Generators??? - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 08:18 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Generators???

Since I'm anticipating getting back into drag racing I'm going to need a generator. Now I need to know which one and how much wattage to buy. I'm only expecting to be using a couple of fans to cool the car down, a battery charger, maybe a light or 2 and maybe one of the small air compressors. I looked around at the local track last night and got a few ideas and saw almost every wattage and brand manufactured. I like the Honda line but they are pricey.
What do you guys use or suggest????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 08:25 AM

I have a Honda EG2500. All I have done is put fuel in it and change oil once a year. The Honda's are the best IMO. You will need at least a 2500 watt to run the compressor and a few other items. I know the Honda is $$$ but I think
it 's worth it. They are also fairly quiet compared to other generators.

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/f...ebsightpic.jpg
1970 Cougar Eliminator
512ci
10.42 ET 133mph
All [email protected]
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 09:16 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

i really wanted the honda 2500 ---- super quiet --- but it was out of the budget last year --- i bought one from lowes it has a subaru motor in it ---i run an air comp / tons of lights / fans etc.... never has a lick of problem

but it is loud...

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 09:27 AM

This looks like a nice deal. With 80db noise level
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...3+90401+524798

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/f...ebsightpic.jpg
1970 Cougar Eliminator
512ci
10.42 ET 133mph
All [email protected]
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 01:37 PM

Dont know how efficent it would be, but I have been looking at a 3000W inverter. I have two group 31 batts, 750 cca each, if I hook them paralell to the inverter, then run a charger off the inverter back to the batts, seems to me it would be a self contained absolutly no noise unit. Mount this on the tounge of the trailer in a box. This would be used for lights, fans, drills, small compressor, etc. I also have a 5 hp horz shaft engine mounted on a homemade frame driving a 105 amp leece neville truck alternator that I have used for many years to charge the batts between rnds. It will charge the two batts in the car in about 20 min even if they are down. It runs at idle so it too is very quiet. I used it back in 94 during a 2 week power outage due to an ice storm, with dc lights and accesorys. Sat it and a batt outside and ran wiring through window, only drawback was refueling about every four hrs. (2 Qt tank)

These are some things you might consider too.

Bad Company Till the day I die!

Bob Carr
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 01:45 PM

one of the fastest way to kill a battery is trying to use a inverter running off the batterys you are trying to charge with said inverter you are using energy to convert from one voltage to another then back again within a few hours you will have dead batterys
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 01:59 PM

Trent ;How many amps does an inverter pull?
How many amps does a 15 amp charger use?

We have a customer that leases trucks from us that go all over the country doing service work on the manufactured homes their dealers sell. The trucks have 3 group 31 batts and they use an inverter to run power saws and all sorts of tools and lights to do their work out in the field.

This is what got me thinking about this

Bad Company Till the day I die!

Bob Carr
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 02:44 PM

I just wanted to throw something out there about the Honda Generators. You can get the EU series generators from Honda. These are the super quiet ones that everyone would love to have. They are also very spendy if you get one large enough to run a lot of things.

You can also buy a regular generator that is Honda powered, but uses a Honda GX series industrial engine. These look like your typical Briggs powered generators but are about 1/2 as loud as a Briggs or Tecumseh. They are also about 1/2 or less the price of an EU series. The GX engines are the OHV engines that you also see on tillers, cement mixers, air compressors, etc.

I have one with a GX 200 6.5 hp Honda. Rated at 3650 watts startup and 3100 watts continuous. I've had it about 6 years and use it alot during racing season. It's also big enough to use during the winter for power outages. While it won't run my heat or stove, it will run the lights, TV, microwave and fridge.

A couple similar to mine:
http://www.mypressurewashers.com/Onl...6/Default.aspx

http://www.plumbersurplus.com/Prod/P...=2&cvsfp=77028

86 T-Bird chassis car
Struts, ladders and W's
Alky injected BBF
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 07:58 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replys guys.......I think now have a better handle on what type of wattage I might need.

David.....I appreciate your response and posting the links for the generators. I may just go with the first link you posted with the PowerEase generator. That way I will still get a honda engine for a fraction of the cost. My condolences to you on losing your engine last night. I hate it when those things happen.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 06:26 AM

x

The generator you posted from HD looks like a dandy! Offers plenty of electricity, although you may think about the weight if you have to wrestle it around yourself! We use generators in the 2500 Watt range and they seem to offer plenty electricity with adequate amperage while at the track.

Dave.

Masters Degree in Perverted Idiocy.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 08:03 AM

We just bought a Yamaha 2800i inverter generator. After using it for just one weekend, we would never go back to a conventional generator. The inverter generator only runs as fast as in needs to supply the loads connected. We had our computer, weather station and battery charger connected and the generator stayed at idle! it is so quiet that we had our lunch and carried on a conversation with it running only 4 - 6 feet from us. We had it running for about 4-5 hours and it was just off the full mark so it's very easy on fuel too.
I highly recommend it.

Brock G.

Team GTR
125" Spitzer Bantam
4.84 @140.5
7.68 @ 176.4
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 08:18 AM

nothing wrong with using a inverter but you need a external source to charge the batterys like a alternator or what not

using that invertor to run a battery charger to charge the batterys you are connected to will run the batterys down you are using more energy then what the battery charger can put backinto the battery

if this concept worked you would have a perpetual machine and free energy
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 09:17 AM
Forum Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 588 Bantam
We just bought a Yamaha 2800i inverter generator. After using it for just one weekend, we would never go back to a conventional generator. The inverter generator only runs as fast as in needs to supply the loads connected. We had our computer, weather station and battery charger connected and the generator stayed at idle! it is so quiet that we had our lunch and carried on a conversation with it running only 4 - 6 feet from us. We had it running for about 4-5 hours and it was just off the full mark so it's very easy on fuel too.
I highly recommend it.
Brock,

We just put a 2800 in our trailer; you are correct, it is one great generator. It also has built-in surge protection, providing clean power to sensitive electronics. :lol:

Bruce

Any day drag racing is a GOOD day.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Brock,

We just put a 2800 in our trailer; you are correct, it is one great generator. It also has built-in surge protection, providing clean power to sensitive electronics. :lol:

Bruce
I didn't know about the surge protection... that's a bonus!

I should have mentioned that we bought our unit for $1199. shipped. I did see them as low as $1099. plus shipping and handling.

Brock G.

Team GTR
125" Spitzer Bantam
4.84 @140.5
7.68 @ 176.4
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 02:58 PM
Forum Contributor

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfoFord
if this concept worked you would have a perpetual machine and free energy

SO TRUE !

Alan Mackin

83 T-Bird 460
83 T-Bird Heritage 5.0 RHO
84 T-Bird 5.0
86 T-Bird 2.3 Turbo NHRA Stock Eliminator
87 T-Bird Turbo Coupe 460
95 Mustang GT 5spd Saphire Blue (purple)
95 Mustang GT auto Saphire Blue (purple)IHRA Pure Stocker
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in