Home alarm systems. - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-08-2008, 03:27 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Home alarm systems.

Anyone here have a home security system (besides a gun or dog)? I have been looking into ADT custom with cameras. I noticed yesterday where someone tried to jimmy my back door. (Could have been a kid but you never know.)

93 528cu Lightning
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-08-2008, 03:44 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

have you seen this?

http://www.lasershield.net/

Sharpen your pitchforks and light your torches... 'CHANGE' is coming!

We say grace, and we say ma'am, if you ain't into that we don't give a damn... cause a country boy can survive!
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-08-2008, 04:06 PM

I have an ADT system on my home and in my shop. Got the motion detector's in the house as well. It was a good investment, my house insurance went down too.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-08-2008, 04:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

It depends on A) what you want, B) where you live, and C) what your potential robber clientèle is.

You have to decide on whether you want to scare them away or catch them in the act. If you have relatively poor police response times, you're better off scaring them away in the first place, rather than depending on a silent system that notifies the local police dept..

Having fake cameras, sufficient protected outdoor lighting, and signs/labels will keep the kids, druggies, and casual burglars away....getting an audible alarm system will get rid of almost everyone else.

The .001% percent left are either severe tweakers that won't care regardless, or pros who can get around most of the good systems anyway....GOOD systems aren't cheap to install or maintain.

Most of the cops I know think alarm systems are more or less a joke, designed to put money in the security companies pockets & give the homeowner false peace of mind. They SOMETIMES can make you eligible for a discount on your homeowners' insurance, which may tip the scales.

Do a lot of research & talk to others in your area who have particular companies...the local offices can vary quite a bit, and a, say, ADT, Tyco, whoever office in one place may get high marks, while another in a different location may have issues.

Just my $.02, based on personal exp.

Mike

IN: Staring adversity in the face while working on your car and coming out on top

OUT: Finally realizing that every $%&# thing you touch on your car turns to adversity
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-08-2008, 04:29 PM Thread Starter

I know I would get a discount on my home insurance.

93 528cu Lightning
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 09:00 AM

Alarm

Well, I never thought I needed one until my daughter's ex-boyfriend broke into our house on New Year's eve a couple of years ago. We were only gone for an hour and came home to the break-in. It could have been worse but it made me think of what could have been. He didn't get in the garage, just took some stuff he could sell quick. He went to prison, was his 50+ break-in and they finally decided he might be a thief. I got a monitored system in the house and garage. It's a pain, as I set it off every now and then but I feel better being away racing like we are so much.
Jim N.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 03:26 PM Thread Starter

Everyone in my neighborhood has been broken into at some point in time over the last 20 years. I have already caught one car load of kids pulling into my driveway, turning their lights off and get out. Little did they know I was watching them from my nextdoor neighbors house. Needless to say I went barreling across my neighbors yard and through my yard trying to get to them! I don't think I have seen kids run that fast. :lol:

Anyway, I'd like to keep what little the Lord blessed me with. I figure i would give Brinks and ADT a try to see what they have. I tried doing a internet search but I was mainly interested in a trusted company.

PS. I did catch the kids and ran the plate to find out exactly who they where.

93 528cu Lightning
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 04:14 PM

Food for thought, my sister pushed and held the panic button on the key fob (it was dark outside) at my parents house with adt. They(adt) called the box asking for the all clear code and my dad ignored it for 20 minutes then called adt back to tell them it was an accident. Oh and they ask for a relatives number so if the alarm does get tripped they call them first, but in reality wtf are they going to do?

I'm less than impressed with ADT.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 04:17 PM

Re: Home alarm systems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jones
Anyone here have a home security system (besides a gun or dog)? I have been looking into ADT custom with cameras. I noticed yesterday where someone tried to jimmy my back door. (Could have been a kid but you never know.)
I used to install them as a "sideline" business.

Indy Pete here on the forum is IN the business.

Matter of fact I need to call him, I need some alarm work myself.

I wouldnt pay for monitoring, its a rip off.

And Id install it myself. It's easy.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 04:32 PM
Forum Contributor

We have an ADT system in our home.

I would recommend both the theft and fire monitored systems. If you have pets; it gives them a chance if you are not home and there is a fire.

We get a discount on our insurance as well.

14 years in this house and no break-ins. Maybe we are just lucky but my guess is our house has an ADT sign in front of it and other houses in our neighborhood don't--which house would you rob?

My 2 cents worth.

Bruce

Any day drag racing is a GOOD day.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 05:56 PM

I added 2 motion flood lamps, have a territorial dog and I keep a light on out front. I have an ADT sign as well. One of the best things to do is ALWAYS have a relationship with your neighbors. We compare stories about every other day. Also I encourage them to call the cops for any infraction.
Loud idiots out front, siphoned gas, stolen beer etc. I make sure the cops know we have a problem. Most times I hear "someone stole all my change out of my cupoholder last night" When I ask if they called the cops most times they say "why, it was only 50 cents.?" I say that it was a crime, make the cops aware.

Its getting to be weekly that one of my neighbors gets a car, garage, house or lawn furniture stolen.

I am shopping for cameras now and I have a motion alarm in my garage but its junk. Ill be getting a better one soon. My house is so trashed that they can have all that ****. The garage is another story.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 09:42 PM

I would highly recommend a good hard wired alarm system. And a monitoring service as well. The discount off my home owners insurance just about covers my yearly monitoring fee. I am with Doyle and have had good service from them. I also would buy a few security cameras that can upload to the net. They have come way down in price now. I would place them kind of hidden so they capture everything well if needed. If they are in plan site they will be smashed ASAP. Also place them where you highly stolen items are. Gun area, electronics, jewelry or tools. have the imaging uploaded to a off site server not to you home computer. You can buy space from your ISP or many other places. Being that your computer will probably get stolen on a break in, having it store the photos is not a real good idea. Plus you can check out your house from anywhere in the world on the net. Also always keep a few items near by at night time. Small mag type light, some sweat pants, a secured but quick retrievable firearm, cell phone and some tie wrap type quick cuffs. You never know what you are going to run into. You can't always blast everybody even if the law is on your side. When you find some ten year old kid breaking in your house and you put a 1/2" vent in there head you are going to have legal problems. But if you just draw down on them nine out of ten time your wish will be there command. Then you can cuff them and have your wife hold them while you catch the other(s). Always have a plan with everyone in your house. And make sure you know where they are before you start blasting. My wife is all dialed in and she knows that if someone breaks in when we are home they will be bagged and tagged.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 10:09 PM

did the broke into house thing 10 years ago, ever since we have had a Protection one system on the house and shop.

This house we live in now has the deal if the phone lines are cut it automaticly goes to a cell tower and alerts the company. I have accidently set it of before and the phone is ringing before I get it shut off to be sure everything is ok...passewords etc etc.

never had to "use" it, but damn glad we got the sucker.

Shop has sensors on the doors and one motion (no windows) house has all the doors, motions, and glass breakage in the kids room.

.44 magnaum is loaded and close at hand, I will no hesitate to ventilate some asshole heaven forbids he trys to jack with my stuff.

The signs and stickers are a good deterent, but you need the real deal in case you ever really do need it. Close retired neighbor with an AK dont hurt either............

69 Grande'
P51 headed 563
3070#'s
5.15 @ 134.89
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 10:22 PM

Costco online sells a dvr system with 7 cameras. pretty slick and economical. you can monitor all the cameras on your tv, and view it online while away.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-12-2008, 12:54 AM

You can monitor it yourself , have it call your cell phone its quicker. Ive proved it . I used to put these things in, An auto dialer is twice as fast as a monitored system and Insurance companies now HAVE to honor autodialers, law suit by the dialer people made that happen.

dont give some yo yo 30 bucks a month to do what you can set up yourself> thats nuts. indy pete will tell you, you dont have to use your phone lines, it can go through your cable modem and send you a text message when it is tripped, then you can call 911 FASTER than the MONITORING PEOPLE. Ive proven this in a side by side test at a busines ( pawn shop ) we broke in on purpose and timed the response time of both. guess which one was quicker? it wasnt the monitoring service.

police got the call from the autodialer quicker. lets see the quciker response would save your pets sooner

all you guys who own one of these giving advice, tell me how many have you installed? I've put in over 100. and that was on the side.

thanks

take care.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in