Hobart Welder Review - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 11:53 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hobart Welder Review

I hope that I don't live around this plant and I hope this guy is just joking in his review! :shock: I was looking at getting a new welder and ran across this guys review of a Hobart 110 volt welder. I would think that Federal and State regulations would be a lot stricter on this at a Nuclear Plant. Let's see he has never welded before, bought a welding book, practiced 1 week on bed frames, no X-raying of welds, all this with a 110 volt welder! :shock: :shock: :shock: I think the review is just a joke as in the last sentence he says it is a "real blast".

Quote:
Overall Rating: 5 / 5

Nuclear Ready, December 21, 2008
By loki (read all my reviews)

"When the local nuclear plant laid off most of its maintenance staff and outsourced the work, I was lucky enough to get the contract for all the welding. While I was excited at the chance to launch a new business, and the money looked good, I had never done any welding, and neither had my brother-in-law, who was to be my helper. Well, I shouldn't have worried. We bought two of these units at a nearby Northern Tools, as well as a "how to weld" book they had there. After a weekend of practicing on some old bed frames and a junk car that we had sitting in the yard, we knew we were in good shape. We've been at it for 2 years now, and this welder has been handling the welding on the 30" stainless steel cooling lines like a champ. The welds look so pretty that we don't need to waste money and time x-raying them, and saving that expense leaves a lot more money in our pockets. No wonder they had to lay off people, they were wasting a lot of money on much more expensive welders, x-ray machines, and other useless stuff. Our welds with this little gem are just as pretty looking as any welds in the plant. Thanks Northern Tools and Hobart, with this machine as our "trade secret" we plan on expanding our business and turning the nuclear industry on its' head. Using this machine in the nuclear plants is a real blast."

What is your level of technical expertise?: Professional

Was this review helpful to you? Yes No (Report Inappropriate Review)

Rick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 12:07 PM

Believe me its a Joke, You wouldn't get away with 2 Bumkins w/o certifications welding on a 30" Nuclear cooling lines with a 120v Hobart....
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 12:34 PM
RJP

Sounds like it was written by an Anti-nuclear lefty trying to scare the masses. Sorry but what he wrote just won't fly....what a fukkin' idiot. To add: No way a 110V mig welder, Hobart or anything else, can weld SS with any penetration at all. He's full of sh*t.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 12:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

He might be welding the bracket for a street sign at a nuclear plant with that Hobart.

Cooling pipes? No freaking way.

They take safety a mite seriously at nuclear plants.

Mike

IN: Staring adversity in the face while working on your car and coming out on top

OUT: Finally realizing that every $%&# thing you touch on your car turns to adversity
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 03:52 PM

I'n no anti nuke guy but you should see what our local plant let go in 2002

This is the reactor head containment lid.
Davis Besse skipped inspections for it and while it sat boric acid ate through it.

To repair it they used a head from a mothballed plant and had to cut the containment unit building open to crane it inside. It sat exposed to outdoors for more than a month while they did it.

This is pretty lefty leaning but pretty accurate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Davis-B..._Power_Station

in short:

Quote:
In March 2002, after the government had allowed a delay in safety inspections past a December 31, 2001 deadline, it was discovered that boric acid had eaten almost all the way through the 6-inch thick reactor pressure vessel head. A breach might have partially flooded the reactor's containment building with reactor coolant, and resulted in emergency safety procedures to protect from core damage. In 2005 the NRC ranked this occurrence as the tenth (excluding TMI) most likely incident to have led to a nuclear disaster in the event of a subsequent failure.[9]
The resulting corrective maintenance took two years, during which time further material problems were corrected to bring the reactor back online safely. Repairs and upgrades cost $600 million, and the Davis-Besse reactor was restarted in March 2004. Follow up action by the NRC on the March 2002 incident occurred on April 21, 2005, when the NRC issued a Notice of Violation and Proposed Imposition of Civil Penalties in the amount of $5,450,000 for multiple violations including the degradation of the reactor pressure vessel head.[10]
On January 20, 2006, the owner of Davis-Besse, FirstEnergy Corporation of Akron, Ohio, acknowledged a series of safety violations by former workers, and entered into a deferred prosecution agreement with the US Department of Justice. The deferred prosecution agreement relates to the March 2002 incident (see above). The deferment granted by the NRC were based on letters from Davis-Besse engineers stating that previous inspections were adequate. However, those inspections were not as thorough as the company suggested, and as proved by the material deficiency discovered later. In any case, because FirstEnergy cooperated with investigators on the matter, they were able to avoid more serious penalties. Therefore, the company agreed to pay fines of $23.7 million, with an additional $4.3 million to be contributed to various groups, including the National Park Service, US Fish and Wildlife Service, Habitat for Humanity, and the University of Toledo as well as to pay some costs related to the federal investigation. In addition, two former employees and one former contractor were indicted for statements made in multiple documents and one video-tape, over several years, hiding evidence that the reactor pressure vessel was being corroded by boric acid. The maximum penalty for the three is 25 years in prison. The indictment mentions that other employees also provided false information to inspectors, but does not name them.[11]
I don't believe the above for a second, and I don't think its a left wing conspiracy or anything. Its a funny review meant to illicit a yuck or two.

That said First Energy around here has no issues cutting corners where they can, safety be damned. And not just at the nuke plant.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 09:20 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I'm not sure that I type fast enough or well enough to go through all the things that are wrong with both of those postings. I worked as a pipefitter at Palo Verde Nuclear Generating Station, on both construction and during refueling outages. This was in many stages from 1976-1992. Let it suffice to say that neither of the people have ever set foot in a nuclear power plant. They don't know the processes used or even what the parts look like. These people are so full of crap it's running out of their ears.

Joe

But it's a dry heat!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-31-2008, 09:48 AM

Quoted: 186 Post(s)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJP
Sounds like it was written by an Anti-nuclear lefty trying to scare the masses. Sorry but what he wrote just won't fly....what a fukkin' idiot. To add: No way a 110V mig welder, Hobart or anything else, can weld SS with any penetration at all. He's full of sh*t.
hmmmmm, I've used my Hobart 110V to weld stainless. In fact I'm headed down to a friend's brewery to repair a fermentation tank today. Not the first time I've welded stainless for him, and none of the previous welds have failed. These are welds subjected to heating, cooling, and pressure, and they don't leak. In fact it's the manufacturer's TIG welds that I'm repairing. :roll:

Fastest street legal BBF on 460Ford.com
Fastest AFR headed BBF on 460Ford.com
Fastest street legal 2nd gen Montego GT on EARTH!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-31-2008, 04:02 PM
RJP

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarsByCarl
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJP
hmmmmm, I've used my Hobart 110V to weld stainless. In fact I'm headed down to a friend's brewery to repair a fermentation tank today. Not the first time I've welded stainless for him, and none of the previous welds have failed. These are welds subjected to heating, cooling, and pressure, and they don't leak. In fact it's the manufacturer's TIG welds that I'm repairing. :roll:
Big difference between a fermentation tank and a nuclear cooling pipes. :roll: I'm sure you have no problem welding SS with a 110 welder if you are welding thin enough material. I have used 110 welders but found that penetration is somewhat lacking on anything thicker than sheetmetal. If you wish to split hairs one can weld steel using heads of matches and silver filings. It's done in prison.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-31-2008, 04:30 PM

I am an AWS and ASME certified welder,mild steel and stainless.I can almost halfway believe this story.I dont know anything about nuclear power plants though.You would think there would be regulations in place in that industry to prevent such things.But from what ive seen in my time its not that far fetched for me to believe it....somewhat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in