Fords response concerning recent TRS drama. - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-11-2008, 04:50 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Fords response concerning recent TRS drama.

I contacted them and this is what I got a few days later.

Quote:
Thanks for bringing this issue to our attention. Without question, Ford enthusiasts are extremely important to us. Their enthusiasm and loyalty are part of our heritage and part of what's going to keep us moving forward.

Recently, there was an item posted stating that Ford was requesting TheRangerStation.com to turn over its URL to Ford and pay $5,000. We'd like the opportunity to share some additional facts that might make a difference in how you think about this situation.

In its communications, TheRangerStation.com stated that Ford was making them change the name of their site and pay $5,000. What was not mentioned was that TheRangerStation.com was selling counterfeit Ford-brand merchandise on the site. As a company, Ford has a responsibility to protect our brand and a responsibility to our licensees. We cannot let something like that pass. (The counterfeit goods have been removed from the website since TheRangerStation.com got the letter from Ford's attorney.)

Please know that Ford takes no joy in pursuing enthusiast sites. Since there are a number of sites out there with Ford vehicles as part of their names or URLs, some people have asked if they should be concerned. Ford has been and continues to be willing to license its trademarks for use by enthusiast groups and enthusiast websites. Requesting a license is done easily by contacting [email protected]. To request a license to produce or sell branded merchandise bearing Ford's trademarks, contact [email protected].

In short, we are not asking for $5,000 and we would like them to keep the domain name. We simply encourage TheRangerStation.com to contact Ford to request a license to continue using the domain name.

We hope you will share this information with anyone who is concerned. We deeply appreciate our fansí dedication and enthusiasm and want to be able to work together with all of our supporters to tell the Ford story.

Sincerely,

Ford Motor Company
Shareholder Relations
Investor Relations Department
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-11-2008, 04:54 PM

I figured there was alot more to this deal than was mentioned in the other posts. I'm a loyal ford guy ,and if I ever buy a new vehicle ,it'll be a Ford for sure.

Dan Hobbs 2004 Super Pro Champion Windy Hollow 2002 NHRA National Dragster Challenge Super Pro Champion Beech Bend Raceway Best ET 5.290 @ 132.95 1.14 60 Ft. 575 injected alcohol 2008 & 2009 BBF Bash PRO Champion(The Guy With 2 BIG Checks)2010FunFord Super Pro Winner @Norwalk,Oh. 2011 NHRA National HotRod Reunion Gas Eliminator Champion..2012 Ford Thunder Q-16 Heads Up Champion

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-11-2008, 05:31 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)

I think the attorney's took a little too heavy handed approach to the matter though. A basic cease and desist letter would have taken care of the matter with out the 'scare' tactic of a $5000 penalty and domain name forfeiture. The scare should have been used in a follow up letter, not for initial contact IMO.

'83 Mustang GT - 552/C6 - 10.12 @ 136
'73 "F100" - EFI460/E4OD
Drag Week 2011 - 77th in Daily Driver
Drag Week 2012 - Street Race BB N/A runner-up
Drag Week 2014 - *kapooya*

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-11-2008, 06:04 PM
RJP

Lawyers always take a heavy handed approach. Playing Mr. Niceguy does not get results. But it seems there are two sides to the story and in light of the fact the offenders were allegedly selling counterfit FoMoCo parts I'm surprised they only got a letter and not a court summons. IMO the website got off light. Ford, even with their financial problems would have no problem taking the guy to court and letting them prove otherwise. Ford as well as many other manufactures such as Levi, Swatch, Rolex, Guchi[sp] etc. have to defend their label, trademark and reputation over and over again because of the counterfit junk that comes in from foreign countrys. Wasn't that many years ago Ford had to go thru all the B.S. because some foreign manufacture was counterfitting Motor-Craft parts. Boxes looked almost identical but the parts were pure junk and unwary consumers were going back to Motor-Craft retailers when these parts failed looking to make good on mfg. warranty obligations.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-11-2008, 08:08 PM

Yeah I'm really concerned that shift that has the word "Ford" on it isn't up to snuff as the factory FoMoCo shirt, or the Genuine FoMoCo parts now made in Maxico and China. Sorry but selling shirts and such doesn't count in my book. Selling "counterfeit" shirts is a far cry from counterfeit parts, and I'd hardly call putting the word Ford on a shirt or sticker counterfeiting. Oh wait, is Phil a counterfeiter for selling me a 460ford.com shirt? I'm not so sure he paid for a license from Ford for that run of shirts. Maybe he deserved Ford's wrath too?

Ford is a joke anymore, just like GM and Mopar. They have pissed me off to the point that it'll be a cold day in hell before I buy anything from them. It would take one hell of a 180 on their part to win me back as a customer. I'll stick with my old junk and aftermarket parts.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-11-2008, 11:04 PM

What I don't get is why they should have to have Ford "allow" them to use that domain name. Rangers, in one form or another were around long before the truck appeared on the scene. I think Chuck Norris should go beat the lawyers up for stealing the Texas Ranger name.

668. The neighbour of the beast.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-11-2008, 11:07 PM

The thing is ford doesn't even own the Ranger name (Ranger bass boats does)
But this was about TRS selling things like Tshirts and windowshield sun shields with the Ford logo on them without paying Ford for the rights to use those. The deal is you can NOT use the actual Ford logo without permission and definitely can not make a profit using it.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-12-2008, 11:26 AM
RJP

Quote:
Originally Posted by monsterbaby
The thing is ford doesn't even own the Ranger name (Ranger bass boats does)
But this was about TRS selling things like Tshirts and windowshield sun shields with the Ford logo on them without paying Ford for the rights to use those. The deal is you can NOT use the actual Ford logo without permission and definitely can not make a profit using it.
Thats exactly right. A good friend has a small machine shop that does exclusivly Harley-Davidson engine work. He had a very small Harley logo on his building along with the shop's name. He got a nasty letter from the Harley lawyers demanding it be removed at once or face legal action.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-12-2008, 01:48 PM

cadunkle expressed my sentiments perfectly.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-12-2008, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn M.
cadunkle expressed my sentiments perfectly.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-12-2008, 07:59 PM

Send a message via AIM to 8liter
TRS in no way, shape, or form has to request permission for use of that domain name. That is total BS!

86 Coupe
545/AOD
A429/H429/1050/BigShot
Best on motor [email protected] /[email protected] on 275's
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmPod0fGjPo
Now with E85!!!!
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-12-2008, 08:37 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to FACracr
Ford did this a couple of years ago too. Mustang racing had to change it's name to american muscle. Shelby went nuts and went after EVERYONE and sued alot of ppl. Even companies that had contracts with shelby because the company started producing parts that shelby felt were outside the scope of the original scope of the origanl contract. all about the money now adays
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in