launch video - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 04:31 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 04:37 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

so what was wrong with that launch ???? just looked a little lazy off the line !!! motor sounds great ....

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 04:45 PM Thread Starter

The car is launching better Bruno almost there :lol: . I am getting ready to put the dominator intake and carb on it and show you a lazy launch in few weeks you little NOS eatin junkie :twisted: . :mrgreen:

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 04:46 PM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)

Front wheels need to be another 1/4" off the pavement :P

B F Evans Race Parts
270-278-2376
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 04:52 PM

im not trying to be funny Randy ---- what is your 60'?? the car just looks slow off the line for a 5.50 car thats all ----- sorry .... im sure you will spank me at the bash !!! NOT :lol: :lol:

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 05:10 PM Thread Starter

I am just bs ing with you Bruno you did not hurt my feelings any :lol: . The car was 60' 1.21 last night and ran within .04 of its quickest et my partner was .08 off , so I was pleased considering the weather conditions.

You got to remember this is not a mountain motor , just a 466 lifting .650 at the valve. I personally think it should 60' 1.17-1.18 , but thats just me thinking :lol: .

The car ran flawlessly last night , got a .0001 red exit to the trailer , but the car ran within .003 each pass. I must admit I was amazed how much the wing stabilized the car on the top end , I was not expecting it to help that much.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 05:28 PM

i know you are --- it must just be the angle of the launch --- it just doesnt shock the tires hard --thats all ----

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 05:37 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Low is fast....................... 8)

69 Grande'
P51 headed 563
3070#'s
5.15 @ 134.89
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 07:36 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Bruno, don't confuse the limited suspension travel that is common to full chassis cars as it being a slow suspension "hit". Also their lower C/G can kinda give a missleading impression on how violent the launch might actually be.

If you look at the clip repeatedly you will see that there is indeed a decent amount of front & rear suspension energy being exerted. Notice how initially the rear suspension does separate from the body, the wheelie bars move away from the bumper, & the rim does wind-up and pound the sidewall down into the track surface. And it all happens quite effectively, almost all at the same moment in time. This is a nice looking launch for a full chassis car considering it's not a giant motor or on the bottle.

There is still a very slight bounce during recovery after the initial hit. But it does look much better & more under control (restrained) than it did before.

Nice job Randy.

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.S. Dave::
460 street '66 Ranchero.......................finished someday.
460 race '70 Maverick..........................finished someday.
All 'glass Top Sportsman '69 Mustang......ummm, check back when I win big playing the Texas Lotto, or online poker.
My youtube page. Some ancient & newer local race video.

Join the Poker Players Alliance (theppa.org). US online poker should NOT be turned into a crime.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 07:48 PM

youve got me analizing alot of video Dave ---- its great im learning alot ...
i do understand what you are saying and i can see that with Randy 's car -- but like you said there seems to be a rebound bounce after the intail hit..

thxs for the insight Dave

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 08:36 PM
kim

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Cure it with power.... power through it and its going to be lots faster.

The rebound is ofcourse the CG oscilation when the weight transfere diminishes. Add more forward go.... and it will carry the CG longer.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 09:38 PM Thread Starter

What do you think it needs Dave ? I was thinking about moving the ic out just a bit , but during time trials I was adjusting the shocks and it seemed to like a softer extension setting. I think I have them on 6 compression and 2 extension (clicks from full soft).

I am beginning to wonder if my little motor just don't have enough to keep the long / low wheelbase loaded.

I could feel the car set it down during recovery , but it sure felt like it was getting the front end up from the seat of the pants feel. The video shows differently though :lol: .
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 06:09 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

I'm with Kim on this one, more power would be a great way to help keep the initial load applied to the suspension for a longer period of time helping to keep the car "up-on" the tire longer. It's possible to have too much tire (& too much w/b) for a given amount of power (no matter the type of car/suspension) to where the car can't keep the sidewall wound-up & applied very long. This can wind & unwind the sidewall repeatedly in the first 100 ft bouncing the car some. If you had a bunch more power/touque to work with I would say add at least another 1/2 to 1 pound of air & tighten the rear extension to at least 60 -70% of full tight, while leaving the I/C & rear compression as is for now.

But since your getting closer & closer to what the car want's for the current power level, those two normal "first on the list" adjustments may or may not help much at current power levels to help smooth the small recovery bounce. On the other hand testing is the only way to know for sure. If the bounce is from the initial hit being too violent causing a rebound bounce during recovery as the sidewall unwinds, the extension valving can be adjusted stiffer to slow down the speed of the initial hit.

If it's really just "sidewall bounce" that's a little trickier to diagnose the cause. The sidewall can bounce like a spring it your not running enough air pressure. But well after the initial hit and well into the suspension recovery (as the suspension settles) sidewall bounce can also be from the rear compression valving being too stiff causing a sidewall oscillation to start.

I will say that your current rear extension valving setting (2 from full soft) is so loose that it kinda sounds scary to me (and probably why you see the rear suspension & wheelie bars move so fast & unrestrained initially) Play with the air pressure & the extension valving some more first in small amounts to see what happens to the bounce. An I/C change is a major change & a last resort after the shock valving & air pressure has been tried first.

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.S. Dave::
460 street '66 Ranchero.......................finished someday.
460 race '70 Maverick..........................finished someday.
All 'glass Top Sportsman '69 Mustang......ummm, check back when I win big playing the Texas Lotto, or online poker.
My youtube page. Some ancient & newer local race video.

Join the Poker Players Alliance (theppa.org). US online poker should NOT be turned into a crime.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in