lakewood slapper bars on a 69 f100 truck - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 11:06 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

lakewood slapper bars on a 69 f100 truck

ok not sure where to post this but o well move if need to.
i have a 69 f100 that has a very mild almost stock 460 and i had a very bad wheel hop problem after i got a set of 275-60-15 drag radiels so i looked and looked for something that was bolt on and wouldnt cost me 200-300$
and what i found was universal lakewood traction bars for 45$ and they are not meant to go on a truck but i turned them around facing the back and put them on top of the springs because the axle is mounted under the leafs.
now this is for the truck guys but now the wheel hop is gone and i have a 3500 stall i still dont get any hop what so ever i will go get a picture for those that want to see how they are mounted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-07-2008, 07:31 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Never thought to do it that way.

I can see where a slapper bar installed backward on a leafspring setup would probably still help controll wheel hop by keeping the suspension's rotating/rebounding energy loaded to one set point (the snubbers). But turning them backward might cause some launch spin because the bar rotation won't be planting the tire/slick sidewall for best traction.

A slapper bar facing forward tries to (all at the same time) [A] lift/rotate upward at the body/chassis at the snubber, and [B] push/rotate downward at the housing/rim. Theoritically mounting the bar facing backward should do the opposite.......theoritically. Only way to know for sure what will happen is bolt on a set of slicks and go track testing.

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.S. Dave::
460 street '66 Ranchero.......................finished someday.
460 race '70 Maverick..........................finished someday.
All 'glass Top Sportsman '69 Mustang......ummm, check back when I win big playing the Texas Lotto, or online poker.
My youtube page. Some ancient & newer local race video.

Join the Poker Players Alliance (theppa.org). US online poker should NOT be turned into a crime.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-07-2008, 07:43 PM

but i turned them around facing the back and put them on top of the springs because the axle is mounted under the leafs.

Here's the secert.

he's took the spring wrap out of the rear of the springs.

Dan

www.shazampulling.com

The older I get the less I seem to know.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-07-2008, 08:09 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

That setup might be fine for daily street driving. But for drag racing pointing the bar backward on top of the spring should remove the needed body/rim separation that is used to plant the tire/slick into the track surface.

Theoretically since the rotating snubbers land behind the rear axle centerline, it should cause the housing/rim centerline to jerk up-away from the track surface momentarily unloading the tire/slick from the track surface. It may halt the wheel-hop at the cost of increased wheel spin.

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.S. Dave::
460 street '66 Ranchero.......................finished someday.
460 race '70 Maverick..........................finished someday.
All 'glass Top Sportsman '69 Mustang......ummm, check back when I win big playing the Texas Lotto, or online poker.
My youtube page. Some ancient & newer local race video.

Join the Poker Players Alliance (theppa.org). US online poker should NOT be turned into a crime.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-08-2008, 09:07 AM

Well Dave I dont know all the tech behind it? But I have an old Buddy thats running a Nice 390 in his 70 PU...and he's been running the slapper bars that way for years up side down and backwards but he does also use a adjustable snubber above the nose of the rear end..Now he's only making about 450fwhp and he'll spin some on the street but seems to hook pretty well at the track on ET streets ??

Just from whats I have seen!!

~Russ
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-08-2008, 06:16 PM

ive got a set of lakewood heavy duty traction bars under my truck.

PN#22026
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in