I really don't know how to say this, - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-19-2008, 12:21 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I really don't know how to say this,

but I felt like I needed to say something. I don't like having to criticize a vendor, but this is ridiculous. I really haven't paid much attention to my intake after getting it back from having the ports raised till tonight. Boy I sure wished I had gone over it really good when I first got it. Yes I am upset!!! I could have done just as good and I am no expert welder. I have almost a $1000 just in the intake, for that much money I would have expected a lot better quality. For a few bucks more I could have got a sheet metal intake made. No I haven't discussed this with the vendor to give him a chance to correct it, as it took him almost a year to port my heads and modify this intake. If he has someone doing this quality of weld what is to make me believe it's going to get better. Now I got a real good $1000 crappy looking doorstop cause no telling how many vacuum leaks this thing has. Shoots the hell out of my EFI project thanks a lot for the crappy work. I posted small pics to help the dial up guys out, but if you wish to see larger detail pics here is the link to my album.
http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n...afilter=images
Here is what really caught my eye and got me to really looking close. This was brand new intake when it was sent out.
Back side of last runner:

Runner behind thermostat housing. Don't even know if one will bolt up.

Runners from underside 4 of eight runners with giant gorilla snot bubbles:

Bill Bennett
Street Head Mafia Wanna Be
"Can't Never Could"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-19-2008, 01:00 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Bill,
I don't even know what to say. It's hard to believe that someone would try to pass this off as professional work. But then again, maybe it's all your fault, after all he only had your parts for a year, maybe you rushed him!

Joe

But it's a dry heat!
post #3 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-19-2008, 01:06 AM

If it was an all-out "hog the heck out of it" port job, then I could understand a break through and need to repair. But yeah, any repairs that could have been machined smooth should have been. How's the inside of the ports look?

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about answers.

post #4 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-19-2008, 01:16 AM Thread Starter

Scott the ports were raised. All those blisters you see are on the bottom side of the runners. Weld material was added to the bottom of the runners and ground from the top side so if it was going to be thin anywhere it would have been the top. Also weld blown out the sides of 2 of the runners, one of the runners it's blown out about 3 fingers wide.

Bill Bennett
"Can't Never Could"
post #5 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-19-2008, 01:19 AM

i would not take it

i would not take it send it back and mmake him pay for another intake and make them pay to have it ported good
post #6 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-19-2008, 02:00 AM

Send a message via MSN to fordsbyjay
I think your intake has the mumps. Take it to a doctor.:lol:

ps: I would be pissed too.

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid-in-sideways, totally worn out, shouting.."holy crap.... what a ride!"
post #7 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-19-2008, 02:56 AM

I see. At least you know they got good penetration with the weld! Kidding aside, I think I could do a better job than that... and I've never welded aluminum before.

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about answers.
post #8 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-19-2008, 08:02 AM

monstermiler - I would make a point to ask the opinion of a few of the professionals on the site. And see what the expectations of the job would have been if they would have performed/done the work. Keeping their opinions/advice to yourself it will give you an idea what is and isn't normal and what to expect.

What intake was this and what heads were they matched to. Was the intake that the gentleman working on up to the potential of the work/task he was asked to perform ?

Looks like all the welding was done from the inside of the runner, was the weld surface on the inside finished cosmetically or was it left rough/welded. You could probably finish/cartridge roll the outside of the intake and hit it with a bead blaster to clean things up cosmetically and be fine.

" A - Head Groupie"
post #9 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-19-2008, 08:46 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastertech70
monstermiler - I would make a point to ask the opinion of a few of the professionals on the site. And see what the expectations of the job would have been if they would have performed/done the work. Keeping their opinions/advice to yourself it will give you an idea what is and isn't normal and what to expect.
I wouldn't put them in that position. I do not believe in pitting vendors against each other on the board. I think even with a signed promise never to reveal their answers they would still refrain from giving me complete answers.
Quote:
What intake was this and what heads were they matched to. Was the intake that the gentleman working on up to the potential of the work/task he was asked to perform ?
I will not discuss the application at this time. The intake was up to the potential and was even recommended by the person doing the work.
Quote:
Looks like all the welding was done from the inside of the runner, was the weld surface on the inside finished cosmetically or was it left rough/welded. You could probably finish/cartridge roll the outside of the intake and hit it with a bead blaster to clean things up cosmetically and be fine.
I would say it was semi finished there are a few ports with a definite edge where the weld material was not feathered into the original material.
Oh so your saying I paid for a partial job. To me it's about Quality of Workmanship. How can someone say how good of a job it is when the person doing the job doesn't take pride in their work and how it is presented. Would you buy a car that was SUPPOSE to run 200mph and get 50 miles to the gallon but half the bolts weren't tightend and the body panels didn't line up. Makes you wonder about the original claims.

Bill Bennett
"Can't Never Could"
post #10 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-19-2008, 09:31 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Garage
So are you gonna tell us all who not to send an intake to?

NIGHTSHADE: 1966 ProStreet Fairlane
Street driven 573 BBF, 4.605 bore A460 block, ported TFS Street heads, JE pistons, 6.8 Eagle rods, 4.3 SCAT crank, Bullet cam, ATI C6, 3.5" X pipe and Dynomax Ultra Flows...thanx Charlie/Lem & Jet Boat Bob!
http://www.jetboatbob.com/
http://bfevansraceparts.com/
post #11 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-19-2008, 10:16 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

bill, glad to see you know how to use a camera, i dont. good thing i suppose. bobn
post #12 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-19-2008, 10:35 AM Thread Starter

At this time I would rather not say who it is.
Thanks Bob I know you are having your problems as well. I hope that you can work something out about it.

Bill Bennett
"Can't Never Could"
post #13 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-19-2008, 10:56 AM

Quoted: 106 Post(s)

Looks to me as if a hole was drilled in that runner to weld a piece of aluminum to the inside.
I have seen some of the best looking welds which were not very strong and vice versa so, I hope for your sake, that is the case.

www.rmcompetition.com

R.M. Competition - The finest Custom Engine Building for any venue ... !
Selling Parts and Supplies from companies I use ... 1(586)909-1591

CUSTOM ground camshafts
Carburetor modifications for specific applications
CNC porting
post #14 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-19-2008, 11:36 AM

[/quote] wouldn't put them in that position. I do not believe in pitting vendors against each other on the board. I think even with a signed promise never to reveal their answers they would still refrain from giving me complete answers. [quote]

Monstermiler

I didn't say to "pit" them against each other, re read my post. I said to ask them the professional opinion and what you could expect from their work. And don't throw their opinions around loosely with " they said" and "he said" all over the internet. They builders on here are "stand up" enough there going to give you accurate/honest answers I think many of them have proved that , time again.

I wish you the best either way.

" A - Head Groupie"
post #15 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-19-2008, 11:37 AM Thread Starter

I hadn't thought about that being a plate. If it was I don't understand why. None of the other ports have that. Those blisters are actually aluminum that has crystallized and is very porous. Up close you can see the grain structure.

Bill Bennett
"Can't Never Could"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in