Me and my F100 vs my dad - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-01-2008, 12:51 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Send a message via AIM to OldRedFord
Me and my F100 vs my dad

All I have been getting from him recently is how I need to put a smaller engine in it and not race it. That racing is expensive.

And that with the amount of work I have put, and will put in it that I dont need to race it also. That it will be too nice to race. Or that Ill have too mutch in it to race it.

This is only something that I have wanted to do since I was like 14, and now Im finally doing it.

Any time I talk about what I want to do with the engine and he starts on about how I need to do something else engine wise...I feel all torn inside.

No one else has any money in this but ME!

Now I could see what hes saying if it was my only source of transportaton, but its not.

I will add...

I pay for college, my ranger, health costs, gas, cell phone. I never ask them for money.

Also my dad is a computer geek type, complete opposite from me.

2002 Ford Ranger 4x4
1972 Ford F100 Sport Custom
460, C6, 9" rear, lwb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-01-2008, 01:02 AM

Does your Dad have a hobby or "toy" he's passionate about? If so compare your passion for racing this truck to his and maybe he can understand.

If you can afford to do it... that's all that matters. Some folks waste money on way more useless stuff. Tell him your other choice is crack cocain and he'll probably lighten up. :lol:

Bob Meyer
www.BIGBLOCKFOX.com
'69 Mach1 390 4-spd, '64 Falcon Futura
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-01-2008, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBBob_M
Does your Dad have a hobby or "toy" he's passionate about? If so compare your passion for racing this truck to his and maybe he can understand.

If you can afford to do it... that's all that matters. Some folks waste money on way more useless stuff. Tell him your other choice is crack cocain and he'll probably lighten up. :lol:

That's funny.
My wife said to me once she wished I was on crack. It would be cheaper than cars

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-01-2008, 01:06 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to OldRedFord
You know, I really don't think he has any hobbies, or at least any that are active now. He works, comes home watches tv, and sleeps...repeat.

2002 Ford Ranger 4x4
1972 Ford F100 Sport Custom
460, C6, 9" rear, lwb
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-01-2008, 01:38 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to mudbogtom
Parents... can't live with em, can't fit them in a freezer :lol:

Sometimes us parents don't say what is on our minds, we just expect you to pick up on what we mean. It is possible that he wants you to stuff some cash in the bank for a rainy day, a house or family. Surprise him... figure out a budget and actually stick some cash in a savings account to show him you are a responsible type, invite him to a swap meet or 2 and look for bargains so he doesn't think you are just blowing every dollar you save. Ask for a helping hand once in a while when you are wrenching, bleed your brakes if you have to, wire some trailer lights, whatever... include him in whatever you can, he may not be around forever. Take some pictures. Sometimes we just want to be a part of what you have going on.

Tom
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-01-2008, 02:21 AM

Hopefully you can include your dad in some of the project stuff. The reason I've given up on my '69 mustang is because now that I have most of the parts I need, my dad won't take 15 minutes out of his day to help me pull the mock-up engine out of the car. He's promised a lot, but contributed very close to zero over the 8 years I've had the car. Keep pluggin' at it, and do it your way because it's your truck and you ought to know best what would make you happiest with it.

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about answers.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-01-2008, 07:21 AM
Forum Contributor

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbogtom
Parents... can't live with em, can't fit them in a freezer :lol:

Sometimes us parents don't say what is on our minds, we just expect you to pick up on what we mean. It is possible that he wants you to stuff some cash in the bank for a rainy day, a house or family. Surprise him... figure out a budget and actually stick some cash in a savings account to show him you are a responsible type, invite him to a swap meet or 2 and look for bargains so he doesn't think you are just blowing every dollar you save. Ask for a helping hand once in a while when you are wrenching, bleed your brakes if you have to, wire some trailer lights, whatever... include him in whatever you can, he may not be around forever. Take some pictures. Sometimes we just want to be a part of what you have going on.

Tom
Can't top this advice. Communicate with him, exactly as you have with "us". As stated, show him a clear budget and plan, and give him a reason "why" you're doing this. He's just looking out for your best interest, that's what Dads do...but I think they forget the "fun" aspect of life a bit because they are weighed down with responsibilities. Be proactive and show him you're balancing practicality while still enjoying life, I bet he'll understand. I'm guessing you could teach your old man a few things in that category along the way, sounds like he needs to get out of his rut (no offense intended, just see it happen so many times with parents I knew/know).
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-01-2008, 07:40 AM

I think Chilly and Tom gave you some really great advice. include you father in some of your car stuff and ask for help. A parent sometimes just want to help out, enjoy it while you can. I lost my Father this year and I miss him badly. He use to come to the races and watch, he could listen when I came back down the return road and knew when something wasn't right and came to the pits and helped me tune many times...

Let him feel he has some importance in your life, and hobby...Make him feel like he is needed and wanted..
be surprised how much you and him will enjoy it...and it will give you some priceless memories...

Randy
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-01-2008, 07:59 AM
Forum Contributor

On the maiden voyage of my truck this year, my dad was there. He was one proud papa. He did some pit crew stuff, and helped with little things. He is not really a gearhead type and was always after me to quit playing with them darn pickups, but when we fired up that monster and started kicking butt he was grins ear to ear. :lol:

run what ya brung and hope you brung enough
89 F150 mud drag truck
Charter member 460Ford.com "*** kissers"
BUILT 460Ford.com forum TOUGH. Assembled by me and all my friends here. It don't get no better than that.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-01-2008, 08:55 AM

How old are you? See if you can get Dad to help in any way.You gotta have some fun and you gotta have a dream. Because Someday never comes.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-01-2008, 09:04 AM

That sounds exactly like my Dad did when I was starting this crazy venture about 30 years ago. I was like you wanting my Dad's approval.I had a 66 Comet(still do) that he got for me when I was in school. He hated for me to spend money on it.Especially to race it. I won alot of races ,but he wasn't hardly ever there,always the same smart azz question on Sunday ..well how much money did you win last night? That always pee'd me off bigtime. I bought my Mustang while he was in Florida for the winter..when he got home..I could hardly wait to hear him on me about it, but to my surprise he was all for it?? I think it's all because they were raised in harder times than us ,and they had to worry where every penny went or came from. Before my Dad died ,he was biggest fan .I'm just so glad we got to go racing some before he passed..Don't let your Dad bring you down ,what your doing is just a different path than he's taken ,and Dad's are always right but we've got to live our own lives. He'll come around someday ,just don't let him get to you and enjoy your truck,besides it's alot safer to race it than drive it on the street where someone else can run into it.Good luck :lol:

Dan Hobbs 2004 Super Pro Champion Windy Hollow 2002 NHRA National Dragster Challenge Super Pro Champion Beech Bend Raceway Best ET 5.290 @ 132.95 1.14 60 Ft. 575 injected alcohol 2008 & 2009 BBF Bash PRO Champion(The Guy With 2 BIG Checks)2010FunFord Super Pro Winner @Norwalk,Oh. 2011 NHRA National HotRod Reunion Gas Eliminator Champion..2012 Ford Thunder Q-16 Heads Up Champion

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-01-2008, 09:08 AM

Dude that never stops! Friends, co-workers brothers, sisters or your WIFE

I'm 42 and the two main things they say to me about my race care is...

1. Man that thing is a money pit, you will never get that money back
2. I know this guy who died from racing

My buffer to this is my wife loves that the only thing I do is hang out with my sons working on the car and going to the track as a family racing TEAM.

Get use to it because it will never stop!

You only have one Dad, by all means necessary get him involved use that geek-ness to your advantage. Ask him to setup the electronics or something to that nature.

And if he still doesn't come around, make him call LEM!
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-01-2008, 09:37 AM

Great advice from everybody here, one thing that may also help, when you're up and running, give him a ride, I bet he'll get a big ole grin on his face.
But don't take his criticism too seriously, he is only looking out for your best interests, us Dads are like that, when my kid came home with a Buell, I puckered up hard, but he's doing okay with it, and I ride it as much as he does! Have fun with your Dad while you can, that's something you will never regret.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-01-2008, 09:46 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-01-2008, 10:57 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)

My Dad always said that drag racing is one of the dumbest things in the world. He said the only thing dumber was football. He always talked a bunch of crap when I was a kid. Now that I have built a few cars, and taken him for a ride, he has changed his tune. My cars aren't even fast. They're just faster than he remembers his were. :twisted: :twisted: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Where's my beer and that half inch wrench?

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u...cecar066-1.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in