Sausage - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-21-2008, 01:04 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Sausage

***EDIT- I went ahead and made a batch. ***

I know it's not BBF related, but I thought I would try it anyway. I am tired of having to borrow my Dad's stuffer. ANybody have one out in the shed they want to get rid of?

thanks
stephen

Sharpen your pitchforks and light your torches... 'CHANGE' is coming!

We say grace, and we say ma'am, if you ain't into that we don't give a damn... cause a country boy can survive!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-21-2008, 05:49 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Send a message via MSN to powerstrokeace
I'll sell you my wife cheap...

Ace :P
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-21-2008, 08:22 PM Thread Starter

can she stuff sausage? j/k :lol:

I make a damn good deer sausage (dried and regular)

We say grace, and we say ma'am, if you ain't into that we don't give a damn... cause a country boy can survive!

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-22-2008, 01:12 AM
Forum Contributor

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Funny you mention, I just bought a LEM 5lber after fighting with trying to run it through a grinder when stuffing Brats. What a difference, I did 20lbs in an hour the other night, that would have taken four hours with the grinder alone.

Also, I just put the finishing touches on a homebuilt grinder. Wife's uncle had a #22 ChopRite laying around, I got a pulley for it and hooked it up to a 1hp 1725rpm motor. Built enough "gear" reduction into it using pillow blocks to get it down to 120rpm on the crank. Turned out pretty good, yet to actually grind with it, spent all day trying to find a 18" V-belt.
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-22-2008, 09:55 AM Thread Starter

My Dad has an old 6 qt enterprise and it works great.

I have a #32 grinder on a 1725 rpm motor with a 1" pulley on the motor and a 12" pulley on the grinder. That comes up to about 140 rpm. How did you get it down to 120?

post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-22-2008, 07:22 PM
Forum Contributor

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I would have liked to have found 1" pulleys, then I wouldn't have had to mess with the countershaft setup. My memory was a bit off, I'm at 130rpm, I had a few pulleys laying around from God knows where, so I did the best I could with what was available locally.

I have a 2" on the motor, to a 4" on the counter shaft. The other pulley is a 2", driving the 13" on the grinder. I was worried about belt wrap on the little 2" driving the 13" as they're a bit close to each other, but I tried to stall it last night and it's got plenty of oomph. Should work out just fine, and it's a lot better then some Taiwanese junk grinder I'd get for the same cash I have tied up in this.
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-29-2008, 10:01 AM Thread Starter

Well I borrowed my Dad's stuffer again, but we made a lot of klobasa! All together 150# of seasoned suasage. 25 pounds went to pan sausage and 125 was stuffed into hog guts (casings) and smoked. I used 75 pounds deer meat, 30 pounds domestic hog meat, and 45 pounds wild hog which I shot last Thursday night. The pan sausage is for breakfast, so I added sage. It will be vac sealed today. I started smoking the links this morning and they will be ready in a few hours. 30 of the links will stay in the smoke house until dried completely (a few days) for dried sausage. The other 85 will get about 4 hours of smoke.

here is my Dad's old 4 qt enterprise stuffer. It has made us thousands of pounds of Klobase

here is the grinder steup I just made/bought. A #32 grinder, a 1725 rpm 1/2 hp motor, a 1/2" pulley, and a 12" pulley. It worked better than I thought.

this is a pic of my wife filling the stuffer. This is an old pic from last year. notice in the pic I have my Dad's grinder. It is a #32 with a 1 hp motor and a 39:1 inline gear reducer. That setup is perfect, but I can't afford the gear reducer (~$300-$400)

here are the links hanging in my smokehouse. I threw it together last week. My old smoke house was made out of a 5' wide grain bin and it worked great, but a summer storm with high winds lifted it off the ground and flung it across the field into a big oak tree about 100 yards away. My new one is anchored down

getting the fire started for the smoke. Inside temps never get above 100 deg F. You don't want to cook it- you want to smoke it only.

you can kinda see the smoke starting to come out. I use post oak or mesquite. This time it is post oak.

post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-29-2008, 04:37 PM Thread Starter

and here it is- vacuum sealed and ready to be froze. Had to cook me up a link... It was darn good 8) No wonder I can't find time to work on my truck ops: :cry: :? :lol:

post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-29-2008, 06:14 PM

Hey guys if your looking for a grinder try some of the local grocery store actions when they go out of business you can get them for about two to three hundred bucks and you can stuff right off the grinder it will make your live a lot easier plus you can grind your own burger and sell it to your friends and pay for your machine. Best machines are Hobart's they last forever, plus they mite have stuffer also. Any questions in this area give me a shout this is what I do and am more than happy to help. Ben
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-29-2008, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skosler
and here it is- vacuum sealed and ready to be froze. Had to cook me up a link... It was darn good 8) No wonder I can't find time to work on my truck ops: :cry: :? :lol:

Doug Roope
950 Wild Wind Rd
Helena, Montana.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] '86 F150... 521 w/ FRPP SCJ Heads, Glide...
Best ET: 1/8---6.17 @ 112 mph N/A @ 1200'
6.34 @ 112 mph N/A @ 5000'
1/4---9.73 @ 136 mph N/A @ 1200'
9.97 @ 135 mph N/A @ 5000'
post #11 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-29-2008, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThndrChkn
Quote:
Originally Posted by skosler

Doug Roope
950 Wild Wind Rd
Helena, Montana.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
You're quick Dougie :lol: :lol:

What about overseas

George

You can't be the first, but you could be next!
post #12 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-29-2008, 06:51 PM

Let me now when its time to eat. Sounds like a road trip.
post #13 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-29-2008, 07:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by uf63
Hey guys if your looking for a grinder try some of the local grocery store actions when they go out of business you can get them for about two to three hundred bucks and you can stuff right off the grinder it will make your live a lot easier plus you can grind your own burger and sell it to your friends and pay for your machine. Best machines are Hobart's they last forever, plus they mite have stuffer also. Any questions in this area give me a shout this is what I do and am more than happy to help. Ben
are you saying that my bohemian meat grinder setup isn't good? What can be better... if your not paying attention you loose a finger and it adds to the sausage flavor :shock: :lol:

post #14 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-29-2008, 07:45 PM Thread Starter

let me know how to ship it and I will send you a link or two Doug. It was your expertise and advice that showed me how to reload my 25-06 that took both deer and the hog. pm me if you are serious

post #15 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-29-2008, 07:54 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in