One that got away-Then came back!!! - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 08:48 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

One that got away-Then came back!!!

About 2X a year some guy shows up on the Torino forum with a faded polaroid or half a VIN looking for some long lost car he owned.
This guy found it and resto'd it for his dad.
Thing was a basketcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPTAIN
Well, after 5 LONG months of non stop work, we finished the Cobra and gave it to our father for his birthday/retirement last weekend. It's a roller, as we didn't have time to do the motor or trans, and honestly weren't sure how Dad would've wanted it done anyway.
The body is done, it's certainly not perfect by any means, but my father said he wouldn't want it absolutly perfect beacause he would be afraid to drive it then. This is going to be a driver for him, and he has been reunited with it after letting it go 26 years ago.
For those of you who don't know the story, my father ordered this from the factory in 1970, but had to sell it due to financial diffuculties in 1982. It broke his heart to sell it, but he did what he needed to for his family. Last Feburary we tracked the car down and it was purchased back from the same guy Dad sold it to in 1982. My brother and I labored on this thing covertly for 5 months to get the body and interior together enough to give it to him. Long days and longer nights were spent in the driveway and garage, lots of money and favors were spent, but it was all worht it to see my Dad back in his baby again. Parts came from numerous donor vehicles including my N code Cobra, 2 70 GT's, a 71 500, a 71 wagon, and 70 Ranchero GT among others.

He walked out the back door, saw the Cobra, and said "it was like someone coming back from the grave standing in front of me". Totally shocked, emotions were poured out, and Dad was in utter shock. It took him awhile to recover from the shock, but he's doing great now, looking forward to getting her back on the road.
It was nice to finally talk to him about the car without it being a secret from him anymore. He was able to answer tons of questions I had about the car, like "why this was like this, and what happened to that, why was this like this?"

None of this would have been possible without the help of this forum and some specific members like Mike P, Steve (since 80), and Hardtop killer among others.
This forum and it's members are a HUGE source of information, and just cruising through the archives of posts answered most of the questions I had.
Thanks a ton guys!

Be sure to check out my thread in members rides for resto progress updates.

Here are some before pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPTAIN
Here's some pics of my fathers J code that we bought back in hopes of restoring. It's really rough, the back window was busted out 24 years ago and it has sat rotting in this back yard since then, so you can imagine what the car looks like.

It's real sad, but I had to roll the dice and take a chance. I couldn't let this car go and be chopped up for parts, never to be seen again. The family history this car has, the lineage was worth taking the chance.
My father ordered this car new from the factory in '70 and had to sell it in 1982. I've been looking for it for 3 years now, and now have it back in the family, purchased back from the same guy my father sold it to 26 years ago.
This is the car my siblings and I all came home from the hospital in after we were born. This car is the reason I am a Ford fanatic and drag racer today. This car meant the world to my father back then, and hopefully it will again........

progress page

http://www.torinocobra.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4228
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 09:54 AM

Truly 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Doug... 8)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] '86 F150... 521 w/ FRPP SCJ Heads, Glide...
Best ET: 1/8---6.17 @ 112 mph N/A @ 1200'
6.34 @ 112 mph N/A @ 5000'
1/4---9.73 @ 136 mph N/A @ 1200'
9.97 @ 135 mph N/A @ 5000'
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 09:54 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)

"Captain" races a purple Ranger at NMRA races. You can see it in the background.

Cool story. That's a tremendous amount of work!

'83 Mustang GT - 552/C6 - 10.12 @ 136
'73 "F100" - EFI460/E4OD
Drag Week 2011 - 77th in Daily Driver
Drag Week 2012 - Street Race BB N/A runner-up
Drag Week 2014 - *kapooya*

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 11:16 AM

Totally Freakin AWESOME!!!

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Damon Sea
1983 Mustang
534ci

"If it doesn't fit, Force it. If it breaks then it needed to be replaced anyway"
http://photobucket.com/albums/f75/Phantasea466
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 07:40 PM

Phil,

You did a great job!

Wish my Dad was here to see my brother and me race the '87 Mustang and ride in the Cobra 427 FE.

Take the time now to do things together.

Mike
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-18-2008, 03:05 AM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)

Wow . 8)
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-18-2008, 03:49 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 545 87LX
Phil,

You did a great job!
Not my project. He's a guy off the Torino Forum that showed up a few months ago.

My dad isn't too sentimental about anything so I don't have to worry about restoring any of his old rides. Hmm Maybe that Gremlin, or his old mailtruck with the bent frame, or the 68 C10 with giant rust holes, or his 4 door Rambler full of dog hair or... well you get the idea. Dad's not a car guy.
He is moving to upper Michigan this month 5 hrs away. I'm really bummed too since I have a 6 yr old and he's just too hard to pin down these days. Sorry to hear yours passed.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-18-2008, 02:21 PM

Great story!...another one saved. 8)

Rick S.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 09:27 AM

Send a message via AIM to PatFromJersey Send a message via Yahoo to PatFromJersey
Great story. Thanks for posting Phil. 8)

New project coming... 1932 Ford 5 Window Coupe 521/C6
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 06:19 AM

wow!!

if they could turn that thing around in 5 months maybe I should send them my project!!! That thing was hard .. nice story....

PERFORMANCE CRANKSHAFT INC,. YOUR FIRST STOP FOR CRANKSHAFT REPAIR , MODIFICATIONS AND CUSTOM CRANKSHAFTS /; ROTATING ASSEMBLIES ... coffee donuts and entertainment available at no extra charge ... shop phone 586 549 7557
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in