Anybody know about leased farm and/or ranch land? - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-14-2008, 06:07 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Anybody know about leased farm and/or ranch land?

My wife and I recently bought 30 acres. The property has three fenced areas:

1) Home + ~5 acres
2) ~5 acres
3) 20 acres

I know nothing about and have limited interests in farming and/or ranching. Currently, the neighbor has a dozen horses which graze on the back 20 acres. I would like to learn more about the possible income opportunities from the excess land.

So, have any of you leased land before? If so, what where the costs? If it's $100/year, it's not worth the trouble, but I honestly have no clue how much income potential this idea has. On the flip side, I don't expect to get rich on it either .

The 20 acres is terraced and has water access. The ~5 acres is pretty flat. Both sections are 'natural'.

Have a good day!
Michael

2003 F150 Supercrew
BBF
Turbo

1996 Ford Mustang
2.3t w/ HE351VE turbo
12.10 @ 114 mph
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-14-2008, 06:49 PM
Forum Contributor

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I farm here in Nebraska, and the going rate here for hard grass pasture is $145/ animal unit for 6 month grazing period. Usually this is May15 to Nov 15. Year round should be more. It would seem to be about $1/ day for additional time. If it is tilled crop land, that is usually rented on shares or a set amount of cash rent. I do my rented ground on shares mostly 1/3 for the land owner and 2/3 for my end, with the inputs shared on this basis also. Cash rent seems to be about $125-$160/acre for irrigated land with location and soil types deciding the applicable rent. Non irrigated land would be just under $100/acre. Hope this helps. Your local extension agent would be able to help you with the going local rates too. 8)

run what ya brung and hope you brung enough
89 F150 mud drag truck
Charter member 460Ford.com "*** kissers"
BUILT 460Ford.com forum TOUGH. Assembled by me and all my friends here. It don't get no better than that.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-15-2008, 10:16 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I think the price Schmitty listed would be a little high locally around here but he did mention going to the extension office and that is really good advice. You just need to find out your states land grant university (in your case that would be OSU, land grants are almost always listed as "your" STATE or *SU for short such as OSU, or ISU in my case) they will almost always have a county extension office many times associated with the local fair ground (not always) and they carry a list of stuff like local average land lease costs, as well as custom farming charges such as tillage, mowing, harvesting, planting etc.
The extension office is your friend when it comes to a multitude of questions you will encounter as land owners.

Edit to add, here is the directory for the Oklahoma state university extension offices by county.

http://countyext2.okstate.edu/

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-16-2008, 09:00 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Thanks for the info guys! Now, I can approach this from a more educated direction.

Have a good day!
Michael

2003 F150 Supercrew
BBF
Turbo

1996 Ford Mustang
2.3t w/ HE351VE turbo
12.10 @ 114 mph
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in