buy a new truck or keep fixing the old one? - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 04:21 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

buy a new truck or keep fixing the old one?

My wife says I am losing money on down time and repairs. My powerstoke has over 500k on it and I just got it up and running again to the tune of $1200 in parts and my labor(save for the A/C evac and charge). Things I replaced:

A/C compressor, condenser, dryer, orifice tube
original water pump, fan clutch, t-stat, hoses, belt
flushed dirt out of radiator fins, intercooler
harmonic dampner(separating), front oil seal
intercooler elbows

Maybe she is right and a truck payment would be a better route to go in the long run. The way I look at it, if I were to buy an '02-'03 7.3, I would be doing the same maintenance and repairs to it. If I bought an $$$ '08, I couldn't wrench on it and hopefully wouldn't need to for a while. At least I wouldn't be wrenching as much on my days off. It seems some companies hang into the old equipment and do repairs, while other companies buy new every 3-5 years. I suppose part of me is waiting for the motor to go, that would solve my dilemma...as long as I am not out somewhere in the desert. :shock: :lol:

I will have to replace the truck eventually...I guess it's just a matter of when.

Rick S.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 04:37 PM
Forum Contributor

Rick,

Give Lem a call. Dealers here in Florida are giving BIG discounts on the F-250s on the lot.

Can't be a better time to buy!

Heads up--mileage on the 6.4 is not that good. Great truck, not sorry for buying one but it hurts every time I go to Sunoco.

:lol:

Any day drag racing is a GOOD day.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 04:40 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I will say this: Until two years ago I was driving an old GMC Suburban, I loved it, it rode great, and it got about 17-19mgp not bad for a super sled. Eventually I started having problems with it and dropped $900 in about 7 months, and more problems popped up. It lived great, but I realized with the price of gas and repairs I needed to drop it and buy a new vehicle.

Maybe you should convert it to vegetable oil (a worthy investment) or get something else to drive the rest of the time, assuming you can afford it. Or maybe you need to give up on it and get a newer truck. I would wait until next year, I hear that truck prices are expected to bottom out sometime next year.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 04:59 PM

Rick if you like the 7.3s just keep your eye open for one and don't get in a hurry, I know of 2 psd's that sold lately one was a 96 f250 (yes I know you need F350) that had 53,000 miles on it, 4x4 and the guy sold it for $1500 (no start, turned out to be oil preasure switch in valley for HPOP $340 fix) the other was a F350 2000 4x4 dually with 17,000 miles (yes that is verifiable, guy was 73 yrs old bought truck new towed his camper and boat to the lake in the spring and back in the fall and just enough other driving to keep everything lubed) widow sold it at the estate auction for $11,000. I have also seen a fairly low mileage 03 with deer damage and 70k miles for $8700 also 4x4 dually, and although I haven't gone down hwy 34 lately there was a lot that had 2 03s with 7.3s in them and smashed boxes but otherwise good shape for under 10k less then a month ago.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 10:57 PM

Rick I would do as monsterbaby says take your time and find a low mileage used truck to suit your needs. I know that you are driving it to make a living with but the right one will come along.

Tom Williams
Big Block 36 Ford 1 ton truck 460 5spd
1929 Ford Model A
1972 Gran Torino Sport
1987 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
2006 Ford Ranger
http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/b...emod4fun36.jpg
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 11:53 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions. I do like the 7.3 because you can still McGiver them roadside.:lol: However, the '08 is a VERY nice truck and I would get a F-450-550 next time regardless the year for the bigger rear diff. I would like to be able to run a Gear Vendor or equivalent behind the 4.30 or 4.88 gear, although it would probably last 6 months.:roll:

A buddy of mine works at a local dealership, he was saying one of the used car mangers picked up a low mileage 6.0 for $5000. :shock: I still don't know if I believe that one.

I guess I should start lookin'.

Rick S.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-12-2008, 12:50 PM

cheapest rig to own is the one without a monthly payment

monthly payment

full coverage insurance

expensive registration

still have to do it maintence regarless
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-12-2008, 01:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfoFord
cheapest rig to own is the one without a monthly payment

monthly payment

full coverage insurance

expensive registration

still have to do it maintence regarless
Trent,

I see you point and I have thought about those things...although, I do have to carry at least $750,000 coverage on my truck for work, regardless. I also have to pay commercial regs on it.:evil: I am spoiled, my truck has been paid off for years...now I gotta buck up and do it again.

I don't mind the maintenance so much, it's the failure on the road that gets old. Out of my last four trips, three of those I had failure, all of which I was luckily able to fix...I once used one of the angles on my trailer as a vise to pull and press the old pulley onto the new vacuum pump with a nut, bolt, washer...the Napa pump did not come with one. :lol: Not to say an '08 wouldn't have mechanical failure as well, it's part of the deal.

The truck is my office and overhead, time to suck it up and buy something within the next year...or sooner. It sounds like there are some good deals to be had out there, could get even better as jpierce55 had mentioned. Thanks all for the input.

Rick S.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-12-2008, 04:08 PM

If this is also a truck that you have to rely on for work, I think its time to buck up and buy a new tow rig / work truck.

Ya never know. If the rest of the truck is in good shape you can still sell it and make out ok. I would like to buy a high mileage F-350 with a bad motor. That would be perfect for me. I am looking for something to swap a Cummins into anyways. If we weren't a country apart we could probably deal. Make everyone happy. I do think its time to buck up and buy a new truck though.

1990 GT, 347 / 76mm turbo setup OUT AND GONE!

New setup going in. Dove headed 545 with a plate kit to 400, progressive, Th400 etc. etc. etc.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-12-2008, 05:09 PM Thread Starter

I would like to buy a high mileage F-350 with a bad motor. That would be perfect for me. I am looking for something to swap a Cummins into anyways.

Coupe Devil,

It's all yours...no rust, all original paint, interior is still nice, 1,100+mile towing range...lets make a deal! :lol:

I have seen a couple of those conversions, pretty cool...and extensive. :shock: A local guy dynoed his cummins 612/1008 at the wheels. He recently melted 5 pistons and scored two cylinders pretty bad. :cry: This time around he is going with good pistons. :shock:

Rick S.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-12-2008, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickFlowRick

Coupe Devil,

It's all yours...no rust, paint all original, interior is still nice, 1,100+mile towing range...lets make a deal! :lol:

I have seen a couple of those conversions, pretty cool...and extensive. :shock: A local guy dynoed his cummins 612/1008 at the wheels. He recently melted 5 pistons and scored two cylinders pretty bad. :cry: This time around he is going with good pistons. :shock:

Rick S.
There really is no need to do any of that hopping up to those motors. I have assisted a friend of mine do probably 20 of these swaps. In everything from 4wd E-250's to other 4 and 2 wheel drive Fords and a few Chevies. The swap doesnt have to be all that intensive either. No harder than putting a 460 in a Fox body car. Trust me if I could figure a way to economically get a truck from coast to coast I would highly consider it.

New setup going in. Dove headed 545 with a plate kit to 400, progressive, Th400 etc. etc. etc.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-12-2008, 05:25 PM Thread Starter

As I understood it, there is some difficulty getting the dodge brain/ford dash, speedo etc. to work together? That just what I was told, maybe it's not a big deal.

Rick S.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-12-2008, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bsherry
Rick,

Give Lem a call. Dealers here in Florida are giving BIG discounts on the F-250s on the lot.

Can't be a better time to buy!

Heads up--mileage on the 6.4 is not that good. Great truck, not sorry for buying one but it hurts every time I go to Sunoco.

:lol:
It's a crapshoot on mileage. My dad has a 250 for his boat he's one of the lucky ones, get's about 10mpg towing(7500-8000lbs) stop and go in city, 14.5+ on highway. Empty its 12-14 city and 16.8-20.5 (out of CA gets better mileage) highway all stock. I've checked the computer numerous times and it's only off by 0.2-0.3 mpg.

If your going to chip it, I'd avoid 08's. But you know what those 08's are nice and the power mirrors are great.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-12-2008, 10:08 PM Thread Starter

The diesels are funny that way. You always hear a variance in fuel mileage regardless of year, motor etc. Initially, that is why I was going to steer clear of the 6.4. After hearing 7 mpg towing out of an F-450, I might as well buy a tractor, buy the way, a lot of the guys do after paying a few bills at the dealership. I am usually hauling 18,000-19,000 and the truck weighs 8,000 loaded with fuel. If I slow to 55-57 mph, I can get just over 12 mpg if I really watch it.

I recently towed a 17' inflatable boat up to Port Angeles, Wa. I always have a 6,500 lb. trailer behind, but with a light load I wanted to see if the truck was still efficient at 500,000 miles. I set the cruise at 55 mph up and back. I got 20.3 mpg coming back empty...still pretty damn good. When I first got the truck, I got 25.8 mpg @ 55...towing my new tow dolly home one-way...still nobody believes me. :lol:

You gotta like 8,000 lbs. and 20+ mpg

Rick S.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-12-2008, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickFlowRick
As I understood it, there is some difficulty getting the dodge brain/ford dash, speedo etc. to work together? That just what I was told, maybe it's not a big deal.

Rick S.
There are a few problems there yes. To get around it you use the new 24 v style motor with a modified old style mechanical injection pump. You still get the fuel mileage and you get the dependability of the ole tried and true mechanical injection. I have only helped with a VERY few we did this way so I do not know all the specifics but IT WILL WORK. Some people will tell you otherwise, I have seen it and done it. It WILL WORK

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in