I have a young family and I'm starting to get together some basic disaster supplies. The goal right now is just to be able to defend my family of 5 in case of emergency/looting/natural disaster/terrorist threat/etc. Or give my family the tools and reference material to make it on their own should something happen to me.
Things already on my list:
1. Gun safe
2. Remington 870 tactical shotgun
3. Thinking about an AR15, not sure about 9mm or .223 version
4. Would like a .45 handgun eventually
5. Putting together a 72 hour supply kit - non-perishable food, water, 1st aid, radio, blankets, cash, MANY other supplies - see any 72 hour kit checklist online such as http://www.dola.state.co.us/dem/publ...rgency_kit.htm
6. Printed off FEMA's complete disaster guide and put in 3 ring binder for reference
7. Want a good "outdoor survival" reference book, should the need go well beyond 72 hours
Would like everyone's thoughts on the following:
1. 9mm AR15 worth it over the .223 version?
2. Worth getting quality gas masks and extra canisters?
3. Best survival reference books?
4. Anything else to add to the list?
Thanks for any replies.