Gas station fraud? - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 11:08 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)

Garage
Gas station fraud?

Just filled up one of my vehicles. It has a 19 gallon gas tank and the needle was on E. Funny thing is, I paid for 20.72 gallons. I guess in the abstract, I could have been running on the fuel in the line when I pulled in, and the filler hose/neck could hold 1.72 gallons, but I'm more inclined to think the station is skimming.

I've heard about how some stations rig the pumps to skim a little when you pump more than 5 gallons because the state only uses 5 gallon cans to verify that they're not ripping people off.

My question is, if it were you, would you call the state about these guys?

Fastest street legal BBF on 460Ford.com
Fastest AFR headed BBF on 460Ford.com
Fastest street legal 2nd gen Montego GT on EARTH!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 11:12 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

here in minnesota the pumps are all maintained by the company that leases them out. the owner/operator of the station has nothing to do with calibration etc. unless it is some sleazy old time off to the side place i doubt that anyone would even bother to freak around with them. jmho. bobn
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 11:12 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

i would go back there and get eather 2 5gallon contaners or one contaner that holds more than 5 gallons
fill it up and that way you have a clear and accurat way to find out
and if you have a buddy that would video you doing it that way you have proof
and yes of course call them in
we pay to much as it is

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 11:30 PM

I agree take a couple 5 gallon jugs that are marked as precisely as you can and have someone video you. I have seen one station caught at that and they ended up being fined into oblivion (turns out it wasn't the first time they had been caught)and I feel anyone that steals like that deserves anything they get.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 11:51 PM

Carl,

Did the same thing...My driver holds 15.4 gallons including reserve, pumped 16.4. I made mention to the cashier, got the "they(pumps) are checked weekly BS" :roll: :twisted:

Rick S.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 11:55 PM

Tested" weakly" to adjust for their profits.

Tom Williams
Big Block 36 Ford 1 ton truck 460 5spd
1929 Ford Model A
1972 Gran Torino Sport
1987 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
2006 Ford Ranger
http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/b...emod4fun36.jpg
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-02-2008, 12:20 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I guess my question is, without being a thread killer...how do you know that the tank truly holds 19 gallons? I have a "25 gal." tank in the truck & routinely get more than that in there, at a variety of stations. It wouldn't surprise me to find that one of them is cheating me blind, but probably not all of them. ("Of course just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're not out to get you"-George Carlin)

Of course the poly tanks are notorious for slightly changing sizes along with outside conditions. Also, the filler neck can hold a lot too depending on design. My Scout filler pipe holds waaay over a gallon itself, without being close to the cap.

And then there's the old "fill it up in the AM, not the PM" theory...

Mike

IN: Staring adversity in the face while working on your car and coming out on top

OUT: Finally realizing that every $%&# thing you touch on your car turns to adversity
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-02-2008, 02:07 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

there is a gas station a block from my work that does that too... i filled up my probe from empty and it took 16.6 gallons... before that day id never been able to get more than 15.3 in... so i never went back there for gas again.

just another dual quad 545 :-)
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-02-2008, 02:11 AM

A few years ago I filled up my 14 gallon fuel cell and somehow managed to pump over 20 gallons in it. I mentioned it and they got an attitude about it. That was until the cops showed up to take my statement. Not sure what ever happened to them but the cop was pissed and sayed he was going to contact the state about it.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-02-2008, 06:08 AM

If you suspect there is something wrong, then I would report it to your Dept. of Agriculture. This just recently made the news in Texas, and it happened to their Commissioner of Agriculture when he was filling up his car. They found out that about 72% of the pumps were tilted in favor of the station owner.
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-02-2008, 06:50 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Re: Gas station fraud?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarsByCarl
Just filled up one of my vehicles. It has a 19 gallon gas tank and the needle was on E. Funny thing is, I paid for 20.72 gallons. I guess in the abstract, I could have been running on the fuel in the line when I pulled in, and the filler hose/neck could hold 1.72 gallons, but I'm more inclined to think the station is skimming.

I've heard about how some stations rig the pumps to skim a little when you pump more than 5 gallons because the state only uses 5 gallon cans to verify that they're not ripping people off.

My question is, if it were you, would you call the state about these guys?
They do the same 5 gallon test here and get stations all of the time, they also occasionally find water in the gas.
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-02-2008, 08:18 AM

Send a message via MSN to fordsbyjay
I filled up my truck with diesel last month and managed to put almost 40 gallons in it. Book value is 44 gallons but I have had this truck for 6 years and have never put more than about 38 gallons in it when I am below E. I usually fill up when I get down to 1/8 and it only holds 33-34 gallons. I was well above 1/8 tank this time as well.

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid-in-sideways, totally worn out, shouting.."holy crap.... what a ride!"
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-02-2008, 08:20 AM

In this day and age of high fuel costs, I'd be on the horn for sure. Back when it was a buck a gallon, I'd get irritated when my 3.3 gallon motorcycle tank would take over 4 gallons, but I'd deal with it. Now, not so much. I think we have to call weights and measures in PA, but I'm not even certain.
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-02-2008, 08:20 AM

Carl call the state weights and measures dept tell witch station and they will have a record for it . If' it's off they red tag it right away and it has to fixed asap. They follow up very fast.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-02-2008, 08:38 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to moparman
Gas tanks are designed to allow for a certain amount of expansion so it's feasible that that you could pump more fuel into the tank than the tank is rated to hold. While going to school at UTI in Phoenix I was told about how people would overfill their tanks to the point of filling up the vapor canister with fuel. My recomendation would be to see how much fuel it takes when it first clicks off and make sure you have the nozzle on the lowest setting when checking this.
But I also think we need to keep the gas stations honest. If it's off more than a gallon or two I think I'd be calling somebody.

Bumblebee tuna...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in