Project Ludicrous Speed - Dyno Day #2 - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-19-2008, 07:10 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Project Ludicrous Speed - Dyno Day #2

So today I went down to the shop and installed my new Siemens Deka 83lb/hr injectors, made a few calibration changes, fired it up...and was rewarded with a car that now streets like a factory street car.

Injector pulsewidth is well off the minimum pulsewidth floor now; above 2ms most of the time. Fuel control at idle is great; it idles at 14.7 on the money. Cruise is also great; it cruises at exactly the values I command in the tables.

Moral of the story...160's are just not fast enough to meter the proper amount of fuel at idle; the 83's work better than the 160's ever did...even when I had the fuel pressure cranked all the way down to 15psi.

As far as power, they were also easier to tune. I had the AFR flat at 11.7:1 at WOT on the 2nd pull, which netted 662 SAE horsepower to the rear wheels at 5500RPM before the engine misfired badly and stopped pulling. I have the gap set to .032 and was a bit surprised I was having ignition issues, until I logged the run and played back the data...14.5PSI at 5500RPM; the boost at the top end is taking off like a rocket; not linear...it's gaining more PSI per RPM above 4000RPM than it did below...it looks almost exponential. Man, that's a lot more boost than I expected. At it's current rate, I'm guessing I'll probably see 18PSI by the time I reach peak power...which surprises me considering the head flow (ported blue thunder B's).

Total advance at 5500 is still 16deg.

Power is 662 to the tires at 5500rpm when it hits the wall due to ignition.

Torque out of the hole is 500ft-lbs, ramping to 650ft-lbs by 5500RPM, where it peaks. The torque is almost flat when you look at it; than you 385! Surprising, considering it's a centrifugal.

Mind you...91 octane pump gas, no advance, and 11.7:1 AFR.

Peak power will be somewhere above 6500rpm and I'll explore that after I regap the plugs. 700 is certainly in the bag. 750 should be very doable. My goal of 1000fwhp may be slightly out of reach on pump gas. In fact, I'm not all that thrilled about seeing 18psi on pump gas without an intercooler; that's usually not such a great idea due to intake temps.

Since I had plenty of other work to do, and this is more than enough power to get to know the car, and I didn't feel like pulling hot plugs, I left it alone for now and diverted my energy to other things that needed attention like brake balance, clutch (hard to engage reverse because clutch doesn't fully disengage), and my installing my new steering wheel, as well as some seat time to dial in the driveability.

I finished all that stuff today, then left my truck at the shop and drove the Cobra home. Man, it sure is nice now that it streets. I was tooling along in traffic at 1600rpm in 6th...smooth, no bucking, no fussyness, just plodding along with a big smile on my face, bugs and all.

Then, near my exit, some guy in a GT500 ran up me and wanted to play. Suddenly my exit didn't seem so important anymore. We slowed it down to about 40mph, I left it in 3rd, and rolled off on the freeway. I think this is probably the first time when he looked over and saw the other car still next to him, because the look on his face was priceless. I then dipped into the throttle in 4th for a few seconds and all I saw in my mirror was teeth from his grin. I think he was happy with that loss. I slowed it down, he cruised on by slowly and did the whole "I'm not worthy" bow while laughing his head off and mouthing "WOW". I grinned and give him a thumbs up and a mouthed "nice car".

That was the end of a great day...now it's time for a shower and a nap!

Byron

www.RaceSystems.com
Home of Project Ludicrous Speed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-19-2008, 09:19 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Re: Project Ludicrous Speed - Dyno Day #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByronRACE

That was the end of a great day...

Byron
I'd say. That whole post is just plainly awesome. Sounds like you have the perfect ride. I know nothing about your setup, but is it sleeper? Do you have A/C, stock hood, etc. If so, with that much power, and all the luxuries of a modern day vehicle... all I can say is WOW! One of these days... when i win the lottery, I will give you a call and I will build me one. Congrats

Sharpen your pitchforks and light your torches... 'CHANGE' is coming!

We say grace, and we say ma'am, if you ain't into that we don't give a damn... cause a country boy can survive!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-19-2008, 10:06 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Re: Project Ludicrous Speed - Dyno Day #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by skosler
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByronRACE

That was the end of a great day...

Byron
I'd say. That whole post is just plainly awesome. Sounds like you have the perfect ride. I know nothing about your setup, but is it sleeper? Do you have A/C, stock hood, etc. If so, with that much power, and all the luxuries of a modern day vehicle... all I can say is WOW! One of these days... when i win the lottery, I will give you a call and I will build me one. Congrats
Yeah, he's got A/C alright, but it is actually AC, as in AC Cobra. He's got that much power in a Cobra. He should seek counseling for putting that much power in a little car. Follow the link in his signature over to the pics of his car, top shelf!
BTW, Byron has been a HUGE help to me as I get moving on building a Paxton-blown street car of my own. I can't image the money and grief he has saved me.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-19-2008, 10:30 PM Thread Starter

Thanks...

Thanks guys, the car is a 1982 West Coast Cobra body and frame...the rest of it is a fairly dramatic deviation of stuff I cobbed together. The west coast car has 96" wheel base and a fatter rear than most. And, lots of steel framework...overkill really. Mine is a 3000lb package; almost right on the money; without driver.

The power train is a blown/injected 429 based 385 series coupled to a dodge viper 6spd (tremec T56). The engine is .030 over, stock stroke, 7.88:1 compression, Blue Thunder B heads, Victor 4500 intake. The blower is a V7-JT cogged at an 80/30 ratio at the moment. The blower brackes and intake stuff is one-off.

The next decision I have to make is to keep the boost or tone it down prior to proceeding to find the power peak somewhere around 7000rpm. I'll plot intake temps and other data tomorrow and see where we're at. If I'm seeing intake temps much over 220deg F due to the boost level, I'll probably back the boost off before I wind it further. I don't like how touchy the tune gets when intake temps get real hot. On race gas, fine...but this is a 91 octane piss gas deal. The boost looks like it's really coming on rapidly at this rpm, and with that comes heat. I don't want to flash-detonate at 7000rpm; you might not get a 2nd chance on that deal.

As far as luxuries, this car has little. No roof, no radio, no hearing left when you get home. Hell, it doesn't even have wipers! It does have a GREAT heater though...which I'll make less great as soon as I finish the sheetmetal work to keep the exhaust heat from getting into the passengers compartment.

But, I do want to point out one very important feature. It's a hybrid. It burns GAS and RUBBER. I've got one of those hybrid badges off of a friends hybrid toyota. I'm going to make a little valence for the rear that has that on it, with the "Burns both GAS and RUBBER" statement after it. I need a little valence to clean up the rear frame rail that protrudes...that should do nicely

www.RaceSystems.com
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-20-2008, 10:23 AM Thread Starter

Video Snippet

This is admittedly a teaser; the battery on the camera died...sorry.

http://www.youtube.com/v/BlmjV6cTfFk

www.RaceSystems.com
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-20-2008, 11:44 PM

Great post, glad to hear things are working out so well. Thank thing should be one scary ride when done.

We found out last season plug gap and valve spring pressures are very important on boosted aplications. I sure you'll have it revving to your liking soon.
walter grosse
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-21-2008, 04:58 AM

Boost is a function of the blower feeding more air than the engine can ingest. More boost does not always equal more performance.

If you are getting sudden increase in boost cam timing can be adjusted if the intake and exhaust tract are optimum. You can also try slowing the blower down to to see if HP picks up.

I'm sure I'm not telling you something you don't already know. You are light years ahead of me technologically.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-22-2008, 10:51 AM Thread Starter

Agreed.

I'm going to do a few things before returning to the dyno...

1. Reduce boost with the 40 tooth driven cog instead of the 30. I don't want 14.5psi of boost at peak torque on pump gas; even if it means I make less power.

2. TDC the engine, check the timing and make a better timing pointer.

3. Inspect the distributor gear again.

4. Disconnect the bypass valve and leak-check the system at 3000rpm closed throttle.

5. Check the fuel pressure regulator to make sure it's increasing fuel pressure 1:1 with boost.

6. Pull the plugs, see what the electrode looks like and post to get advice from the group regarding heat range. Reduce gap, install new plugs.

7. Fix the fan control so I can get the engine over 170deg F. It takes about 30 minutes at idle/cruise to get the oil up to temp at present. I think my cooling system is big enough. :')

From this, I'll be assured the spark and fuel is right. I have a hunch it's at least 5deg BTDC retarded from where I think it is because this engine seems a little too "detonation proof" considering what I'm seeing in some of my logs. During one pull I hit 14.5:1 AFR at 5000rpm with 14lbs of boost and didn't hear a single ping or a single chuff out of the exhaust. That seems wrong; it should ping under those conditions on piss gas...badly...unless I screwed the timing up; which is possible. I'm good at screwing things up.

Anyway...more on the saga soon, I'll probably be back at the dyno in early May just before the Western States Cobra Bash.

Byron

www.RaceSystems.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in