It's snowing, any sled heads? - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-19-2008, 12:34 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

It's snowing, any sled heads?

Well the hotrod is parked for the winter. That is O.K. as the snowmobiles come out to fill the need for speed. My present sled puts out 155 hp out of 800cc's. That's 3.2 hp per cubic inch. It has about 1hp for every 2.8 lbs of machine. Yes, these things rock.. Tres...

533 powered 1961 falcon , my car. Hot Rods and Tuners ....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-19-2008, 01:28 PM

That's what I call a rocket on tracks.

Tom Williams
Big Block 36 Ford 1 ton truck 460 5spd
1929 Ford Model A
1972 Gran Torino Sport
1987 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
2006 Ford Ranger
http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/b...emod4fun36.jpg
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-19-2008, 04:59 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Sleds

Nice looking sled and the right brand too 8)

What does that thing weigh ? What track ? My old Summit X bulkhead with Racersedge tunnel is just under 500lbs full of fuel with a 2" 159 x 16 track. The old big bore 925 triple puts out 189 hp on 91 premium. So it is similar to yours power to weight ration 2.64lb/hp. I usually run with the Summit 1000's of my buddys but have way less cash into it. Just itchin to hit Revy or Golden at X-mas break.

Later Mark L.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-19-2008, 11:12 PM

Work with a friend on a bunch of turbo 1000 cats that do 350ish horse at 15 lbs boost. These new turbo 2 strokes are stupid fast. Also just finished a 950 based on the rev xp motor that will pull 190 horse for 45 seconds plus on the dyno, it will suprise a few people this season.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-20-2008, 11:26 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Strokeguy
Work with a friend on a bunch of turbo 1000 cats that do 350ish horse at 15 lbs boost. These new turbo 2 strokes are stupid fast. Also just finished a 950 based on the rev xp motor that will pull 190 horse for 45 seconds plus on the dyno, it will suprise a few people this season.
The turbo's are just silly. The places that 300 hp will get you into where I live is a deathwish. Our tuned up lil' 163 xp's will get ito some crazy places. A big bore would be nice, but I steer more twords a reliability when I am miles into the backcountry and the only way out when broken is by helicopter $$$. Tres...

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-20-2008, 03:26 PM

ski-doo ah cmon man!! :cry: :cry: u gotta get on a yammy!! my 06 rx1 rips them up on the flats i just slowly pull away on the top end :P :P i no some guys up in saskatchewn makin over 550hp with there turboed rx1's
and boy do they scream!! you can see some videos of some wicked fast rx's on youtube

peace and happy holidays and sleddin!!

1973 f-100 shortbox, tubbed, narrowed 9-inch,
557 stroker build up coming soon. Will be my new little hotrod, time for something other than mustangs!
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-20-2008, 04:28 PM

NICE SLED!
Well, I dont know if you guys will allow a Polaris guy to join in.
A couple of years ago we were going to haul up from south of Milwaukee, Wisconsin and board a train in Sault Ste Marie, Canada and take it as far north as the train went, I cant remember the name of the town, then you unload and ride back. They called it the "end of the steel ride" or something like that. Anyway, There was no snow in a rather large area of the ride so we canceled.
We ended up leaving from my buddies garage in Waterford, WI on sleds and rode all the way to Copper Harbor, Michigan and back. 1438 miles in 4 1/2 days, all but on day done during daytime, and you know how short the days are.
When I buy a new sled, it will be either another Polaris or Ski Doo.
Ive wanted to do the ride completely around Lake Superior, but dont know if Ill ever get around to it
Anyone else do any long rides?
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-20-2008, 04:30 PM

Have you seen this product?

This is made by a friend of mine. I don't own a snowmobile but this looked pretty cool.

http://www.thesledbed.com/
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-20-2008, 05:50 PM

Nice sled. I've always thought it would be cool to get into but we don't get much snow down here in NJ. When it gets cold and the car goes away for winter I ride my dirt bike with a few buddies who have bikes and quads.

Read an article from the local paper in Maine the winter before last where a guy on a sled went off the ice on a frozen lake and went over 2 miles on water before getting back on land. Crazy, I never knew they could run on open water.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-20-2008, 11:25 PM

Too Heavy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69mach428SCJ
ski-doo ah cmon man!! :cry: :cry: u gotta get on a yammy!! my 06 rx1 rips them up on the flats i just slowly pull away on the top end :P :P i no some guys up in saskatchewn makin over 550hp with there turboed rx1's
and boy do they scream!! you can see some videos of some wicked fast rx's on youtube

peace and happy holidays and sleddin!!
The heavy yamahas had a short lived time on top but that is passed as far as mountain sledding goes when you look at the results of the fairview utah shootout last year it was 2 strokes running in the top spots and the 4 stroke coming in 3rd. The cat turbo 2 strokes are now at the top in both ashphalt and grass racing but for someone that cant make a 2 stroke run they are agreat alternative
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-21-2008, 01:04 PM

ah not around here :? ......the yammys have dominated the grass drags in minnesota(brainerd) for the last few years and yes I know there heavy but there top end power makes up for, it me and my buddys yamahas are always the first ones to the top of the mountain when we go down to cook city(montana) every december he has an 08 apex rtx

1973 f-100 shortbox, tubbed, narrowed 9-inch,
557 stroker build up coming soon. Will be my new little hotrod, time for something other than mustangs!
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-21-2008, 01:16 PM

A change is happening

Have you seen what glen hall is doing with the cat turbos, his newest unit just dynoed at 529 hp at 29 lbs boost that is awesome and weighs a lot less than the simaler 4 stroke. pretty sure he is setting all the speed and et records latley. In our neck of the woods 2 strokes with nitrous are now putting the yammis on the trailers. If you get a chance to see mountain mod 6 you will see how things were at fairview.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-21-2008, 01:39 PM Thread Starter

Here where I ride the most, (think glacier park area) a light , powerful machine is the ticket. My friends all sold their turbo yams . A favor to us as lifting the yamahas out of the 174" trench sucked. It happened a lot , stuck Yamaha= huge trench. The turbo Cat M's are the king of hill in Montana. The Skidoo XP's with a happy button will climb with an engine that flat roars. Oh and the 4 strokes are at least 150lbs heavy. Box stock mine is 434lbs with a 163"x 16 track. The older I get , a light sled is my friend. Tres...

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-21-2008, 02:14 PM

Light is best

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon8r
Here where I ride the most, (think glacier park area) a light , powerful machine is the ticket. My friends all sold their turbo yams . A favor to us as lifting the yamahas out of the 174" trench sucked. It happened a lot , stuck Yamaha= huge trench. The turbo Cat M's are the king of hill in Montana. The Skidoo XP's with a happy button will climb with an engine that flat roars. Oh and the 4 strokes are at least 150lbs heavy. Box stock mine is 434lbs with a 163"x 16 track. The older I get , a light sled is my friend. Tres...
We have sent some turbo Ms to your country a couple of brothers ride them and are very happy Yammis just not for any sort of bush work the new doo 1200 with a turbo is interesting they had a couple at the calgary sled show 162 mcxpress turboed and sitting on scales at 507 kind of enbearesing to the yamaha bunch
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-21-2008, 05:53 PM Thread Starter

The brothers you shipped the M's to could be the Whites. I work with Dustys' wife. Those two live for sleds. I am a little more balanced. The only BAD is that the 2009 sled I have is -would be my new falcon engine. The $12k I put in the sled would really freshen it up.I really did have a tough time last spring figuring out which one. Poor lil falcon is not getting any new muscle soon. That is a bummer when the snow melts Tres....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in