Firearm enthusiasts - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-25-2008, 08:12 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Firearm enthusiasts

Looks like it might be a good idea to stock up on some favorite toys. AR15's would be my first to stock up, after that any removable box feed magazine semi-auto rifle would be next. If you don't have the money for the whole AR at this time, just buy a lower. You can buy lowers for $100 to $125 and this is the only part that carries the reg #,s. You can build it up over time with parts. I would also recommend buying that high capacity semi-auto pistol that you have been drooling over for months. Accessories that should be noted are any mags over ten rounds I would buy a few extra. Also if your fond of .223 green tip ammo that would be another that will be getting hard to get. Any hand gun ammunition especially defense loads would be a good thing to stock up on. If you reload, stock up on bullets, primers and powder. I worded this non-political so please lets keep it that way for this thread.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-25-2008, 09:13 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)

An SKS is/was a cheap priced semi that fires 7.62 X 39 ammo. You can get detachable 30 round mags too. I paid 119.00 bucks for mine, but that was 12 years ago. Last ammo I bought for it was 1000 rounds for 89 bucks at the gun show. That was 2 years ago. Stock up fellas. I haven't been shopping for gun stuff for a while, but I think I'll change that soon. Particularly ammo in bulk. I have some other stuff, but it is hard to beat the SKS for bang for the buck. 8)

Where's my beer and that half inch wrench?

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u...cecar066-1.jpg
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-26-2008, 05:06 PM

I just picked up 4 RRA lowers . Found some bulk Black Talon ammo in 45 ACP that I picked up as well.
I also recommend reloading components. EVEN IF YOU DO NOT RELOAD.

Reloaders can be picked up pretty cheap if needed in the future.
I predict ammo and related stuff will eventually be taxed so buy a few boxes each payday.

I reload so I buy powder , primers, components, shot, wads, and even loaded factory ammo when there is a deal.

If all of this is for naught, then at least in the future you can have a bug BBQ with your buddies and have a plinking party!!

Unfortunately ammo DOES NOT drop in prices but rises with inflation.

When in doubt, throttle out...
www.hardlineoffroad.com

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-26-2008, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cletus66
An SKS is/was a cheap priced semi that fires 7.62 X 39 ammo. You can get detachable 30 round mags too. I paid 119.00 bucks for mine, but that was 12 years ago. Last ammo I bought for it was 1000 rounds for 89 bucks at the gun show. That was 2 years ago. Stock up fellas. I haven't been shopping for gun stuff for a while, but I think I'll change that soon. Particularly ammo in bulk. I have some other stuff, but it is hard to beat the SKS for bang for the buck. 8)
Check your prices now and you will see that you made an investment, not just a purchase 8)

I have been looking for a cheap SKS to replace the $100 one I sold 3 years ago...

www.hardlineoffroad.com
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-26-2008, 05:51 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Last weekend Academy sports had 7.62x39 for $2.99 a box of 20. Thats 16 cents a round. The best I have found so far was about 21 cents/round. I bought 1500 rounds :twisted:

Sharpen your pitchforks and light your torches... 'CHANGE' is coming!

We say grace, and we say ma'am, if you ain't into that we don't give a damn... cause a country boy can survive!
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-26-2008, 07:52 PM Thread Starter

Glad to see you folks have been thinking ahead. Careful with some of that 7.62 X 39 ammo. The steel case stuff can be a little tough on the chamber section of your rifle. I hear ya Broncman I ordered up five DPMS lowers last week. The first one will be built up as a 4.58 SOCOM. Need something different for fun and the .458 cal runs nice with a standard AR lower and .223 mags. I reload a lot of pistol but not much rifle. I shoot IPSC and IDPA a fair amount. I've got a few friends that are local firemen. I always tell them if you get called to my house for a fire don't go!! It's going to look like July 4TH!!! The wife reamed on me that the UPS truck has came for seven days in a row. I told her sorry bought the bargain ammo days may be coming to an end for a few years. Like others have said, ammo and guns is money in the bank. And as of lately a whole lot better then the stock market.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 07:11 PM

I shoot a lot of 45 and 223. I am building an AR for each of my teenage boys. Working on the trifecta for each one. FAL/AR/AK. They all have shotguns, 22's and such. Trying to get each one a decent ammo stock pile for each gun.

The 4th AR is for a Ferret 50 cal :twisted:

The 458 looks like a very good round that really makes sense in an AR platform.

www.hardlineoffroad.com
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 07:54 PM
Forum Contributor

Man, I would LOVE to have a FN FAL at my crib....of any manufacture....

Too bad prices are high on them, and going higher!

Anyone that knows a good source for these guns would be my hero if I could score one. Not perfect, but a shooter if you know what I mean.

Oh, an MP5 would be great, too...lol....

Greg

In Limbo at all times
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-28-2008, 12:07 AM

I am putting a FAL together from an Imbel kit I bought off of a member from the FalFiles. The reciever's are pricey, but man, a FAL is a blast to shoot from the prone position with the factory bipods! Just something about rapid fire 308 that puts a grin on your face!!

I can't afford an MP5 but their is MP5 knockoff from Germany right now that shoots 22lr!! GS5 I believe?? We have one and when we go shooting , it is the most used gun!! They come in pistol or carbine versions and are a blast!!

One of my buddies has his class 3 and it is a pure addiction!

www.hardlineoffroad.com
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-28-2008, 12:09 AM

Fal kits run 200-300 and then about 400 for the receiver. Takes about 700-800 to put one together.

www.hardlineoffroad.com
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-28-2008, 03:44 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

who would y'all recommend for a stripped lower? I see 'kits' with everything except the lower for about $500. So, $500 kit + ~$100 lower + taxes/shipping= about $675.

sound about right for a .223?

Sharpen your pitchforks and light your torches... 'CHANGE' is coming!

We say grace, and we say ma'am, if you ain't into that we don't give a damn... cause a country boy can survive!
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-28-2008, 04:40 PM

You will still need the stock and buffer setup and lower parts kit unless what you found is a true everything kit.

I know a lot of people do not like AR15.com , but the best prices on lowers are generally found on their equipment exchange forum. ALL the small time guys are trying to sale lowers and generally have good prices.

A lot of times when someone finds who has the lowest prices. They post up and their is a "run".

www.hardlineoffroad.com
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-28-2008, 04:43 PM

I have always had the best luck with the Russian 7.62 rounds (green casings) That's atleast what I called them when I owned a 7.62 riffle.

93 528cu Lightning
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-28-2008, 04:52 PM

http://www.del-ton.com/AR_15_Rifle_Kits_s/1.htm

Anothe kits deal

www.hardlineoffroad.com
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-29-2008, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncman
I just picked up 4 RRA lowers . Found some bulk Black Talon ammo in 45 ACP that I picked up as well.
I also recommend reloading components. EVEN IF YOU DO NOT RELOAD.

Reloaders can be picked up pretty cheap if needed in the future.
I predict ammo and related stuff will eventually be taxed so buy a few boxes each payday.

I reload so I buy powder , primers, components, shot, wads, and even loaded factory ammo when there is a deal.

If all of this is for naught, then at least in the future you can have a bug BBQ with your buddies and have a plinking party!!

Unfortunately ammo DOES NOT drop in prices but rises with inflation.
Are they still selling Balck Talon? I had a "dust up" a few years back. Self defense. Still when the cops came they went through the house, like it was my fault or something. One of the older cops saw my stash of 45 cal, Black Talons he asked if I had them loaded, I told him the truth ... no I didn't - he advised me to move them to someplace less visible.

I usually load the 1st round in the clip with regular ball, its the second clip that has the Black Talons.

I got the impression they either were or soon were going to be illegal? That was back a few years ago.

Like it or not...death takes its tax...always!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in