NHRA 1000' - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 10:44 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

NHRA 1000'

What does everyone think of the 1000' racing so far in the nitro classes?I understand why they are doing it but i think it sucks.Kinda hard to get your brain around the new et numbers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 11:10 AM

If the track was 1000 ft when Scott's accident happened the same outcome would have taken place. It's obvious that the disaster trap needs to be lengthened and improved to catch a top fuel-er.

If the NHRA restricts the power then public attention for Pro-Mods may get its just deserve.

69 Mustang ProStreet 580 E85
9.0 @ 148

70 Torino 521
[email protected]
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 12:22 PM

Quoted: 106 Post(s)

Take another look at Scott's accident; the blow-up in the car occured well AFTER the 1,000 foot mark so, in essence that blow-up would have never happened.
I agree that a blow-up which renders the driver unconscious at that speed will probably result in the same outcome, though.

1,000 feet; I love it...!

www.rmcompetition.com

R.M. Competition - The finest Custom Engine Building for any venue ... !
Selling Parts and Supplies from companies I use ... 1(586)909-1591

CUSTOM ground camshafts
Carburetor modifications for specific applications
CNC porting

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 12:31 PM

Did anyone notice that the chutes would hit at the 1320 mark?[/b]
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 12:45 PM

I understand that the drivers/owners of these vehicles had a large input into this change, so I go along with it, no complaints, not that what I think would make any difference anyway.

After watching last night, I cant tell any difference untill the numbers come up. If I were in the stands, still couldnt tell much difference, b/c 99% of the time all you see from the rear is smoke at that position on track.

P/S is still at 1320, but I dont really care to see the Rocky and Bullwinkle show, (Summit cars) every week! They might truly be that good or lucky, but I for one of many dont believe it.

Bad Company Till the day I die!

Bob Carr
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave D
If the track was 1000 ft when Scott's accident happened the same outcome would have taken place. It's obvious that the disaster trap needs to be lengthened and improved to catch a top fuel-er.

If the NHRA restricts the power then public attention for Pro-Mods may get its just deserve.
I'll reserve my comments about how the "show" looks after I see it in Sonoma in a couple of weeks. As for it helping in Scott's case, who knows... You can't say it wouldn't have made a difference. There is no basis for that.

It would have shut off earlier, maybe the car wouldn't have flamed.

You assume he was unconscious, you can't say for sure. He got the chutes out, body of the car gone, therefore no downforce, therefore, brakes can't quite work if the car starts bouncing off the pavement. Wait until the "black Box" analysis comes back, it will tell for sure if he applied the brakes.

I've seen it happen in an 8.70 run with a piperack... Guy was scared, asked later if he should have gotten the chutes out... Almost bounced into the sand at Pomona...

I'd say 1000' is a great way to slow the cars down, plus add 320' to the shutdown area, a double bonus. It's additive. finishing at 305MPH at the 1320 is less safe than 305MPH at the 1000' mark... Simple physics...

John Strube
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32 Altered
You assume he was unconscious, you can't say for sure. He got the chutes out, body of the car gone, therefore no downforce, therefore, brakes can't quite work if the car starts bouncing off the pavement. Wait until the "black Box" analysis comes back, it will tell for sure if he applied the brakes..
The Kalitta team has already made public statement that their was evidence on the recorders that Scott was making attempts to slow the car, they had reason to believe he was conscious until the point of impact/explosion.

The 1000' foot rule imo has merit. The question is if another incident repeats like Scott's at the 1000" mark, will the 1000' rule by itself be enough to save another life.

I personally don't think the 1000' foot rule as a stand alone rule is enough not to insure another fatality, and that more rules will have to be implemented to assist for accuracy.

1. Better designed safety catch net system

2. Min length sand trap distance

3. Shut down areas free of Obstruction ( no exceptions)

Imo - I think Scotts tragedy had all the right components to spell disaster unfortunately they all came together to build a recipe for his fatality as sad as it is.

" A - Head Groupie"
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-14-2008, 09:27 PM
1997superstang

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
to be safe would be not get in a moving object that goes 330 mph in 4.5 sec
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in