Slick 50, Prolong, T-plus, what ever happened to these guys? - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-18-2008, 01:31 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Slick 50, Prolong, T-plus, what ever happened to these guys?

Not sure why, I was sitting around and started thinking about all those oil additive companies and realized that I never see commercials about them anymore. I never used any of it but was wondering if anyone here ever did? I know that every top fuel team had the Prolong logo on their trailers but I seriously doubt that they used it, not likely that an oil additive would do much for those motors. Anyway, just wanted to see if it worked for anyone or at least seemed to work. Chris

65 Fastback tube chassis
blown alcohol A head 572
"A Team member"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-19-2008, 12:17 AM
s_stang

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
I had the pleasure of rebuilding a Corvette engine once. The guy wanted more HP and the engine was running. The ppl used slick 50. The cylinders were in good condition. The crankshaft showed no wear but had a couple of light scratches. I tried to emery cloth the journal but all it did was turn a dull white.. Like plastic would do if ya rubbed it with sandpaper.

So that my encounter with Slick 50..
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-19-2008, 08:22 AM
Forum Contributor

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I was at a company meeting back in 1982 ( in the L.A. area) and Mickey Thompson was a guest speaker that night, and he said something that will stick in my head forever.

He said, " If you have to add any additive to your motor oil to get the needed protection, then that motor oil is inferior to begin with."
When he spoke, everybody listened.

I have never added extra crap in my oil pans since.

Alan Mackin

83 T-Bird 460
83 T-Bird Heritage 5.0 RHO
84 T-Bird 5.0
86 T-Bird 2.3 Turbo NHRA Stock Eliminator
87 T-Bird Turbo Coupe 460
95 Mustang GT 5spd Saphire Blue (purple)
95 Mustang GT auto Saphire Blue (purple)IHRA Pure Stocker

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-19-2008, 02:33 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

that slick 50 works ,when i was 16 i worked at a car repair shop and the owner was a major distributor for slick 50 he would rent a hall and give these sales events for promotions, here where i actually seen this stuff work we has three horizontial shaft briggs and straton engines that had the side case of each engine made from plexiglass i would have to fill them with gas and make sure they ran for an 1/2 hour before each sales event they would all three sit on the ground and run for the whole time with no oil in them it always amazed me to see these things sitting there running and vibrating along the floor in all different directions with no oil in them for so long. one day we took one of the rentail cars and put it on the rack and drained the oil while a bunch of guys whereing suits were standing there watching and i handed im the drain plug we lowered the car and started it it ran for about 5 minutes then he told me to drive it down the road and bring it back past the shop they would be standing in front of the shop when i passed. i did and it made it with what seemed to be no problems except ticking lifters .when i passeed the shop i was running 60 mph, later we filled it back up with oil and put it back in the rental fleet. it never did break down as long as i worked there about 3 years after that. i would have never believed it had i been there
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in