So My Friend Randy Is Driving Down The Highway... - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-18-2008, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)

So My Friend Randy Is Driving Down The Highway...

...just cruising along at about 60 mph in his F150 when something catches the corner of his eye.

At first glance, it looks like a paper cup flying through the air, then...

SMASH!

Electric motor armature through the windshield, glass all over the interior.

Talk about lucky, he was wearing his sunglasses and wow if the impact had been 12 inches to the drivers's side...or if he were riding a motorcycle, it might have all been over for him.

The impact is pretty dramatic in appearance, so thought I'd share. Also, be careful guys; life is fragile and can be over in an instant.

Paul

We're On The Web; Click Below:
High Flow Dynamics
Performance Components for the 429/460 Engine Family
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-18-2008, 07:23 PM

Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Wow! Does he know where it came from? Maybe catastrophic motor failure in a Prius? I'm glad you're friend is OK.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-18-2008, 10:05 PM

Wow! Glad your buddy is okay, wonder if some dipsh## decided to throw that thing out in traffic, wouldn't surprise me.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-18-2008, 10:12 PM

Glad he is ok. I had a similar thing happen to me. The starter fell off an old truck just in front of me! :shock: I was far enough back to straddle it. The lady behind me was too close and ran over it. It went flying and hit the windshield in the car behind her. Landed in the passenger seat. Thankfully no one was sitting there. I managed to get the guy in the old truck stopped and detained til the police got there. He got a preaching and a stack of tickets.

Bill Bennett
Street Head Mafia Wanna Be
"Can't Never Could"
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-18-2008, 10:20 PM

When I lived in Mil. Wi I remeber there was a rash of this happening off the overhead bridges. Several people were killed by bricks and one by a bowling ball. They finally Fenced the overheads tp prevent this.. bad deal.

" A - Head Groupie"
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-18-2008, 11:29 PM

Quoted: 186 Post(s)

Garage
Lucky he wasn't killed. I've seen too many things fly through people's windshields and kill them. Some accidental, some intentional.

Hope he takes it as a sign to get off his *** and do something he's been meaning to do for a while.

Fastest street legal BBF on 460Ford.com
Fastest AFR headed BBF on 460Ford.com
Fastest street legal 2nd gen Montego GT on EARTH!
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-18-2008, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monstermiler
Glad he is ok. I had a similar thing happen to me. The starter fell off an old truck just in front of me! :shock: I was far enough back to straddle it. The lady behind me was too close and ran over it. It went flying and hit the windshield in the car behind her. Landed in the passenger seat. Thankfully no one was sitting there. I managed to get the guy in the old truck stopped and detained til the police got there. He got a preaching and a stack of tickets.
You mean it was loose in the back of the guy's truck, not that it came off the trans and fell out, right?

I remember a kid getting killed in a car near Ft. Dodge IA from a lug nut that came off a semi wheel. It went through the windshield and hit the kid in the head. Of course the truck driver didn't even know anything had happened.

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about answers.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-19-2008, 03:13 AM
RJP

Holy ****....that gives a new meaning to "road hazard" Glad your friend is ok. I'm sure there is a very interesting story as to why an armature was out just flying around.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-19-2008, 03:37 AM

A few weeks ago the company I work for had a fatality. One of our trucks was driving down a divided interstate and the driver felt something wierd so he started to pull over. One of the duels on the back came off and went rolling down the highway, jumped the center wall, and went right into an on coming trucks windshield. The driver of the pickup truck that got hit did not make it. Those tires weigh in excess of 250lbs. It's sad when things like that happen and there is no taking it back once it happens. The only thing you can do is try to prevent it from happening again.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-19-2008, 07:32 AM

I saw the starter dangling underneath the truck, before it broke the battery cable and came flying out.

Bill Bennett
Street Head Mafia Wanna Be
"Can't Never Could"
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-19-2008, 07:51 AM

I was riding my buddy's Suzuki 750 @60mph when I felt a bee sting on my neck.

Hurt so bad I pulled over. It was a cold day and I had a helmet on and a doo rag around my neck. When I took off the rag a penny fell out and my hand came away covered in blood. It was mostly superficial but the rag was pretty wet.

Glad to hear your buddy was OK. There have been too many of those stories Ive heard over the years
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-19-2008, 09:43 AM

$

Damn! Looks like one of those nuclear warheads from an Iranian missile! Those bastards have been test firing at will lately! Suppose it's active?

All joking aside, glad no one was injured. A little more velocity, turned 180 degrees and to the left two foot would not have been good, as if it needed to be turned 180 degrees!

Happy motoring, and keep that head low!
Dave.

Masters Degree in Perverted Idiocy.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-19-2008, 01:49 PM

Quote:
What sort of tickets was he given? Since it was apparently some bolts that either broke or came loose, I don't see how he could be ticketed for it. If it was bolts that were too loose, did he personally install the starter? If he had, could it have been that someone else had loosened the bolts? Maybe someone else's car kicked up a small rock that then got lodged between his flywheel and starter which knocked the starter loose. It would therefore be the driver of the vehicle ahead of him that would be cited for wrongful doing.

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about answers.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-19-2008, 02:48 PM

last fall i was on my bike on the expressway and a 4x4 about a foot long was headed right at me. i just looked down for a second the looked up just in time to lean over a little and it bounced off my left shoulder and hit the windshield of the car behind me. my shoulder hurt for weeks after that
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-19-2008, 02:56 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to mudbogtom
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottJackson
Quote:
What sort of tickets was he given? Since it was apparently some bolts that either broke or came loose, I don't see how he could be ticketed for it. If it was bolts that were too loose, did he personally install the starter? If he had, could it have been that someone else had loosened the bolts? Maybe someone else's car kicked up a small rock that then got lodged between his flywheel and starter which knocked the starter loose. It would therefore be the driver of the vehicle ahead of him that would be cited for wrongful doing.
Scott, I learn to like you more and more every day. Everyone is wondering why. Its because you moved away from Arizona, and made it a much better place. I think if you ever decide to move back, I will have to go hide out in ZephyrBob's garage and freeze the rest of my life so I don't ever have to be near you.

Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in