Here's an engine Ive never seen before - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 09:35 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Here's an engine Ive never seen before

Guy on the old truck forum is restoring some PT type patrol boat for a museum. Pretty amazing stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Canuck
got an email from FBp today. here's what he's been up to..in His words;

I attached a few examples including a motion graphic on how a Napier Deltec T-18 Series engines work, picture a concept of two pistons heading towards each other in 6 common cylinders, with a center combustion chamber in a common engine block, off of 3 separate crankshafts spaced @ 120 degrees apart, to create a two stroke 18 cylinder "Y" Block engine

006 Vee Drives transmit power from engines to propellers thru prop' shafts. They are tucked in the front of engine bay & must be "swung out & up", but can not be "tag lined" I am guiding a Vee Drive out and it is swinging out.

007 Okay now the opposite & equal motion, it is coming swinging back at me. I evacuate the area, or else I'll be whacked by it.

011 we are replacing the engine bay hatch cover & Jim Vough is on the after deck holding a "tag Line" to prevent the cover from swinging like the Vee Drives do.

You think finding good truck parts is rough. . . .
Try finding parts for something from the same period where only 16 or 17 were ever built,
and people were trying to sink them or blow them up. . . . . . . ya know?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 09:40 AM

Very 8) . Thanks for the info, never seen one before :!:

"Perception is reality"
"Failure is not an option"
Charter member 460Ford.com "*** kissers"
2001 F150 4X4 SuperCab
2003 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic
1998 25.4 Mustang, 598 C head...done by fall, good Lord willing...

"No time to drive any of them"
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 09:54 AM

Neat Stuff, Wonder how Efficient they are?

What Kind of HP are they Rated at?

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 09:55 AM

Yeah that is different..

1990 GT, 347 / 76mm turbo setup OUT AND GONE!

New setup going in. Dove headed 545 with a plate kit to 400, progressive, Th400 etc. etc. etc.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 09:57 AM

Check-out the miniture one.....

http://www.craftsmanshipmuseum.com/Tomlinson.htm
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 11:42 AM

Darn Phil, I thought you were a young guy, you are pushing me for the crown of being a old fart. :lol: :lol: , very interesting pictures.

let it happen.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 12:43 PM

wow

I'm familiar wih other opposed piston engines like a Fairbanks, but I have never seen this engine. I'm glad I don't have to time it.

That miniature is cool too.

Kerry Clark
1968 Coupe Mustang, 466, 2388 lbs.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 01:48 PM

Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)

I think that Bruce Crower experimented with a similar configuration one time or another but his design used 4 cylinders and two crankshafts...

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic --Arthur C. Clarke

Dave McLain
McLain's Automotive
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 02:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold
Darn Phil, I thought you were a young guy, you are pushing me for the crown of being a old fart. :lol: :lol: , very interesting pictures.
That ain't me and if I knew anything about that mill I'd be running Napier-DeltecT18.com :lol:

I'm 42 so please return to your old fart status :lol: :lol: :lol:
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 10:43 PM
RJP

Looks like the concept was taken from the old Fairbanks Morse opposed piston inline that was used in railroad applications. Looks way too busy for me....
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-06-2009, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMcLain
I think that Bruce Crower experimented with a similar configuration one time or another but his design used 4 cylinders and two crankshafts...
Bruce has the parts (most) to build an 2 crankshaft opposed 2 stroke, like the German Junker ( sp) airplane engine. I think the block is 120 cu. in. with a super charger he told me it could produce 1,200 hp at 2 bar. The block is about the size of a sewing machine box.

The pistons are a alumi/copper alloy to disapate heat.

G-Code

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/a...elake3-1-1.jpg
Going fast is only half the fun....what you make go fast is the other.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 10:11 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Phil,

Can you post the site where that was from? Did the guy say where he is restoring them at?

The National D-Day Museum is here in New Orleans and I'm wondering if he is restoring that boat to put on display here. There is an old PT boat in the parking lot at the museum too.

John

87 Mustang, 514, glide, etc...
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 11:28 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbozzelle
Phil,

Can you post the site where that was from? Did the guy say where he is restoring them at?

The National D-Day Museum is here in New Orleans and I'm wondering if he is restoring that boat to put on display here. There is an old PT boat in the parking lot at the museum too.
The American PT boats, Canadians, & some of the English boats were generally powered by Packard Merlins, usually three...some of the English boats later used Sea Griffons (Rolls-Royce).

The Deltics were used in British locomotives, for the most part. The cutaway display shown above is actually in a railroad museum if memory serves me correctly.

In British naval service, they were used in the Dark class & the Hunt class, & some other things. The Hunt class is still in service, so I'd think that getting parts isn't probably that hard, unless these are some weird one-off version. Those are Deltic 9s which are basically 1/2 of the 18, but the 18s were used in minesweepers.

I think the boat above is one of the "Nasty" class boats, built in Norway & sold to other countries, including the US.

I'm also 42, but since I partly dredged this crap up out of memory I may qualify as an old fart. :shock:

Mike

IN: Staring adversity in the face while working on your car and coming out on top

OUT: Finally realizing that every $%&# thing you touch on your car turns to adversity
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 11:37 PM

Here is where the post started from.

http://fordtruk.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8513

This is what one of the guys said about working on it.

You can hear one run. They're on You Tube, just search Napier Deltic 18 cyl engines. They're still used
in Locomotives & watercraft in England & Europe too. They are a "hoot" & get revved qwickly being a 2 stroke turbo and all.

I am not sure of the torque rating, they are turbo charged and make a rated 3600 hp each @ 2150 RPM,
so we've 7200 applicable Horsepressure. The boat will run 70 knots fully loaded (ordinance, crew of 12, etc. ).
It displaces 84 tons, is 80+ ft O/A from bow stem to the transom/stearn.

We are setting our Napiers up to run via PCM or "dreaded" computerized performance control module.
We want enhanced performance & efficiency. We are into all that sort of stuff. One of our crew developed
laser guidance systems after he was discharged from service where he worked on avionics systems
& helicopters back in the day.

It's great to see all the interest in this.
We are also restoring a 1940's Grumman TBF Avenger off the bottom of Lk Michigan,
We have, display & maintain a F-14B. Our Tomcat last flew in Iraq late '03 & flew off the Kennedy in '02 flying Iraqii
no fly zone patrols there. We have a T-33 that may have been one Don Mallick flew during Little Joe Project,
Ring Chute testing on Mercury Capsules & Monkey Drops during early days of NASA o the Atlantic Range
from Wallops Is. South etc. We're also trying to get a Douglas Dauntless SBD-5 Dive Bomber for static display here.
Our Museum's was a NAVAL AIR STATION training facility from early '42-mid 46. Duntless SBD's centerpiece
to the facility which introduced Florida to 1,000s of people who would not otherwise ever come here, but
now have moved here to retire etc. etc.

Our crew is a very diverse group of fairly accomplished individuals we're actually all volunteers too.

Tom Williams
Big Block 36 Ford 1 ton truck 460 5spd
1929 Ford Model A
1972 Gran Torino Sport
1987 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
2006 Ford Ranger
http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/b...emod4fun36.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in