Link to images of Byron's Car at Thunderhill - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-02-2008, 06:00 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Garage
Link to images of Byron's Car at Thunderhill

http://larrysacksphoto.smugmug.com/g...17692771_q6GNm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-02-2008, 06:22 PM
kim

Great pics, you need to shrink about 4" or drop the seat pan about that far. Unless you intended to build a 4 wheel motorcycle, your big head waving up there in the breeze goes against design concept.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-03-2008, 01:21 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I know they put a blister on the rough so Gurney could drive the Ford GT. Does anyone know if he ever raced a Cobra? You don't have to be very tall to stick up pretty far in those things.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-03-2008, 01:45 PM
kim

I don't think anyone fits inside the windshield line on the original. See pic 11, with the blue one behind you. Much like the windscrean on motorcycles and or even F 1 cars, the screan blows the air-stream up over you. The concern is your sitting about 4" above the other driver... smaller frame perhaps, but he is shoulder at door edge, and you are elbow..... his roll hoops are just above head line, your bar, about 6 " below your headline... If your on an installed seat, I'de look at something custom that you could pull lots of that height out. I would also look at a bar that put you under the roll protection, not part of it...
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-04-2008, 12:28 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

One photo the Cobra looks like this , I like the car Byron, I think it is the best looking Cobra I have seen.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-04-2008, 02:42 PM

Roll Bar

The roll bar has 2 mounting positions...I can raise it 4"; which would be a good idea for the track...and detracts from the look of the car otherwise. I'm a big guy. If you think I stick up a lot in this car, you should see me in a vintage correct Cobra. My chin is even with the top of the windshield in a superformance if I sit up straight; not to mention that I can't drive one without sawsalling out the dash. If my *** was any lower in my car, I'd be through the floor pan. Most guys install visors, and flip them vertically to help buffet the wind. Without a helmet on, the windshield works fine and the bar is about even with the top of my head; still rather low. I should probably raise it some in both "modes". If you go to ClubCobra.Com and look at the photos from the Western States Cobra Bash, you won't find a helmet below a bar except for the Spec Racer cars. Doesn't make it right; just pointing out that there's a conflict between what looks good and what works good. What I have is better than most as far as strength and height goes...but it should be better considering what I intend to do (and have done) with the car.

I've been thinking about the possibility of an external cage of sorts as well...so I can race this car in events that regulate such things. Something bolt-on and external. There's no way to make it look good; but there are ways to get it done and make it easy to R&R without cutting up the body. Probably wise, considering.

Thanks for the pics Matt, I really like some of those shots and hope Larry will be at future events.

Thanks for your kind words guys...

Byron

www.RaceSystems.com
Home of Project Ludicrous Speed
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-04-2008, 02:45 PM

Catfish Cobra

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpierce55
One photo the Cobra looks like this , I like the car Byron, I think it is the best looking Cobra I have seen.
I'm thinkin it looks like this...

Thanks though!

lol

www.RaceSystems.com
Home of Project Ludicrous Speed
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-05-2008, 12:15 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

With the amount of power you have in that Cobra, you should have a funny car cage around your head. :shock: :lol: :lol:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in