Staging the Mustang - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 11:35 PM
s_stang

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Staging the Mustang

I was over at the NHRA page looking at the results and the R/T times.. Ol' Les needs some help.. hehee

So.. I usually pull up and bearly turn on the light.. But I do know I can roll a few inches afterward without turning off the top light. So.. should I roll a lil foward or it don't matter?

What do ya think??

Les
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 12:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Send a message via MSN to Larry_Williams
might improve a slow short time a little
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 04:37 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

It will improve a slow reaction time, but the et and 60' imes will be a little slower. Its best to just barely bump in.

Watch video :lol:

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 08:03 AM
kim

Barely bump in, then learn the reaction time of the car. Most people leave on the start of the last yellow light. Some cars that are a little lazy, get a 1 count on the second last yellow light and go... Have to practice to what works for your car, but you take advantage of that roll out distance to get a running head start before the timer ever starts. If your all the way to the other side of the roll out, your reaction time trips the timmer sooner, but the car is doing 1mph versus 5 or 10 when the timming system starts "counting" the pass.

Same reason there are/were staging wars. When you stop the car, even the momentum from as slow a motion as staging, when the staging triggerd the tree, the last car to stage had forward energy still that hadn't dissipated,, so as he/she mashed the gas, it was a little more than the other guy had, that had dissipated that energy at a dead stop.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 12:34 PM

Bump in

I use a barely bump in technique also. My opinion is if you go any further you have no way of knowing how far in you are. This makes your reaction times inconsistent. If you are in the same spot all the time (barely in",your reaction times can be managed better. Check out how many "holeshot" wins there are in the professional ranks of IHRA and NHRA. I believe the reaction time is the most important factor to good bracket racing. A routine that includes how and where you stage the car is imperative.

Good luck
Kerry

Kerry Clark
1968 Coupe Mustang, 466, 2388 lbs.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 01:28 PM
jm

les, how fast is your stang running now ? I have not seen any time slips from you lately. I am curious about your dove headed 521 with that cam , cause i might change to that combo , thanks. "JAY' 8)
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 10:53 PM
s_stang

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm
les, how fast is your stang running now ? I have not seen any time slips from you lately. I am curious about your dove headed 521 with that cam , cause i might change to that combo , thanks. "JAY' 8)

So far 10.2 @ 134Mph

Les
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 10:57 PM

need transbrake and delay box, just turn button loose on the first bulb and hang on..............

69 Grande'
P51 headed 563
3070#'s
5.15 @ 134.89
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 10:59 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)

I found..

I found that when i switched from a 750 Vac Sec to a 950 HP Double pumper, my car turned into a redlight machine. I was anticipating the last light, and the car was leaving better. I tried watching the first light, ignoring the middle, and using the last light like a pro tree. It worked so well that I only redlit by -.006 on Saturday at FFW at VMP during time trials. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol:

In the first round of eliminations, I cut an .0xx light, but totally blew the tires off the car. My normal 60 foot there is 1.6x, and this one was 2.1. I was like WTF???? It felt like I was on ice. Then I went back to the pits, and the guy with the black Maverick pitted next to me took the whole side off of his car when he left in the same lane and drove right into the wall. This was a tubbed out car with a BIG slick. I don't think VMP is run by Ford fans. :? I have heard them (I work with some of them) bragging about making the track so sticky that cars were shearing wheel studs and breaking stuff................

Oh, and while I'm on a rant, it cost 50 bucks for me to get in the gate as a "racer", and 35 bucks for my crew (Ellen). When I got teched in, they took another 35 bucks to run in the Quick Ford class. That is 120 bucks to have the privilege of running that weekend. :evil:

OK Les, sorry for hijacking your thread and whining all over the place.

Where's my beer and that half inch wrench?

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u...cecar066-1.jpg
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 10:59 PM
s_stang

Ok guys.. I'm listening.. Will work on your suggestions.. Every time out I go a lil faster and it's because of all your help.. "Thank You so Much"!!!!

Les
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 11:01 PM
s_stang

Quote:
Originally Posted by richter69
need transbrake and delay box, just turn button loose on the first bulb and hang on..............
Nope.. running in a non elect Summit series class next year..

Les
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 11:06 PM
s_stang

Re: I found..

Quote:
Originally Posted by cletus66
I found that when i switched from a 750 Vac Sec to a 950 HP Double pumper, my car turned into a redlight machine. I was anticipating the last light, and the car was leaving better. I tried watching the first light, ignoring the middle, and using the last light like a pro tree. It worked so well that I only redlit by -.006 on Saturday at FFW at VMP during time trials. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol:

In the first round of eliminations, I cut an .0xx light, but totally blew the tires off the car. My normal 60 foot there is 1.6x, and this one was 2.1. I was like WTF???? It felt like I was on ice. Then I went back to the pits, and the guy with the black Maverick pitted next to me took the whole side off of his car when he left in the same lane and drove right into the wall. This was a tubbed out car with a BIG slick. I don't think VMP is run by Ford fans. :? I have heard them (I work with some of them) bragging about making the track so sticky that cars were shearing wheel studs and breaking stuff................

Oh, and while I'm on a rant, it cost 50 bucks for me to get in the gate as a "racer", and 35 bucks for my crew (Ellen). When I got teched in, they took another 35 bucks to run in the Quick Ford class. That is 120 bucks to have the privilege of running that weekend. :evil:

OK Les, sorry for hijacking your thread and whining all over the place.
No worries Jeff.. I'm with ya buddy.. At least ya brought it to the gun fight.. That is much more then most do.. Hat's off to you and Ellen on your effort.. You guys rock for sure.. Keep trying.. that's what I keep telling myself..

Les
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 11:12 PM
s_stang

Quote:
Originally Posted by ky mustang
It will improve a slow reaction time, but the et and 60' imes will be a little slower. Its best to just barely bump in.

Watch video :lol:

Thank you Randy.. I'll watch it every day for the next two weeks.. Awesome Bro!

Les
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in