Value of a 70 fairlane - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-06-2008, 10:14 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Value of a 70 fairlane

My co-driver has been wanting a 70 torino for as long as I have known him but the prices are pretty high for anything not rusted out around here. Well he wants me to go with him to look at a 70 fairlane which is close enough for him but what is the price range he should be thinking in. The owner is asking $5100 which I think is high and apparently is because it's been for sale for a while and the kid that works for him said he knew he would take less.
So what we have is like I said 70 Fairlane 2dr, 6cyl auto with 4 wheel drum brakes.
Body looks straight and only has one rust bubble behind the drivers side rear wheel (going to check it closer today, so far going on my co-drivers quick look over yesterday) interior is original and clean, and the truck looks perfect inside.
So what is it worth? And what areas to look for problems on this particular car when I go look it over later today?

Yes of coarse it will be getting a different engine and worked over, can't get him into a Big block, he thinks he wants a 302 but I think i have him talked into at least a 351C, or possibly a FE (I have 3 390s sitting in one of his buildings he could use as a core) Did the 70s ever come with the FEs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-06-2008, 10:34 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Rob,

If it is a 2 dr Sedan (you didn't specify) then it would be a prime candidate for a 1970 1/2 Falcon SCJ 429 clone. Take a look at the DVD of the 2008 Ford Bash and look for pictures of Ken & Wally Herberts original Falcon SCJ 4-speed car that was there. The car was painted with a yellow and lime green original "lace" paint job from the 70's. It was an attention getter! Just a 466 CID short block with ported TFS Street Mafia heads and a Victor. I guess my point is that instead of any of those other engines you listed, I'd be putting a 385 series in it. $1500 doesn't sound too bad in my book.

Hope this helps,

Charlie Evans
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-06-2008, 10:45 AM

Id consider it a roller with the 6 in it.

Your going to pretty much toss the full driveline if you throw any power at it.

Here's the long and short.
Its worth a lot as a parts car if its complete.
$1000+ for the grill
$600+ for the dashpad
$1200+ for clean quarters
$200 for the hood
$100 ea for super clean uncracked door latched
$40 for the washer jug
$75 for pristene fenders
$150 for the valances
$100 ea perfect bumpers
$75 for the disk spindles

All that said, I paid $1500 for two rust free hardtop rollers.

$5100 is too high.

Still, having one of these is an awful lot of fun

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-06-2008, 11:31 AM

IMO,If he wants it bad enough,its worth whatever he wants too pay 8) Rick

Rick Brown
(LIL TWEETY) BBF 62 Falcon Tube Chassis
Member of a BAND OF BROTHERS

Pro Motion Machining
Perfect Reflections Photography
Bronx Corner Automotive
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-06-2008, 11:41 AM

they don't make them anymore ,so I'd say it's worth somewhere between whatever you are willing to pay and his bottom dollar. Car prices are nuts on this older stuff.I don't think a 6clynder car is worth anything close to V8 car ,but if your gonna make a Hotrod out of it, your gonna change everything anyway.You can never ask too much ,because you can come down.Bottom line ,it's the owner's car ,he sets the value of it...but will it ever bring that?

Dan Hobbs 2004 Super Pro Champion Windy Hollow 2002 NHRA National Dragster Challenge Super Pro Champion Beech Bend Raceway Best ET 5.290 @ 132.95 1.14 60 Ft. 575 injected alcohol 2008 & 2009 BBF Bash PRO Champion(The Guy With 2 BIG Checks)2010FunFord Super Pro Winner @Norwalk,Oh. 2011 NHRA National HotRod Reunion Gas Eliminator Champion..2012 Ford Thunder Q-16 Heads Up Champion

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-06-2008, 11:42 AM

I'd gladly give Phil $5100 for that blue one!! :lol:

Dan Hobbs 2004 Super Pro Champion Windy Hollow 2002 NHRA National Dragster Challenge Super Pro Champion Beech Bend Raceway Best ET 5.290 @ 132.95 1.14 60 Ft. 575 injected alcohol 2008 & 2009 BBF Bash PRO Champion(The Guy With 2 BIG Checks)2010FunFord Super Pro Winner @Norwalk,Oh. 2011 NHRA National HotRod Reunion Gas Eliminator Champion..2012 Ford Thunder Q-16 Heads Up Champion

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-06-2008, 07:45 PM Thread Starter

well went and looked at it, and honestly not a bad car, has a very small amount of bubbling on the top of the right front fender, one spot on the left rear fender this isn't a hole just a rust spot so in those aspects it's fairly solid. The frame is solid but does have some rust on the surface (I couldn't find any weak rusted through spots at all) BUT it has been in a wreck, hood doesn't line up with either fender and the front valance is bent. Would definitely be a good start for a nice project car for someone that wants to do the work. But the owner thinks that $5100 is too cheap but he needs to get it sold. Told him good luck with that and walked away.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-06-2008, 11:09 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

paid 2000. for my 6 cyl. 3 on the tree fairlane with 64,000 mile one the clock. mines a 66 post . i doin't know if i got lucky or screwed needed floor pans in the front and a dash pad
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-07-2008, 06:05 AM

Guy near me wanted 3K for this one

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-07-2008, 07:01 AM

Phil that guy near you has to be an Idiot for wanting $3000 for that POS thats alost not good enough to take to the Crusher! :shock:

Randy
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-07-2008, 07:54 AM

x

Rob you didn't mention your abilities or your facility to which a car could be "restored" or upgraded! I'm not an expert in this area but, I have rebuilt, upgraded or "restored" a few cars myself. This process at any level takes time, space and money! IMO, if you find a solid car to work with and the repairs are minimal, you will be far ahead of the program from the start. Those cars are easy to take apart, clean and repair. It can be a life long adventure assembling them correctly!

As to the price or value of anything, that's a decision the buyer must accept! After all, it's you (or your buddy) that wants the car! If your (or your buddy) is satisfied with the deal and the car you receive, what the hell does it matter what anyone else thinks!

One thing for sure. Almost anytime you start cleaning, digging or sanding on an older car, you find problems!

Happy auto hunting,
Dave.

Masters Degree in Perverted Idiocy.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-07-2008, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougar1969
Phil that guy near you has to be an Idiot for wanting $3000 for that POS thats alost not good enough to take to the Crusher! :shock:

Randy
I know, he got my number somehow and started calling me after the ebay auction didn't sell it. He had a used car lot and this was in the middle of the back lot. It had about 4 parts I'd want, the top structure, the 351 C, rear boot trim and..., well that was it.
Point is some guys think a car is gold and may be to them but its only worth what the market dictates or the one guy (usually me) who likes hardtops will pay.

I love my car(s) but a car with minimal rust that's been hit might make my "walk away" list even at $1500. In my case though Ive had so many Torinos I'd start looking at Maverics, falcons etc in my price range if I had 5K to spend
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-07-2008, 09:17 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)

Dave is dead on with his comments. When you start taking a "solid" car apart, it is amazing what you can find. This little project has dragged on for too long, and is taking up enough space for 2 cars. :roll:

Only 10 thousand more dollars, and it should be done. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

For comparison prices, I got 2 of these cars for 2,000 bucks. The other one is a parts car Flintstone mobile.

Where's my beer and that half inch wrench?

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u...cecar066-1.jpg
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-07-2008, 11:10 AM

Here, try this site...

http://www.jaxed.com/cgi-bin/mash.cgi

Plug in the Make/Model/year you're looking for, and everything thats available will show up...

SteveL

“This is the point in the killing spree when you really should turn the gun on yourself…”
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-07-2008, 11:12 AM Thread Starter

Re: x

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivermoreDave
Rob you didn't mention your abilities or your facility to which a car could be "restored" or upgraded! I'm not an expert in this area but, I have rebuilt, upgraded or "restored" a few cars myself. This process at any level takes time, space and money! IMO, if you find a solid car to work with and the repairs are minimal, you will be far ahead of the program from the start. Those cars are easy to take apart, clean and repair. It can be a life long adventure assembling them correctly!

As to the price or value of anything, that's a decision the buyer must accept! After all, it's you (or your buddy) that wants the car! If your (or your buddy) is satisfied with the deal and the car you receive, what the hell does it matter what anyone else thinks!

One thing for sure. Almost anytime you start cleaning, digging or sanding on an older car, you find problems!

Happy auto hunting,
Dave.
Dave I know what your saying, I bought my 67 galaxie last year for $650 and it looked pretty solid, turned out the rear floor pans were toast so had to replace those and a couple other minor deals but it's still a pretty solid if not running car. This is my project
I have the abilities, but Tracy (codrivers name) really doesn't although he does have a huge shop to keep the car in and a lot of desire to learn as well as both me and his brother with the knowledge to help him. he has wanted one of these for a long time, but really no way is he going to give atleast double what a car is worth just to get one. waited this long guess I can wait a little longer cause with the economy prices aren't going to be going up real soon. For the money this guy wants for this 6cyl car I have seen several on ebay that are already V8 cars, that look solid some even already done for less.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in