Home (Small shop) welder - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-18-2008, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
kim

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Home (Small shop) welder

Ok, have finally got to get one. Never going to build the Titanic in the backyard, but might take on a whole chasis one day. Right now, sheet metal, motor mounts, etc...

What is a good, smart, buy?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-18-2008, 02:32 PM
Northwest outlaw

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
I say get a tig welder but get one that has ac/dc . you can do ss alum ms cm a lot more then a mig can just my .02$ Jason
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-18-2008, 02:42 PM

I bought a hobart handler 187 mig, it's ready for gas or can use flux core and will weld about anything you want.

Yes Tig MIGHT be a good thing but a mig is just easy to work with, and learn on and frankly you can weld anything with a mig you can with a tig unless your plannning on building a top fuel rig the tig really shouldn't be needed. JMHO

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-18-2008, 03:02 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest outlaw
I say get a tig welder but get one that has ac/dc . you can do ss alum ms cm a lot more then a mig can just my .02$ Jason
you need a high freq box and a pedal control to do aluminum.

Its much easier to do alum with a mig.

Any DC source can do tig, just reverse the leads.

Sharpen your pitchforks and light your torches... 'CHANGE' is coming!

We say grace, and we say ma'am, if you ain't into that we don't give a damn... cause a country boy can survive!
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-18-2008, 03:02 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

You might find you need both Mig & Tig machines.

Any work with 'moly tubing or plate will require a Tig machine, as will Titanium. And the newer Tig machines that use "square-wave" technology are supposed to be so much better for welding aluminum.

But you wouldn't want to use a Tig on other shop projects like if you had to do some welding under the trailer filling a big gap in a cracked crossmember, or a broken weld. You would be there all day with a Tig, but a Mig would make short work of that job.

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.S. Dave::
460 street '66 Ranchero.......................finished someday.
460 race '70 Maverick..........................finished someday.
All 'glass Top Sportsman '69 Mustang......ummm, check back when I win big playing the Texas Lotto, or online poker.
My youtube page. Some ancient & newer local race video.

Join the Poker Players Alliance (theppa.org). US online poker should NOT be turned into a crime.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-18-2008, 03:31 PM

Like Dave said, you will find yourself needing both. I have a HTP 200 Mig, and Miller Syncrowave 180 Tig, and both are great machines. You might find this right up your alley. Lincoln has a new combo set that is really cool, both machines on the same cart a Power MIG 140C and the K2680-1 Precision TIG 225 sitting on top. They call it the One-For-All One Pak 8) .
http://www.mylincolnelectric.com/Cat....aspx?p=50178#
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-18-2008, 04:09 PM

I finally got a welder after all these years!!

A Miller 180 with autostart I love the thing. I haven't quite mastered welding sheetmetal but I really like it.

I fiqure if I need something tig welded I wouldn't know how to do it any way. So why buy the equipment just to have to take it to someone else that knows how to tig.

93 528cu Lightning
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-18-2008, 04:41 PM

I got a miller 180 0n a bottle as well. I think for they guy that can't have both the mig has to be the most practicle to own first.

" A - Head Groupie"
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-18-2008, 04:56 PM

Welder

If you decide to go TIG, buy one with enough power to weld 1/2" aluminum plate or you'll be real sorry the first time you try to weld something like an intake manifold.

My little 185A machine will do it, but only if I heat the bajeezus out of the part in an oven before hand; it simply doesn't have enough power to do that kind of job without the preheat. It makes for ugly&weak welds in aluminum if you don't have enough power for the job at hand.

www.RaceSystems.com
Home of Project Ludicrous Speed
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-18-2008, 04:58 PM

I've got a Lincoln 180 Mig... Works really well... I did my cage in my truck with it...

Doug... 8)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] '86 F150... 521 w/ FRPP SCJ Heads, Glide...
Best ET: 1/8---6.17 @ 112 mph N/A @ 1200'
6.34 @ 112 mph N/A @ 5000'
1/4---9.73 @ 136 mph N/A @ 1200'
9.97 @ 135 mph N/A @ 5000'
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-18-2008, 08:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Re: Welder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByronRACE
My little 185A machine will do it, but only if I heat the bajeezus out of the part in an oven before hand; it simply doesn't have enough power to do that kind of job without the preheat.
Propane torch works wonders for this
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-18-2008, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastertech70
I got a miller 180 0n a bottle as well. I think for they guy that can't have both the mig has to be the most practicle to own first.
This was kinda what i was trying to say but put sooo much better then I did and frankly hte best advice so far IMHO
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-18-2008, 09:35 PM

x2 on what byron said,
but it applies to a MIG as well. i have a lincoln mig, 110VAC and 135 amps of output and there are many times when it is not enough. Lincoln said it can handle 5/16", but it would take some prep work on the steel stock for it to push that much weld. i would say that 1/8" is the farthest i would push it. After that, its time for the arc welder.

And depending on your skill level you can do a lot of welding with an old arc(stick) welder. If your like me, welding on 4x4s where there is an endless sea of rust of and mud, sometimes its the only welder that will come close to working.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-18-2008, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FE_rex
Quote:
My little 185A machine will do it, but only if I heat the bajeezus out of the part in an oven before hand; it simply doesn't have enough power to do that kind of job without the preheat.
I suppose if you had octopus arms and enough patience it'd work ok. I was welding bungs on an intake manifold, and needed to heat up a large area. I tried to repair a broken bellhousing (while bolted to an engine) using the torch method thinking I could create enough local heat to weld a crack. 3 map gas torches and 2 friends + my best effort with the tig yielded one incredibly ugly weld...so I guess it works. I think you need more skill than I possess to do that reliably and make pretty welds.

www.RaceSystems.com
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-18-2008, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FE_rex
Quote:
I suppose if you had octopus arms and enough patience it'd work ok. I was welding bungs on an intake manifold, and needed to heat up a large area and was working solo. I once tried to repair a broken bellhousing (while bolted to an engine) using the torch method thinking I could create enough local heat to weld a crack. 3 map gas torches and 2 friends + my best effort with the tig yielded one incredibly ugly but functional weld...so I guess it works. Thank god for grinders. I think you need more skill than I possess to do that reliably and make pretty welds.

Oh, and my point...duh...after I gobbed up and made an ugly weld, he took it to a pro welder and the guy used a 500A tig machine, no pre-heating, and laid down a nice bead right over my ugly gob job in about 5 minutes, including the time it took to haul the equipment out under the lift. When it comes to welding heavy aluminum car parts, power is your friend.

www.RaceSystems.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in