Popular Hotrodding question - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-20-2008, 11:53 AM Thread Starter
RJP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Popular Hotrodding question

What notorious oiling problem does the 385 series engine have that is quoted on page 56 of the Jan. 09 issue of PHR?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-20-2008, 07:16 PM

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-20-2008, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
RJP

Thanks for the link. Sorry I missed that thread as my PHR just arrived yesterday. I guess I'm at the tail end of the magazine's mailing list. Pisses me off to read **** like that as it makes BBFs look like they need more work than they accually do. Gives Chebby freaks more ammo to bash Fords. I had to listen to all that crapola thru the 60s, 70s and 80s with the FE and all the alleged oiling problems the FE had.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-20-2008, 11:58 PM

As far as the BBF's supposedly poor oiling system, I'll take it over anything else below 6500 rpm. You can leave one of those engines sit for 6 months, fire it up, and never hear a lifter rattle. And around here in irrigation country, the 460 is the (excuse the pun) - "Cadilac" of pumping unit engines. I've never even seen a BBC pumping water. Reasons for the 460 popularity...hard blocks that don't wear, superior top end oiling to control heat and wear on the super hot exhaust guides, symetrical exhaust ports to control hot spots, lots of valve cover bolts and a drainback system that keeps the oil below the gasket and reduces leaks on the fried gaskets, and a few others I can't think of at this late hour. My friend pulled a 460 apart after 24 years of pumping (about 1.4 million miles equivalent), and the machine shop asked him why he was rebuilding it, cause it looked fine.

668. The neighbour of the beast.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-21-2008, 12:43 AM

Be careful with those well pump motors... they're well-known 'round this forum as the greatest thing ever. Seriously though, I'd be quite tickled to get any good running 460 as I agree they're overall very good engines considering how old they are.

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about answers.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-21-2008, 07:17 AM

Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)

Overall Ford hit the nail on the head with these engines and they have very few true weak areas. I really believe that the only reason that they are not more popular when compared to the Chevy is the lack of a factory promoted performance image. They came onto the scene a little too late. If they had started around 1965 things might have been a lot different.

That's ok with me because it makes the core engines a lot less expensive.

Weren't Olds 330's used a lot for water pumping too?

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic --Arthur C. Clarke

Dave McLain
McLain's Automotive
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-21-2008, 11:37 AM Thread Starter
RJP

What would any of you do to modify the oiling system for service above 6500 rpm? I am aware of the usual big capacity pan, and a CJ style pump but past that what else is needed?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in