Need help on Boss Mustang/ Kaase - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-27-2008, 06:47 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Need help on Boss Mustang/ Kaase

I've been driving the 590" Boss Mustang, but need help with the electronics. I guess we have reached the end of our talent level, and as of now I feel lost as last year's Easter egg. How can I get the tach, speedometer, electric fan, fuel gauge, etc to work? We wired the fan to a fused switch that goes directly to the battery. A 30A fuse won't run it, it takes a 40. There's the computer, smart junction box, and processors in the dash, all fighting us. Does anyone know how to make all this stuff work? I'd even bring the car to anyone who thinks they can finish it up. ... Kaase
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-27-2008, 06:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

sounds like fun Jon ---- i will talk to my tech ..... i have one of those cars in my bay and we will ck it out ....

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-27-2008, 07:12 PM

I don't know how to fix it, I do know that I had to do a lot of hardwiring when I changed an F150 from EFI to carb a few years back, including the transmission :roll: . An unfortunate amount of things depend on each other in an irritating way. You might need a computer reprogram if those gauges depend on the computer and are looking for the old ignition/fuel system.

Good Luck!

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-27-2008, 07:17 PM

Jon you are as someone else stated going to need a computor of some type to get the gauges to work, the speedo used the same VSS signal as the trans module and/or the ABS in this case. Do you still have the ABS working? and the tach used the CPS signal that was used to fire the injectors. I don't have the answer of how to get the stock stuff to work but you might look into if anyone has a gauge setup that will fit in the stock panel and look original but be mechanical or at least seperate from the ECM.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-27-2008, 08:02 PM

Jon,Your problem is the only one that has me worried w/my bb swap in my 06. I love the way my stock dash setup works.Electronics is definately not my specialty. If I find anything, I will let you know. I'm not at this stage of the game yet but,I'll be watching this thread very close. Rick

Rick Brown
(LIL TWEETY) BBF 62 Falcon Tube Chassis
Member of a BAND OF BROTHERS

Pro Motion Machining
Perfect Reflections Photography
Bronx Corner Automotive
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-27-2008, 08:09 PM

Jon, I'm sure that if you have Chuck Lawrence on the case, then you have the best there is helping you. I dont have an answer or even a guide other than to reiterate Chucks name, but if you want to bring it over for me to road test and verify that all of the above mentioned gauges don't function properly I'll be happy to oblige

ps- I look forward to ordering my parts from you in the near future.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-27-2008, 08:09 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Jon try www.fordfuelinjection.com , thay tell everything about how the computor works, and what each pin is for and what goes to it. it also tell how to rewire it.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-27-2008, 09:20 PM

might try byron.goes by ByronRACE on this site.has a website also.
http://racesystems.com/
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-27-2008, 09:46 PM

Just take it to the nearest Ford dealership..........thats all under warranty right????? lol.

Is the factory pcm still intact? What I'm getting at is how much of the factory wiring and such di you remove or leave??

69 Grande'
P51 headed 563
3070#'s
5.15 @ 134.89
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-29-2008, 10:21 PM

Jon, I talked to a guy today and he said the factory tach got its info from the coil packs on the wires :shock: If thats true it looks impossible for our factory tachs to work off MSD. All that is way above my knowledge :? Rick

Rick Brown
(LIL TWEETY) BBF 62 Falcon Tube Chassis
Member of a BAND OF BROTHERS

Pro Motion Machining
Perfect Reflections Photography
Bronx Corner Automotive
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-29-2008, 10:25 PM

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-29-2008, 10:26 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

My first thought is to contact Byron on here. Either that or find a good Ford tech somewhere that likes a challenge.

Sound slike you'll probably need a bit of custom computer work though. Maybe even a custom chip to turn off the stuff that is not there and force it into functioning without it. What about contacting the custom chip guys out there that are burning stuff on the new Stangs?

John

87 Mustang, 514, glide, etc...
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-29-2008, 10:30 PM
Forum Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by richter69
Just take it to the nearest Ford dealership..........thats all under warranty right????? lol.
That is what I was thinking, I'm sure that dealer you bought the car from would love to see that car in a service bay at his dealership. :lol:

run what ya brung and hope you brung enough
89 F150 mud drag truck
Charter member 460Ford.com "*** kissers"
BUILT 460Ford.com forum TOUGH. Assembled by me and all my friends here. It don't get no better than that.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-29-2008, 11:19 PM
kim

Ditto on the Byron conection, a plane ticket and a couple nights in a hotel, and should have all the inverters and or sensors you need to triger the computer(s) to work the dash.

Fan, not so tough, rest of the stuff... I could give ideas, but with no practicle.. BFD..

The problem with the fan is the start-up spike. Same thing we all have with the Mark VIII, Taurus, and or Mustang fans. Fan is something between 30 and 40 amp continuous draw, but start-up spike depending on model can be 50 to 65 amps... even when using the big wire slow blow auto fuse, that spike is more than they can take. Best way for a manual, and in the long run when you feed the ECT back into the ECM and run it off the computer, is to actually run the fan off of a relay, let your manual switch and such simply trip 15 amps to the relay, same as ford did... I would suggest using the Bosh 75 amp relay versus the standard store bought 45 amp ones. Byron's Mark VIII fan write up had part numbers, its searchable on the interweb. Or you can just hit Bosch... and get the part number. Its the same pin placement as the conventional 5 pin relay... just rated for higher flow.

The ECM was programed to trip the fans on at 210 and off at 185, the thing was programed to run through one circuit that had a resistor, and basically a low speed, or switch to an alternate high speed circuit when temps are above (don't know the threshold) and or when the AC is on. AC is wired direct to PCM and back to relay, bypasses the ECT circuit on the engine.

The PCM used the crank position sensor to identify tach output. Problem is it used a square wave signal to ID number 1 for the spark fireing point. That was also the 1 revolution indicator. The MSD is not equiped with a square shutter readout like the Ford distributors before the DIS system.... Figure Byron could come up with a little card that could replace that function, and allow the PCM to talk to the dash module to run the Tach. Perhaps wire to the dash module direct???
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 10:17 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to FACracr
http://www.mustang50magazine.com/fea...427/index.html

Some one beat you to this a few years ago, but they could be alot of help if you can find them

http://image.mustang50magazine.com/f...427+engine.jpg

dunno
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in