Shop heaters? - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-10-2008, 11:40 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)

Garage
Shop heaters?

Anyone have any input on shop heaters? Pro/cons of different types. I'm limited to electric heat, and 120V would save me from calling an electrician hard wire something in. Kind of like the idea of just throwing a couple overhead radiant units up, but the bigger blower type looks like it would really throw some serious heat.

Maybe a couple cieling mounted radiant heaters?
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...2122_200362122

Or a more industrial type blower unit?
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...t_6970_595_595

PTAC/PTHP units?
http://ptac4less.net/shop/index.php?...47e083c78e6e86
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-11-2008, 06:05 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

x

Carl if you have a supply or access to spent oil, the overhead oil heaters work great! Those overhead electrical radiant units can become very expensive at the end of the month! I use natural gas. I took a down draft unit and modified it a bit then installed it in the overhead storage area of my shop, away from any explosive fumes that may inhabit the shop! I use fresh air for the intake, too in an effort to avoid induces contaminated air (fumes) into the furnace's combustion chamber. Works great!

Dave.

Masters Degree in Perverted Idiocy.
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-11-2008, 06:19 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

carl i know where you can get thermally insulated garage doors cheap, lol. garage door bob....of course i could use that engine you sold me installed and tuned. lol. bobn

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-11-2008, 06:45 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

I need to get me one really bad... it is expected to get down to the 40's this weekend. brrrrr!

Actually I would like it if it got colder down here. In the last 30 years there has been snow around here only twice, and once was so light it only lasted a few hours. Last year I was in Milwaukee and they had the biggest snow storm in years and I loved it. I was out walking around with just a light jacket on for hours. Maybe I should have been born in Alaska?

Sharpen your pitchforks and light your torches... 'CHANGE' is coming!

We say grace, and we say ma'am, if you ain't into that we don't give a damn... cause a country boy can survive!
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-11-2008, 09:03 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Nat gas is out. There would be trenching and running line, etc. Not going to get into that right now.

Propane? Maybe, But I'd rather have something that didn't need to bring in fuel from an outside vendor.

Waste oil? I wish. I've dispose of enough used motor oil every year that I'd never have to pay for heat again. Ony problem is that the only waste oil heaters I've found are ~$5000+ and 200,000 btu+. Way too big. If somebody knows of a thermostat controlled auto ignition waste oil heater in the 20,000-50,000 btu range at a reasonable price, please let me know!

Part of the reason I'm looking mostly at electric is that I'm a little concerned about fumes from gas/oil/kerosene heaters.

How about solar? Anyone have experience there?

Fastest street legal BBF on 460Ford.com
Fastest AFR headed BBF on 460Ford.com
Fastest street legal 2nd gen Montego GT on EARTH!
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-11-2008, 10:19 AM

I did some looking, and couldn't find anything under 140K BTU, anything commercially available that is. I found this link, though:

http://www.journeytoforever.org/biof...earth/me4.html

Kinda crude, doesn't auto-ignite, you could prolly fabricate something to do that though, the price is hard to beat! I would have to see one working before I would trust it though, I'll keep looking for something commercially available.
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-11-2008, 01:19 PM

You could use an air handler with an electric heat package, I just priced one locally for under $700 that would be in that size range, but it would require 220 to run.

Edit: That had a coil in it for a heat pump, so you can prolly knock $200 off of that for straight electric.
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-11-2008, 01:41 PM

My shop is 40x60x12 , well insulated and I have a 140k overhead forced air furnace I heat with. I turn it off at nights and the next morning I start up the 50k kero fed torpedo heater for about 5/10 minutes(according to outside temp.) Elec. runs 120.00 per month average in cold winter months. Rick

Rick Brown
(LIL TWEETY) BBF 62 Falcon Tube Chassis
Member of a BAND OF BROTHERS

Pro Motion Machining
Perfect Reflections Photography
Bronx Corner Automotive
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-11-2008, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarsByCarl
Waste oil? I wish. I've dispose of enough used motor oil every year that I'd never have to pay for heat again. Ony problem is that the only waste oil heaters I've found are ~$5000+ and 200,000 btu+. Way too big. If somebody knows of a thermostat controlled auto ignition waste oil heater in the 20,000-50,000 btu range at a reasonable price, please let me know!

How about solar? Anyone have experience there?
My brother & I built his shop, its small compared to most in the area, just 24'X28', but we thought it out in advance,
we installed PEX pipe in the slab so he could heat it in the winter. He builds custom bicycles and tricycles for the
mentally disabled. He can keep the shop at a constant 55*F all winter long with a 40G water heater, and pump...

SteveL

“This is the point in the killing spree when you really should turn the gun on yourself…”
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-11-2008, 08:07 PM

That is by far the best way to do it, if you're pouring the slab.
Nothing better than warm feet! :!:
post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-11-2008, 08:30 PM

I just got the natural gas deal in the shop now, In my old one I just had the infared job that you bolt on the propane tank, worked really effective. Of course it was a 24 x 26 shop, I doubt they would well in my bigger one.

Another key is insulation, I poured it to this one when we sheet rocked the inside, it never gets below freezing even if I dont run the heater for a week or so in the dead of winter, and it makes it tons easier to cool in the summer with the a/c.

69 Grande'
P51 headed 563
3070#'s
5.15 @ 134.89
post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-11-2008, 08:52 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Well, I ordered up three 1500W overhead radiant heaters. Works out close to 15,000 btu i think. I like the idea of warming the objects instead of just the air.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...7X-_-100652234

I don't expect them to be the end all answer, but they should get it done on mild days. I also have a 23,000 btu top hat kero heater for colder days...for now. Winters tend to be faily mild where I'm at 30-50 most of the time, but we do have some serious cold snaps down to the -10 to +10 range.

Sill looking for "real" solution. Propane is looking more appealing, and 220V isn't too big of a deal to wire. What is an air handler anyhow? Just a stand alone furnace?

Fastest street legal BBF on 460Ford.com
Fastest AFR headed BBF on 460Ford.com
Fastest street legal 2nd gen Montego GT on EARTH!
post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-11-2008, 09:08 PM

An air handler is the inside portion of a heat pump, usually with an electric heat section and an A/C coil or spot for one, you would be straight electric, so you wouldn't need the coil, very much like a mobile home electric furnace.
post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 09:15 PM

What size shop are you trying to heat? Is it insulated?
3 1500w heaters on 120 volts are going to draw 37.5 amps. If you only have 120v ran to your shop that is going to be a lot of load. Also resistive heat is the most inefficient way to heat.
I use wood but if that is not an option for you I would look at propane. If you use the wall hung vent less propane heaters they are 100% efficient so you loose nothing. And if you have a gas spill or something flammable you can shut them down.
One night I was looking at a small gas leak on my truck, you could smell gas and the tank had a wet spot on the bottom of it. "I had a big fire blazing in the stove" there was some rust on the bottom of the tank so I thought I would scratch on it with a screwdriver. Next thing I know is I have a 1/4 hole in the bottom of the tank and gas everywhere and the stove is about 20ft away. Luckily I only had about 1/4 tank of gas and I got the front of the truck jacked up high and I opened all the doors and turned of the fans to get the fumes out.

It would of been nice to have propane so I could of just shut the fire off.
post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 06:59 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

i live in minnesota, so i am used to dealing with cold. also i work in residential construction and specifically in garages. if your building is not well insulated, including overhead doors, ceiling, with proper eve vents the only thing you are gonna accomplish is to turn everthing metal into a frosty sweaty rusty pos. either warm to say 50 or all the way cold. none of this heat on then off stuff. once the cement slab gets cold its worse than trying to melt ice in the freezer.
.....once you are well insulated then you would be surprized how little it takes to keep it warm. 30,000 btu is enough for a 20x24 garage. bobn

sorry for the edits i suck at spelling.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in