HOLY CRAP!!! only 2 hours on engine,spun bearing!! long - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 11:04 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

HOLY CRAP!!! only 2 hours on engine,spun bearing!! long

Man I don't eve know where to start!!! We put together a Ford powered air boat These boats mostley have small chevy's or Cadillacs for car engines and rarely have Ford's in them. We wanted to put a Ford in this one "cause we is Ford peoples". This has not been easy, or fun!
The first motor was a 460 with iron heads, decent cam, good headers,intake and carb. This engine ran great, just a little on the heavy side. The first upgrade was TFS streets. The first problem was they were ordered with solid roller springs by accident (my fault, clicked wrong head an Summit.com). Took heads off to change springs and decided to put a stroker crank in it while it was off the boat. This engine ran great for about 40 hours, rarily seeing 4000 rpms and then the altinater bolt vibrates out, water pump belt falls off, engine burns up, melts a couple of pistons, warps heads, etc. etc.
Engine #2 complete 514 short block same cam, (wasn't hurt) new roller lifters, new rocker arms, heads milled and checked, 9 qut. pan and pick-up. another 40 hours or so and it spins 4,5,6,7,8 mains and rods. obviously an oil starvation problem, but why? check out oil gallys for and pump for problems nothing stands out except the oil pressure never got over 50#'s not even cold.
Engine #3. Use the 68 block from engine 1, all new internals, nothing is carried over from old engine except oil pan, and heads. Had 2 hours on it,.....yes 2 hours, and the same thing happened!!! WHAT THE HECK IS CAUSING THIS!?!?! Could it be the pickup to close to the bottom of the pan? This engine rarely see's 4000 rpms We are tearing this motor down this weekend (hopefully), the first thing we'll loof at is the pickup -to-pan distance. Is there anything else to look for??? Please help, any info is appreciated.......Wade

70 torino GT grabber green
69talladega
69cyclone spoiler 2
34 ford 5 window boss 460
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 11:44 PM

1) What were your bearing clearances at?

2) Was the block line bored/honed?

3) When you check your pan to pick-up clearance, make sure it's 3/8"-1/2" from the bottom of the pan...

4) What oil were you using?

Let us know if you find anything...

Doug... 8)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] '86 F150... 521 w/ FRPP SCJ Heads, Glide...
Best ET: 1/8---6.17 @ 112 mph N/A @ 1200'
6.34 @ 112 mph N/A @ 5000'
1/4---9.73 @ 136 mph N/A @ 1200'
9.97 @ 135 mph N/A @ 5000'
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-12-2008, 01:15 AM
s_stang

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
My 2c

Note: new roller lifters

Kind of wonder which way they are installed?

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-12-2008, 01:27 AM

There was a thread earlier that I cannot find. It was descussing oil pump, oil pan/oiling issues with boat applications.

It was Lem. Paul and Dave I think if I remember correctly. All of those guys have experiece with boat stuff. They are your best bet for help.

If they don't see the thread we can pm them.

" A - Head Groupie"
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-12-2008, 09:51 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replys, I'm sorry to say that I didn't check the clearances because it was a crate short block and we told them what the engine was for. We did put new hydraulic rollers in it with same result. I'll update ASAP

69talladega
69cyclone spoiler 2
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 08:35 AM

Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)

I did have a customer with a 454 Chevy that was having a weird oil pressure problem last year and it was totally a problem with the oil pan/pickup. With hot oil his engine would have good oil pressure at idle but then as soon as the engine hit a critical rpm 4700 in this case the pressure would instantly drop a bunch. You could back off to say 4500 or 4600 and it would behave fine. This was an engine with tight clearances .002 rods and mains. Finally he took the engine out of the boat and we did some dyno testing to find the problem. Switching oil pans cured it. He had been running a Milodon boat pan. We tried a Hamburgers and it was slightly better but a STOCK 4 quart in the sump Chevelle pan was the best pan that would fit in the boat. Pressure is now rock steady and you can hold it at 5500rpm for as long as you like, no problem. I think that the small aftermarket pickup could not handle the hot oil as effectively as a larger stock pickup. We were doing all of our testing with the oil in the pan at 200 degrees minimum. It didn't care if we ran more or less oil either, here's a video of the engine running with the better of the two aftermarket pans.

I just wonder if your engine isn't doing something similar when the oil gets hot?

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic --Arthur C. Clarke

Dave McLain
McLain's Automotive
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 09:43 AM

Quoted: 106 Post(s)

Dave's right about the STOCK baffled pan for a B.B. Chevy for marine use - I've used a front sump CJ style pan with a CJ pump on a B.B. Ford and had no problems. It was a CANTON with a deeper sump but, otherwise the same dimensions as a production CJ.
I used the Canton windage screen too however, I don't think that made the pan work.

www.rmcompetition.com

R.M. Competition - The finest Custom Engine Building for any venue ... !
Selling Parts and Supplies from companies I use ... 1(586)909-1591

CUSTOM ground camshafts
Carburetor modifications for specific applications
CNC porting
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 10:43 PM Thread Starter

Wow after reading the posts from Dave and Randy I'm almost possitive it's the pan. What would cause this all of a sudden? When it had the stock pan it ran fine, no problems. When we put the stroker motor in it we put the 9quart Milodon Pan on it for insurance (front sump) with windage tray, what would make this engine run out of oil??? We also put a high pressure/ high volume pump on it and it never got over 50 pounds of oil pressure, it also fluxuated real bad. We didn't get a chance to tear it down this weekend but when I do I'll take pics of everything, even the bottom of the pan so maybe this can be remedied. This is becoming embarrrassing, and expensive!! On another note should I be using a hydraulic roller with the TFS streets?? I've read on here about some problems with guide plates, and rocker arms. Thanks for the help...Wade

69talladega
69cyclone spoiler 2
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-14-2008, 01:32 PM

I hear those square box type milodon pickups are bad newzz (not kennels, Michael Vick...). If it were me, I'd try to get a stock pickup screen made onto a tube that will feed your pump and put the stock pickup 3/8" off the bottom of the sump.

And hydraulic roller is fine so long as the springs are correct and you fully cycle the engine while watching closely to make sure the pushrods don't hit the holes in the heads through which they pass.

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about answers.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-14-2008, 01:50 PM

I ran a Milodon square pickup on my last engine and spun a rod bearing on the chassis dyno. Paul Kane and I were just talking about this the other day as I was inquiring about one of his pumps. He sells a pickup kit that sounds like a much better design and might help you out. After thinking about it all I'm thinking that when I installed the vacuum pump it caused the oil pump to work harder and the small pickup combined with the bad design of the Milodon pickup caused the bearing to spin trashing the crank and rod. Here's a link to his site.

http://www.highflowdynamics.com/
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-14-2008, 04:51 PM

Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)

Last year I did a 460 for a customer with a jet boat. It was a very mild build with a flat tappet hydraulic cam, D3VE heads etc but it runs great in his boat and he's very pleased. I think it made all of about 375 horsepower.

Here's a video of it sitting on the dyno idling after doing some testing that evening. Actually I was playing around with his carburetor and some bogus carburetor spacer trying to fix a vacuum leak. This engine has a Milodon front sump pan with a stock 460 pump and pickup(press in from the bottom kind). This pan is just like a stocker except for having a baffle across the back of the sump to help control the oil during acceleration. It holds excellent oil pressure and this is with hot oil. It would hold about 60psi all the time.

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic --Arthur C. Clarke

Dave McLain
McLain's Automotive
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-14-2008, 07:42 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Oil Pan

I also have one of these 9 quart front sump pans with the baffle and the small Milodon pick up. I also have a MPG windage tray. I have 60 psi intial start up and once the temp is up 180-200(water) idle (800-1000) 25-30psi and back up to 55-65 psi at 6000-6500 RPM to race. Just cut my oil filter apart tonite after weekends race and there was nothing to note, clean and no bearing material. I am getting a little scared with this post so I am seriouly considering dropping the pan and using the pick up from Paul's Stage 1 pump that I got.

FWIW

PS: The oil pump has the shim kit in it and the oil is 25W50. Clearances are 0.0027 on the rods and 0.0030 on the mains. Block ported as Per Highflow website. I have had some lifter issues early on which were puking oil out between the lifter body and plunger almost enough to flood over the valley with barely any oil coming out the pushrod, changed them out with half the seepage, so far so good.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-15-2008, 02:25 AM

I was running a rear sump pan with the small square pickup. As long as the open areas of the pickup screen are equal to or greater than the pickup tube then I would think there wouldn't be any problems.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-15-2008, 05:55 PM
Forum Contributor

I have heard that the milodon pickups aren't good, and that they have caused oil starvation in some engines.

Currently, I am running a milodon pickup attached to a High Flow Dynamics stage 1 pump in my 545. With no scraper or windage tray and a 4.5" crank, the oil pressure is rock seady at all times...at engine speeds over 6500 rpm, too. This is with VR1 20w50, and now VR1 10w30.

The pickup seems to be well capable of flowing the oil volume required in this case.

Greg

In Limbo at all times
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-15-2008, 06:37 PM Thread Starter

The pick-up was ordered with the pan, so I'm sure it's the Milodon pick-up.
We haven't had a chance to pull it apart yet but I'm getting stir crazy waiting for the both of us to get our schedules together. We need two people to pull the prop guard off so we can get to the engine, after that it pops right out. I will be getting in touch with Paul Kane for the next pump.
This WILL be the last time we do this for this boat!!! :evil: Thanks for all the replies. Nice videos Dave, thats what I'm looking for. GREG, you posted some oiling mods that you did on the 545, I think you plugged one of the front oil gallies or you put a plug in it with a small hole drilled in it? I can't remember If you want shoot me the post and I'll re-read it and try this on the next engine..........Wade

69talladega
69cyclone spoiler 2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in