To paint or not to paint - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-27-2008, 03:29 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

To paint or not to paint

The shop floor......whats the pro's and cons. I have 10 gallons of 2 part apoxy. Is it worth my time?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-27-2008, 03:51 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

That I know of:

1. The only con is it won't stick good to some floors, but if you rough it up good it probably will.

1. Major positive for some cases, some floors "leak" an oily up when hot and humid, painting the floor traps that in. That oily substance is very slick if you ever had to walk on it.

2. Easier to clean.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-27-2008, 03:57 PM Thread Starter

The paint was free.......i'm having second thought about it. I may be to parinoid that I'm going to chip it. May wait til i'm finished with my car. I don't know how it will stand up to floor jacks ect.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-27-2008, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck
The paint was free.......i'm having second thought about it. I may be to parinoid that I'm going to chip it. May wait til i'm finished with my car. I don't know how it will stand up to floor jacks ect.
I have yet to see a floor at work that even stands up to an office chair
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-27-2008, 05:13 PM

The floors at my work are painted with it ,and we run fork trucks and metal across them all day long and they hold up really good . I wish I'd painted mine when it was new.Good luck whatever you do.

Dan Hobbs 2004 Super Pro Champion Windy Hollow 2002 NHRA National Dragster Challenge Super Pro Champion Beech Bend Raceway Best ET 5.290 @ 132.95 1.14 60 Ft. 575 injected alcohol 2008 & 2009 BBF Bash PRO Champion(The Guy With 2 BIG Checks)2010FunFord Super Pro Winner @Norwalk,Oh. 2011 NHRA National HotRod Reunion Gas Eliminator Champion..2012 Ford Thunder Q-16 Heads Up Champion

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-27-2008, 05:37 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to mudbogtom
I have never applied this and the only comments I have are based on what I have seen others do.

I think that there are many different brands out there, and not all are equal. It has been my observation that new floors poured of quality concrete with proper prep last the longest. Poor prep or not following directions results in extemely bad experiences. This includes curing times that people don't understand and expect too much, such as: "Can be used in 48 hours..." which to me means "You can walk across it in 48 hours but an engine stand with a 460 rolling across it is gonna make a mess of your new floor if you don't wait a month for it to cure." Old floors that have had oil and trans fluid spilled over them repeatedly for 20 years need not apply :lol:

The best results I have seen done were on a floor that was 5 years old and in very good shape, done by a professional company that spent 3 separate partial days doing prep and cleaning. The worst job I have seen was on a new floor of a new house that never was used, and was done by a professional in 1 working day. 5 days later, hot tires from driving in July in Phoenix lifted 2 tracks on its way into the garage after he was told he could use it in 5-7 days.

Tom
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-27-2008, 05:42 PM

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-27-2008, 06:25 PM

Chuck, Remember Epoxy is not like regular paint. IT"S HARD :shock: Just get the floor real clean. You won't regret it. Goforit. Rick

Rick Brown
(LIL TWEETY) BBF 62 Falcon Tube Chassis
Member of a BAND OF BROTHERS

Pro Motion Machining
Perfect Reflections Photography
Bronx Corner Automotive
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-27-2008, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruno
Just Tile it

Is that ceramic tile? You did a good job, it looks good. But knowing me I probably drop a hammer or something equally heavy and crack it.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-27-2008, 08:48 PM

Chuck all i know is that you need to really give that concrete a good acid bath and also prep with a good sealer....... give the company a call and they can give you some good tips on appling there paint

and on the Tile deal i have dropped alot things on it and have resist cracks and chips ....... we did have to use a special epoxy cement for the tile to some what float over the concrete .....

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-27-2008, 08:58 PM Thread Starter

The paint is from americoat, it's off shore apoxy they use to line tanker cars and concrete. I got from a freind that works @ the rail road, i looked it up on the net. they say it's good stuff also used by the navy. My floor is 6yrs old & oil free. I'm not real sure how far 10gal will go, do you think it will cover a 36x40 shop? Bruno I'd love to tile black & white checker board,but I'd like to make some passes with my car before I'm 40
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-27-2008, 09:31 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

one gal. usely covers 100sq.ft thats 10x10. you have 1440sq.ft.
your short 440. thin it out a little.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-27-2008, 10:48 PM

Send a message via MSN to powerstrokeace
I would look in to the high end homes that have there floor seal with multiple type colors just for choice.There's a lot of companies out there that will do this but will be very pricey. I've had estimates from $3200-$4500 I've had mine done and have not had good results. I used a floor scrubber and concrete cleaner and miretic acid ( spelling) to clean the floor and then dry for 2 days and then apply the epoxy(mix in type) type paint. let it set up for 2 weeks and it still peeled up after the first year but has been on there for for 16 years. then 7 years ago I had professional company strip and redo it and these guy's used a BERH one step paint from Home Depot and after they cleaned and prep (it was done the same way I did it) they put on 3 coats in 2 days then I let it set up for 2 1/2 weeks ( they recommeded 7 days) and the first time I pulled in the garage with the wife's car it lifted. I fought with them and Berh to get some of my money back and the only thing Berh offered was more JUNK paint to replace it.

Ace
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-27-2008, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Declawed69
Quote:
Just Tile it

Is that ceramic tile? You did a good job, it looks good. But knowing me I probably drop a hammer or something equally heavy and crack it.
Looks good but how does the cherry pick roll across it. Or your engine stand with the motor on it.

Ace
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-27-2008, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerstrokeace
Quote:
Originally Posted by Declawed69
Quote:
Just Tile it

Looks good but how does the cherry pick roll across it. Or your engine stand with the motor on it. Or jacking your car up with a floor jack and trying to move it without cracking the tiles?

Ace
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in