nmca memphis - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-18-2008, 02:25 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

nmca memphis

we showed up friday 8am after driving 12hrs, unloaded the car teched in and made a test pass. 8.51 at 162 off the trailer. sweet!!!!

first round of qualifying was later that afternoon. 8.44 at 163 with a 1.33 60'. best et ever by .01 but the 60' was off by .05. that's cool, chattered the tires good. two more rounds sat.

many drinks later sat morning came too soon and the track was crap, 2nd round qual let go of the brake and it actually sat at the starting line spinning. I lifted and putted down the track to a 14.XX 3rd round qual, took a bunch of timing out and it went down the track to an 8.47 at 162. good enough.

pretty sad an 8.44 gets you 15th out of 18 cars, oh well. first round elims sets us up with an 8.2XX sbf mustang, well, the poor guy wheelied something fierce (bumper dragging) and it just so happens I beat him to the stripe with an 8.55

second round is more of the same, another 8.2XX 69 camaro. decided the track is better than yesderday and put more timing back in. I tree the crap out of him but by half track I see his front bumper at the door and then it's gone, another win!!!! ask him what happened, his nitrous shut off, figured out later his relay crapped. At this point I'm wondering whose next and Amy tells me I have a bye run for third round. she didn't want to tell me until after, less pressure....

ok, cool. free round into the semi finals. put more timing at it and make a 330 hit and shut it down. no reason to beat it up. went 1.29 60'!! cool, closer to where it was testing!!!

now there's only three cars left, me and two cars capable of 7.90's. It's getting towards dusk and the track is working so we put one more degree of timing in it. let go of the trans brake and it spins but I see he's going into a wheelie, I peddle it and oooof, it goes a bit more sideways and hooks. I nearly catch him by the 330 as his front end bounces a few times but the BBC's got more steam on the big end and slowly creeps away. If only mine hadn't spun, it'd have been a real close race, I tree'd him by .050......

I ended up with a 9.11 at 161 to his 8.28 at 175. He did end up winning the event and the championship so, congrats!!

oh well, it was damned fun and I took home money!! I realize getting that far was mostly luck but you know how the saying goes....

that's my story, it's on to the A-head engine. anyone need a bt headed 540?? runs mid 8's at 3600lbs!!

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-18-2008, 04:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Congratulations Dave! Jim Netherland called me and told me what a good weekend you had. 8)

Keep up the good work,

Charlie Evans
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-18-2008, 08:48 PM

Re: nmca memphis

anyone need a bt headed 540?? runs mid 8's at 3600lbs!!

Im sure there would be a line of people wanting this motor if the price was right. :twisted:

congratulations on the excellent weekend, we all wouldnt mind being in your shoes

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-18-2008, 11:27 PM

Dave, do you have any pics of your car? I think you built the 466 for my Lincoln acouple of summers ago.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-19-2008, 10:53 PM

Dave,

Congrats on going some rounds at the N.M.C.A Race in Memphis.I congratulated you in the Engine Tech section when you asked about offset ground cranks but you probably didn't see it.

Later Mark.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-20-2008, 09:20 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

good job!!!! now for some real heads, seems like it should be easy.

wayne
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-21-2008, 10:57 PM Thread Starter

thanks Charlie, hoping to step things up next year.

blownmach, well, my shoes have holes in them cause I can't afford new ones after putting this engine together :lol: but it is fun to drive!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Jeremy, it's been a while. have you had the lincoln out? We were at the Parks Automotive car show earlier this summer. shoot me your email I'll send you some pics.

thanks Mark, thanks Wayne. Hope to see you guys out next year. and it always looks easier than it is :lol:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in