6.0L DIESEL? - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-14-2008, 09:36 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

6.0L DIESEL?

Sooo, I have been wanting/needing a diesel for a while now. I hate to say it, but I was thinking about a 5.9L cummins Dodge. I know for sure that I will not buy a 6.4 Ford twin turbo and I will not buy a new Dodge diesel, but what about the 6.0L ford? I have heard many people tell me not to buy one, but what is the reason? If I had my choice I would take a 2002 7.3L and insert it in a 2008 F250, but it ain't gonna happen. As I sit tonight I'm lookin at a 2006 Dodge ops: , because many, MANY locals have worked the heck out of them and love them. I can't say the same for the Ford's (at least the last 5 years), and I would never buy a chebby.

Any non-biased answers out there?

Sharpen your pitchforks and light your torches... 'CHANGE' is coming!

We say grace, and we say ma'am, if you ain't into that we don't give a damn... cause a country boy can survive!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-14-2008, 09:52 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

By no means am I a 6.0 basher, in fact I love um, I'm the only one in the shop with work to do, lol. In fact here is a rundown of RO's in my box, and this does not include what will show up tommorrow.......

2 sets of 6.0 headgaskets, 1 '03 and 1 '05
2 sets of egr and oil coolers (6.0)
1 set of coolers on another 6.0putting oil in coolant
1 08 6.4 with an oil leak (butchered at another dealer)
1 '03 6.0 no start (high press pump failed)
1 06 6.0 needs 6 injectors (cust pay 8) )
front pump seal in a '01 4r100
CEL on antoher 6.0 (turbo hung up)

I got more but cant remember.........

Best thing for me was becoming a diesel tech, 08 was a record year paywise, lot of um out of warranty..... :lol:

69 Grande'
P51 headed 563
3070#'s
5.15 @ 134.89
post #3 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-14-2008, 10:06 PM

what he's trying to tell you is they are great engines but you do ( and will) need a good extended warranty

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/2158/ricksadql2.jpg
www.rickscarcare.net
Big Thanks to Chris Corey
aka TopSportsman916
[email protected] ALL MOTOR - NO KOOLAID

post #4 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-14-2008, 10:11 PM Thread Starter

anybody have a 2000 7.3L with less than 50K on it? :?

We say grace, and we say ma'am, if you ain't into that we don't give a damn... cause a country boy can survive!
post #5 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-14-2008, 10:38 PM

Send a message via MSN to powerstrokeace
I got a 99 F350 crew cab dully w/ 34k and a auto. Bully dog chip putting out 260hp to the rear wheels and 812ft torque. 4" bully dog exhaust with a flowmaster muffler.ONE OWNER

BUT its not for sale. I pull my 48ft Pace Daytona trailer and 2 car in it.

Ace :P
post #6 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-14-2008, 11:05 PM

I wouldn't be above buying the Dodge. I own a 2006 6.0, and it's been trouble free. So far. Bought it used last May, and the OASIS was pretty scary. (I got the OASIS after I bought the truck) It pretty much lived in the dealership the last few months before I got it, but they must have got it fixed, because all I've done is change oil. Or, maybe going from being a patch truck to a farm/highway truck made a difference. 2 things that really pissed me off about the truck was the CD player quit, and I found out they're all POS things that barely make it off warranty, and the speedometers are crap too. Especially if you live in a cold climate - they either won't work, or they'll read too high or low. One would think that a truck with a $61,000 price tag would have higher quality parts in it. I get around 18 mpg at 60 mph according to the computer, but I'm not sure if that's US or Canadian. I really like the SD for it's looks and rugged construction, but the engine is a nightmare to work on and has a rep for blowing head gaskets, plugging EGR's, seizing turbo's, and bad injectors. I'm sure the Dodge's have problems too, but they probably aren't any worse than the Fords.

668. The neighbour of the beast.
post #7 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-14-2008, 11:20 PM

No problems with the 6.4l here aside from the dpf cracking, but hell mileage is outstanding at 19-21 highway and 14 stop and go city, 10.5 stop and go with 8500lb boat and trailer, 15 same load highway. I think we're just going to leave the dpf alone. Although once every eon or so it will run rough or studder of sorts at a stop for about 3 secs but it's only done it 3 times in it's life and I thinks it's just going into regen. Although after driving for 6 hours straight the steering wheel shape/design does hurt my wrists, other than that it's fantastic.

its a job 1 250 crew cab short bed with a shell, auto 3.73
post #8 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-14-2008, 11:26 PM

ford super duty

Hey guys, sorry if I am high jacking this thread but since where talking about diesels I have a question about a 08 super duty with diesel power.The truck has 15,000 miles on it, at 65 to 70 mph it starts to surge. I changed the fuel filter and it didn't help. Is there anything else I can try before I bring to the dealership.
post #9 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-14-2008, 11:29 PM

Declawed, you're the first guy I've heard say good things about the 6.4

FWIW, I've got 312,000 on my 2001 7.3. It's about time to stick some new injectors in it, but other than that it runs great. It's a work truck, so it gets driven hard.

Don't be afraid of the high mileage PSDs. I bought this one with 228,000 on it almost 3 years ago...

John

87 Mustang, 514, glide, etc...
post #10 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-14-2008, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbozzelle
Declawed, you're the first guy I've heard say good things about the 6.4

FWIW, I've got 312,000 on my 2001 7.3. It's about time to stick some new injectors in it, but other than that it runs great. It's a work truck, so it gets driven hard.

Don't be afraid of the high mileage PSDs. I bought this one with 228,000 on it almost 3 years ago...
There's a few more at the dieselstop but that's another story. It's usually the guys that have problems you hear about. Kinda like the 6.0, sure their were lots that had problems, but there were also trucks that performed flawlessly. But do you hear about them?

We did managed to avoid the reverse polarity injector or whatever issue and the cracking radiator issue and ford recently did some recall with the radiator on our truck so all is good.

Never had a 6.0, but damn is the 6.4 ever quite with the windows up. Sometimes you forget your in a diesel. Even with the windows down you don't notice it until you pull up alongside another car and the bounces back at you.

The tailgate step is nice too

Now that I said all that the hand of god is going to strike the truck down :roll:
post #11 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-15-2008, 07:06 AM

I just came back from Indy with my Dad's 08 6.4. 17.9 highway empty and for a while there (before the Tenn-Tucky hills) 13.5 with 11k pounds. Runs awesome with no problems so far. About a year old but only 18k miles so far. Love em, just cant afford one myself at this point. I have to stick to my 06 F150.

Keith
post #12 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-15-2008, 07:27 AM

On the 08 be sure to go get the cooling T recall done, leaking radiatiors is a huge problem, running the truck low on coolant is not good, and worse case can destroy the engine. Also guys change the oil...........and I dont mean at the interval Ford puts in the owners manual. The 6.4 is bad about making the oil dirty fast, if I had one it would be the 3 months 3000 mile and not a mile or second longer.

aaron, your taking it to a dealer........... About the only thing a guy can do with one is make sure the tank is full, other than that dont touch it.

I'm off to the funhouse................

69 Grande'
P51 headed 563
3070#'s
5.15 @ 134.89
post #13 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-15-2008, 07:40 AM Thread Starter

I talked to 2 local guys last night who have the new Dodge diesel. Both are very unhappy with it. Multiple times in the shop and neither one has ever gotten above 17.5 mpg.

When did they have to change them for the emission stuff? I think 2004 was still a good engine for the Dodge's and 2003 for the Ford's

post #14 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-15-2008, 09:39 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to moparman
Skosler, when then went to the 6.7l cummins that was when they went with all the new emissions crap. FWIW pulling a trailer, the 6.7 gets the same mileage as the 5.9, but unloaded you can expect 2-6 mpg better with the 5.9. I really do like the 6speed auto behind the 6.7 though. Only 6.0 I had anything to do with had everything richter was talking about done to it. And then several thousand miles later another injector. All under 150k. POS IMO. Get a dodge diesel and never go back. The only major problem I had with the cummins was on a 2006, it broke both rings on the number 1 cylinder. And it would still outpull every other truck my brother owns. They would have kept running it but the blowby popped the rear main seal out and you couldn't keep oil in it (imagine that). 230K miles when I rebuilt that motor. Or if you must keep it ford, get a 12 valve cummins, and stuff it in the ford of your choice. They get even better mileage anyway. Typically they do anyway.

Bumblebee tuna...
post #15 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-15-2008, 10:31 AM

Only trouble with a Cummins is all that crap wrapped around it......... :shock: :lol:

running Oasis Lem............ 8)

69 Grande'
P51 headed 563
3070#'s
5.15 @ 134.89
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in