Jon, Help with 98 F150 4.6 Pls UPDATE - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-19-2008, 08:31 PM
s_stang

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Jon, Help with 98 F150 4.6 Pls UPDATE

Hi,

The truck came in with a trans code for a pressure solenoid. We changed the solenoid. Still has code.

Some details and I believe I have two problems at hand:

When I started it up (cold) it was missing for a couple of seconds then kind of cleared up. I brought it into the shop. If you put it in gear and give it some throttle (700Rpm) it will start missing. Take it out of gear and flash the throttle it will rev but with a hit of a missfire.

Using the Snappy Red Brick..When it's in gear& depress the throttle to 700 Rpm.. the O2's will go to zero and it will sound like a lean rattle (missfire). When it does this it goes into open loop.

The brick shows No on the missfire and Injectors are OK..

I looked at the TPS with the engine off and the sweep doesen't seem to drop off on the scanner.

The Troubleshooter in the Red Brick says to disconnect the MAF and try that.. It don't seem to effect the lean condition as the O2's will go to zero. I disconnected the battery to reset the Baro and that didn't help.

The truck had orignal plugs at 96K miles so we changed them and the friggin long azz wires.

Fuel pressure is Good and it appears that the customer had replaced the fuel filter because it was new looking.

Well any ideas on the lean conditions?? I did check for a vac leak but cant hear any??

I still have that code of the tranny but no other codes..

Thanks Pal!

Les
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-19-2008, 08:47 PM
s_stang

One more tid bit.. We used Autolite plugs with the Platium on the electrode.. The plugs in the truck were Motorcraft with the platium on the "J" or ground strap.. Does this make a difference?

Thanks
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-19-2008, 08:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

they got trucks that burn gas?????

sorry man, i aint no help here.

69 Grande'
P51 headed 563
3070#'s
5.15 @ 134.89

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-19-2008, 09:23 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to moparman
If it's missing it will show a lean condition because the O2 sensors read oxygen. IE, the oxygen is not burning with the fuel. In a nice complete burn there's a certain amount of oxygen left in the exhaust just like there's a certain amount of fuel left unburned. Does it have a coil gone bad? I had a 4.2 v6 ford (may have been 4.0, can't remember) that ran almost consistent with what you are talking about and I removed the coil pack, compared resistance across the primary and secondary circuits to a new coil, found a difference and thought, what the heck. Bought the new coil pack and problem was solved.

Bumblebee tuna...
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-19-2008, 10:14 PM
s_stang

Quote:
Originally Posted by richter69
they got trucks that burn gas?????

sorry man, i aint no help here.
TY Jon.. Just figured ya may have ran acrossed this problem at the dealer..

Ya Rock and tY for the reply!

Les
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-19-2008, 10:17 PM
s_stang

Quote:
Originally Posted by moparman
If it's missing it will show a lean condition because the O2 sensors read oxygen. IE, the oxygen is not burning with the fuel. In a nice complete burn there's a certain amount of oxygen left in the exhaust just like there's a certain amount of fuel left unburned. Does it have a coil gone bad? I had a 4.2 v6 ford (may have been 4.0, can't remember) that ran almost consistent with what you are talking about and I removed the coil pack, compared resistance across the primary and secondary circuits to a new coil, found a difference and thought, what the heck. Bought the new coil pack and problem was solved.
I agree.. I had a good know coil and tried it on one side.. No Help.. Put the timing light on the wires on the other side (one at a time) and didn't see any spark falling off.. It's a tough one.. I guess I'll keep at it!

Thank you for the suggestion..

Les
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-20-2008, 10:40 PM
s_stang

Thanks all..

Swapped in another computer and that fixed it.. Crazy how a Tranny soloniod would take out the computer?

On the flip side.. My research says not to install Autolite Pluge in the 4.6.

The Motorcraft plugs have the Plaitmum on the ground strap, while Autolite have it on the electrode. Not sure if having the Platitumn on the electrode causes more resistance..

Interesting at best..
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-20-2008, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_stang
Swapped in another computer and that fixed it.. Crazy how a Tranny soloniod would take out the computer?
amp draw......

Quote:
The Motorcraft plugs have the Plaitmum on the ground strap, while Autolite have it on the electrode. Not sure if having the Platitumn on the electrode causes more resistance..
Interesting at best..
that's why you should have used the double platinum plugs. they have it on both sides.

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/2158/ricksadql2.jpg
www.rickscarcare.net
Big Thanks to Chris Corey
aka TopSportsman916
[email protected] ALL MOTOR - NO KOOLAID
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-20-2008, 10:57 PM
s_stang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordtek1
Quote:
Originally Posted by s_stang
amp draw......

Quote:
Interesting at best..
that's why you should have used the double platinum plugs. they have it on both sides.
Got ya.. Sticker Shock for the customer.. Any Plugs you suggest that are DDB Plat other then Autolite?

Thanks for the reply
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-20-2008, 11:32 PM

All I use is autolite...........never had any issues with them in any kind of car. Lately I've been using the iridium plugs from Autolite and have had good feedback from them as well

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/2158/ricksadql2.jpg
www.rickscarcare.net
Big Thanks to Chris Corey
aka TopSportsman916
[email protected] ALL MOTOR - NO KOOLAID
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in