wondering about the car industry/ Kaase - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-20-2008, 10:52 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

wondering about the car industry/ Kaase

There is something I have been wondering about. The Asian auto makers built plants here in the US years ago. No doubt with help and insentives from Uncle Sam and the states where they located. What I am wanting to know is, do Ford, GM or Chrysler have similar assembly plants in Japan? Do we have dealers there? Does anyone know how this works? ... Jon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-20-2008, 11:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Good :?: Jon.

Rick Brown
(LIL TWEETY) BBF 62 Falcon Tube Chassis
Member of a BAND OF BROTHERS

Pro Motion Machining
Perfect Reflections Photography
Bronx Corner Automotive
post #3 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-20-2008, 11:46 AM

I know Buick sales are very good in China, or at least were as of a couple years ago.

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about answers.

post #4 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-20-2008, 11:49 AM
RJP

Jon, From what I've heard we have no assembly plants in Japan and sell very few cars there due in part to import taraffs and trade restrictions. Japan enjoys a protectionism that limits the sale of imported goods unless it is something they need such as food. We export alot of produce and other commodities such as rice. Do we impliment trade restrictions the same as Japan? IMO if we do the quality of our products will deteriorate just as it did in the 70s because our companies will not have to compete in an open market.
post #5 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-20-2008, 12:29 PM

GM does have Plants in China, No Automakers have any direct plants in Japan, but some US makers do own substantial portions of some Japanese Automakers. Mazada, Mitsubishi, Ect.

Gm and Ford Both have substantial plants in Austrailia and Ford has a bunch of stuff in Europe.
post #6 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-20-2008, 12:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I can't speak much as to the current state of things in Japan in regards to the auto industry-some info below. However, as of a few years ago-

The U.S. automakers were virtually prohibited from producing anything for the Japanese domestic market, inasmuch as the laws & regulations were so restrictive. This was done deliberately-not just in the automotive field, but most other areas as well- to restrict imports of all kinds.

If you look at the import vs. export trade balance of Japan, for example, in 2007, the overall balance was about 73 trillion yen imported vs. 84 trillion yen exported. However, if you subtract oil & other mineral fuels, the balance becomes 53T vs. 84T. yen.

If you subtract other raw materials & chemicals used for manufacturing...(not including foodstuffs in the subtraction) the ratio becomes 41.6T vs. 84T. yen.

GM does have a small segment of its global operations dedicated to Japan. http://www.gm.com/corporate/about/gl...cific/japa.jsp under General Motors Asia Pacific & General Motors Japan (two separate companies). When you review the product line, however, the Corvette & the Trailblazer are about the only U.S.-made vehicles...the rest are Asian-sourced from Suzuki, or distributed/modified by Mitsui. Japanese laws generally require that foreign companies either partner with Japanese companies, or that the Japanese "branch" be a wholly separate company with only vestigial ties to the U.S. firm.

Ford is represented, on a limited basis, by Ford Japan Ltd. http://www.ford.co.jp/servlet/Conten...agename=DFY/JP To give a limited idea, Ford sold about 6200 vehicles in Japan in 2005, from 84 dealerships.

Total import share in Japan for cars & light trucks/SUVs is around 5% of that market, more or less....the total share of imported TRANSPORT EQUIPMENT (which includes cars, trucks, and equipment like loaders, excavators, etc.) is only 3.5% of that 73.1 trillion yen.

Probably more than you were looking for, , but the subject interests me quite a bit.

Mike

IN: Staring adversity in the face while working on your car and coming out on top

OUT: Finally realizing that every $%&# thing you touch on your car turns to adversity
post #7 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-20-2008, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJP
Jon, From what I've heard we have no assembly plants in Japan and sell very few cars there due in part to import taraffs and trade restrictions. Japan enjoys a protectionism that limits the sale of imported goods unless it is something they need such as food. We export alot of produce and other commodities such as rice. Do we impliment trade restrictions the same as Japan? IMO if we do the quality of our products will deteriorate just as it did in the 70s because our companies will not have to compete in an open market.
and as a result of tariffs everything there is ultra expensive. Which is why Japanese fly overseas here to buy clothes then take them home.
post #8 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-20-2008, 06:19 PM

Quoted: 106 Post(s)

Alabama is a state of just 4 million people yet is listed as 13th of 50 on "federal funds for state usage" and have at least two Asian automakers assembly plants in that state with NO big 3 ties.

Ask them and they will adamantly tell you that if it's made in Alabama it is AMERICAN ... hog wash.

www.rmcompetition.com

R.M. Competition - The finest Custom Engine Building for any venue ... !
Selling Parts and Supplies from companies I use ... 1(586)909-1591

CUSTOM ground camshafts
Carburetor modifications for specific applications
CNC porting
post #9 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-20-2008, 06:38 PM

I remember in the late 90's when I went to a Ford Training Center, they had a world map on the wall that showed all the car companies worldwide and linked their affiates in other countries. It was amazing the comapnies that were in bed together. Kia, the korean car company was linked to Ford for a long time. the festiva was actually made by Kia for Ford. That got Kia's feet in the door in the us and taught therm how to get their cars in the us. It wasn't long after that, they split and Kia now sells their own cars here.

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/2158/ricksadql2.jpg
www.rickscarcare.net
Big Thanks to Chris Corey
aka TopSportsman916
[email protected] ALL MOTOR - NO KOOLAID
post #10 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-20-2008, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Kia, the korean car company was linked to Ford for a long time. the festiva was actually made by Kia for Ford. That got Kia's feet in the door in the us and taught therm how to get their cars in the us. It wasn't long after that, they split and Kia now sells their own cars here.

See what happens when you sleep together with out being married. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Also most of the KIA cars look like FORD cars. :shock:

Tom Williams
Big Block 36 Ford 1 ton truck 460 5spd
1929 Ford Model A
1972 Gran Torino Sport
1987 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
2006 Ford Ranger
http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/b...emod4fun36.jpg
post #11 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-20-2008, 08:16 PM

Don't get me wrong I'm all for the Big 3 and they employee a lot of people. I don't want to see anyone loose the retirement or job. I might not agree with how things have been ran in the past but that doesn't mean it's worth the millions of people that will be un-employed. (You never know Kia could swoop in and buy GM!! :shock: ) It seems all they have to do is come up with a good, better, best busniess plan and they might be on their way to some $$$.

But don't dis on the car plants here in the south. They put a lot of people to work also. Those jobs could have been any where else in the world.

I do feel like we might end-up loosing one of the big three and I can't help but to think of Chrysler.

93 528cu Lightning
post #12 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-20-2008, 08:21 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

off topic --but the Volvo dealership and the caddilac dealership just shut there doors ----- and the Bmw and the Mercedes Benz just opened multi million dollar facilities here ---my Dealership business has not declined with Bmw and Mercedes Benz.... but has almost stop with all the other dealerships...... and they have laid off lots of employeess----- not good

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #13 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-20-2008, 08:25 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)

I just heard on the radio that China is making plans to buy GM and Chrysler. :shock: We'll see if that is true.

Where's my beer and that half inch wrench?

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u...cecar066-1.jpg
post #14 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-20-2008, 09:20 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

On the news last night here in L. A. Ca Was a report on how bad the storage yards at the port are as they are full of Mercedes & BMW's. It was reported that all the dealerships are full and can't sell what they have on hand, and nowhere to put the excess cars. The cost to let them sit at the port is huge. They showed the mess from the news chopper.
Van
post #15 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-20-2008, 09:43 PM

It wasn't just the Euro cars it was all the imports. Although I do wonder why Mercedes and BMW come through Long Beach, I guess it's cheaper for the boat to go around than for a truck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in