Propane Power - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-26-2008, 02:57 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Propane Power

I have a friend who does antique tractor pulling. He runs propane and just liked to dink around with it a little. He now wants to get a little more serious and has come to me. I know nothing of propane and just wondered if anyone here knows anything or knows where I could find the need to know info. Any help would be greatly appreciated. You people helped me build a very nice camper trailer pulling 460 and hoped just maybe someone might know something.

Thanks
Plowboy34
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-26-2008, 04:53 PM
Forum Contributor

What kind of info do you need? Is he going to use this on his pulling tractor?

run what ya brung and hope you brung enough
89 F150 mud drag truck
Charter member 460Ford.com "*** kissers"
BUILT 460Ford.com forum TOUGH. Assembled by me and all my friends here. It don't get no better than that.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-26-2008, 09:19 PM Thread Starter

Well, I am assuming it is basically the same. Air flow, compression, and so on. The main thing I am wondering is how to figure out how much propane to push through the engine. You know, kinda like what size carb to run. Will the plugs look the same as gas or does propane have different colors for rich/lean and so on.

Yes it is for his pulling tractor.

Thanks
Plowboy34

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-26-2008, 09:24 PM Thread Starter

Well, I am assuming it is basically the same. Air flow, compression, and so on. The main thing I am wondering is how to figure out how much propane to push through the engine. You know, kinda like what size carb to run. Will the plugs look the same as gas or does propane have different colors for rich/lean and so on.

Yes it is for his pulling tractor.

By the way schmitty, how's them crops turning out?? There doing ok here. The corn was a fight to get, hurricane ike had a lot of it down and boy was it slow. We are starting to get rice now, which is about a month behind. We have about 1000 acres of that then about 2000 acres beans. Corn did about 170 average, Ike left a lot in the field. Rice looks good but as you know all will be told when the combine hits it.

Thanks
Plowboy34
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-26-2008, 09:41 PM
Forum Contributor

There are a lot of variables on what is required for application. What size motor and how many rpm's. Same formula for what we do with any motor. Find out how many cfm is required for the application. IMPCO makes mixers as large as 425 cfm. You can use as many as you can fit under the hood. :lol: I once saw an I-6 motor with one 225 IMPCO on each hole. 8) They only open as far as the motor lets them. They are regulated by the draw of the cylinder. You can open the butterfly on the bottom all the way, but the diaphragm is what does the regulating. Spark plug burn patterns are fairly similar for rich and lean too. Propane loves compression too, 10:1 is on the mild side.

On the crop side, we got all of the beans done, not too great of yields. Corn is slow right now because of all of the rain lately. 8" in last 12 days. Hope to get going again this week.

89 F150 mud drag truck
BUILT 460Ford.com forum TOUGH. Assembled by me and all my friends here. It don't get no better than that.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-26-2008, 10:11 PM Thread Starter

Like to hear that propane likes compression cause he wanting to go that way if possible. So the vaccuum actually pulls in the amount of propane needed in basic terms. Thanks for the help schmitty, this is kinda cool. Something different but still running an engine, I like it. You have gone over my head with the IMPCO thing, could you please explain a little more.

Thanks
Plowboy34
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-26-2008, 11:04 PM
Forum Contributor

IMPCO 225 mixers are what are on my well motors. They are like a large single butterfly carb. One may bolt directly in place of some of the old style carbs on the antique tractors. The IMPCO 425 looks like a 4bbl carb base with a diaphragm mixer on top. These were used on higher hp well motors like the 534 fords and 605 IH motors. 225 IMPCO's will do about 100hp or so and the 425's will handle about 125-140hp. Here is link to a better description of the carbs.
http://www.propanecarbs.com/examples.html

89 F150 mud drag truck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in