For the guys who like guns - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-19-2008, 06:39 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

For the guys who like guns

My new ( to me ) 1955 Harrington & Richardson M1 Garand, it's not 100% correct but it's mine and I love it. I purchcased this one from a dealer but I think I'm going to jump through the CMP hoops and get a few more from them when and while I can. I joined the GCA, now I just need to get the firearms activity requirement out of the way.

[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-19-2008, 07:39 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)

Send a message via Yahoo to Devildog
Sweet......Enjoy it......D

'71 Mustang Mach1 370 Truck Motor
'09 Shelby GT500
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-19-2008, 08:05 PM

Man that is sweet and on my list of some day rifles. I have a Styer95 and my baby is a Mosin Nagant 91/30. Love the old military stuff

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-19-2008, 10:29 PM

I really like mine. Got it thru DCM years ago. I changed mine over to .308 to simplify the logistics.

Some people can break a cannon ball, in a sand box, with their bare hands.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-20-2008, 11:31 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankrsc
Man that is sweet and on my list of some day rifles. I have a Styer95 and my baby is a Mosin Nagant 91/30. Love the old military stuff
Well, if you don't want to pay BIG bucks for one, you might want to move "someday" up a little bit. The Civilian Marksmanship Program only has a certain number of M-1's, and when that program ends, I believe the retail prices will jump way up. I think the (about) $650-$700 CMP prices are anchoring the lower side of the market. My 2 cents! :!:

P.S. If you love your 91/30, go try a Finnish M27/M28/M39, they represent the ultimate refinement of the Mosin family. I have won military rifle matches with my M39, and most people have no idea what they are looking at, or why it shoots so well. I think Empire Arms in Fla. has some.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-20-2008, 03:04 PM

my M1 has a date of 7/44 it came from DMC years ago
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFord
Quote:
Well, if you don't want to pay BIG bucks for one, you might want to move "someday" up a little bit. The Civilian Marksmanship Program only has a certain number of M-1's, and when that program ends, I believe the retail prices will jump way up. I think the (about) $650-$700 CMP prices are anchoring the lower side of the market. My 2 cents! :!:

P.S. If you love your 91/30, go try a Finnish M27/M28/M39, they represent the ultimate refinement of the Mosin family. I have won military rifle matches with my M39, and most people have no idea what they are looking at, or why it shoots so well. I think Empire Arms in Fla. has some.
I have got to fire a few (not enough) rounds thru an M39. Very Very nice weapon. I have another 91/30 that was Buba'ed by a previous owner. Short barrel was done right but everything else was rigged. I am working on it now using a Dragonov type stock and clip. The race car has been taking more of my time over the past year I haven't even had any of my rifles out in forever. Anyway I am always on the lookout for cool rifles.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Quote:

I have got to fire a few (not enough) rounds thru an M39. Very Very nice weapon. I have another 91/30 that was Buba'ed by a previous owner. Short barrel was done right but everything else was rigged. I am working on it now using a Dragonov type stock and clip. The race car has been taking more of my time over the past year I haven't even had any of my rifles out in forever. Anyway I am always on the lookout for cool rifles.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 11:03 PM

I have a CMP Garand. I paid $145 for it... I went through the NRA armoring course to acurize it. What a blast!

I had a 100% correct, UNFIRED 6 digit Garand a few years back. I sold it for $1200...

John Strube
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 10:22 AM

Nice piece!!! She's a keeper.

Because of work expenses/gas I no longer have $$$ to buy more guns!

No Sushi Zone
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 06:43 PM

Hey hotrodbird, that is a beautiful H&R M1! You don't see many that pretty. Just remember (sorry if you are already familiar with this...) to only use M2 ball ammo in it, or ammo built to that spec. The M1 has a very sensitive gas recoil system, and is only designed for a powder that is similar to 4895, and a bullet weight of 150 grains. You can really hurt an M1(bend the operating rod) by using commercial spec hunting ammo, especially with the heavier bullets (180-200+ grains). It is possible to use different weight bullets, and different powders, but it should be done with expert guidance following well established recipies SPECIFICALLY for the M1.
Sorry to preach, I don't want to see that great old gun have any problems!!! M2 ball ammo is still available from the CMP, for now.....
Have you come down with a case of "M1 thumb" yet? :lol: :lol: I know I have!!!
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32 Altered
I have a CMP Garand. I paid $145 for it... I went through the NRA armoring course to acurize it. What a blast!

I had a 100% correct, UNFIRED 6 digit Garand a few years back. I sold it for $1200...
$145??? That must have been a while ago!!!! Or you got the bargain of the century.. I bet that shot very well after being accurized, I have shot against a bunch of Camp Perry-types who had stainless Krieger match barrels on theirs, and they shot VERY well!!!

You had, then SOLD, and unfired 6 digit M1??? OH THE HUMANITY!!!!!!!! The way prices are going up, you could have retired on what that was really worth if you had hung onto it....
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Tankrsc, good work to "undo" the bubba job! I've rescued a couple of bubba jobs myself, which was very satisfying.
What a terrible conundrum to have more than one hobby. I know I haven't played with my guns much since I got serious about working on my car, don't have either the time or the money......
Right now I'm trying to ignore several rifles that would like to become part of my pampered group. A friend who sells lots of military stuff has a good No. 1 Enfield, and a 41 series Carcano, and a Jap 7.7 as well, and, well, a few others too....... Must.... have.... control.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 09:23 PM

I CAN'T GO TO WORK TODAY, THE VOICES IN MY HEAD SAID TO STAY HOME AND CLEAN THE GUNS!!!!!!!!!!! WHO CAN ARGUE A POINT LIKE THAT.

Bryan Totten
"When in doubt shoot again"
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 32 Altered

$145??? That must have been a while ago!!!! Or you got the bargain of the century.. I bet that shot very well after being accurized, I have shot against a bunch of Camp Perry-types who had stainless Krieger match barrels on theirs, and they shot VERY well!!!

You had, then SOLD, and unfired 6 digit M1??? OH THE HUMANITY!!!!!!!! The way prices are going up, you could have retired on what that was really worth if you had hung onto it....
I got it in about 1992 or so. The unfired one was nice to look at, but that's all I could do with it! It wasn't any FUN. I also had an M1 carbine I bought for $119 before they cut off imports. A buddy & I reparkerized it & it was great. He was buying them 20 at a time & refurbishing them & selling them at shows. I traded it on an accurized 1991 Colt... Even today, I think I'm money ahead, but I liked the carbine better than the Colt...

Oh yeah, on the loads for shooting an M1... Use a faster powder, like Winchester Ball powder, the slow powders are what damage the guns. I forget the number, but the faster range of .30-06 is safer, the slower range puts too much pressure on stuff & BANGS the op rod.

Trigger jobs are fun to do... I got mine to break at a perfect 4.5 lbs. They taught us how to take pressure off & put it back on if you take too much off.

John Strube
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in