Laptop Computer Overheating.. - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 01:05 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)

Laptop Computer Overheating..

I have an old laptop that my sister gave to me a year or two ago when the hard drive failed. I repaired it with a good drive from another old laptop and I was up and running. It's an old Athlon machine but it runs Win XP just fine and sometimes it's handy to have a laptop.

It always had a problem which gradually had been getting worse. If you did something that made it work hard like say watching a video from Google or UTube for a long time it would shut down suddenly. The fan always was rather noisy and it would cycle from low to high back and forth but it would tend to stay mostly on high when you were using the computer.

Over the weekend my girlfriend used the machine quite a bit and it was really acting up and shutting off about every 45 minutes or so which was annoying. This got me thinking about how the machine was acting and I remembered that I had used it while working on a fuel injected engine on the dyno a few weeks earlier without any problems at all. The machine had run for hours without failure BUT it was only about 50 degrees where the machine was sitting that day!

So I took the laptop into the garage and blew it out with compressed air using a blow gun. A huge cloud of dust flew out. Now the fan is very quiet, runs slowly AND the machine has been perfectly stable since the cleaning.

I just never thought about cleaning the computer since I owned it and I couldn't see any dust or fuzz through the vents so I just assumed it was clean and dirt wasn't the cause of the problem. I had been thinking that this computer's mother board or memory was just gradually failing, I guess not. I hope this is helpful to someone else with a computer stability problem.

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic --Arthur C. Clarke

Dave McLain
McLain's Automotive
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 01:20 PM

Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

It's amazing how much dust/fur they attract, I have to take my home computer apart about every 2 MOS to clean it or the roar of the fan drives me crazy, Where does it all come from I wonder.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 02:21 PM

I clean mine out a few times a year actually.

1990 GT, 347 / 76mm turbo setup OUT AND GONE!

New setup going in. Dove headed 545 with a plate kit to 400, progressive, Th400 etc. etc. etc.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 02:50 PM

I clean mine out too. They get alot of crap in them, especially if you have pets.

68 coupe, 557+glide...
http://members.cox.net/darkknight302/68nwrear.jpg
84 Gt 'vert, 95 engine, AFR 165's, stock cam, performer with 600 holley
[email protected] in the AZ summer heat
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 07:53 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Some machines have onboard diagnostics which allow you to see the cpu temp and fan rpm. Some you can access from the OS and some you have to see from the BIOS menu. Heat build-up is one of the most common killers of computers.

Sharpen your pitchforks and light your torches... 'CHANGE' is coming!

We say grace, and we say ma'am, if you ain't into that we don't give a damn... cause a country boy can survive!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 09:07 PM

I have seen this many of times and I cleaned one laptop out that was just about to be tossed.

Keep those computers off the floor unless it's there to clean the dust bunnys up for ya.

There is also thurmal grease between the CPU and the the heatsink sometimes it would be good to clean it and apply new grease, just don't touch it with your fingers unless you clean it after.

Right now I have some systems in a location at work that are having the solder eaten right off the system boards, ya that what I want to do is go over there and fix them

Dan
1993 Mustang 514 all motor
1990 Mustang notch 460
1969 Mustang Mach1 351W
fast-machines.com
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 09:13 PM

Send a message via MSN to fordsbyjay
I had Geek Squad tell me I needed a new mother board on my sony. After almost buying a new computer I thought I better take it apart and have a look myself. The fan was totally plugged off like in your case.

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid-in-sideways, totally worn out, shouting.."holy crap.... what a ride!"
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 10:01 PM

overheating will make it act exactly as you described, blow it out every couple of months, if you do it with your shop air turn the psi down , smoking around them makes it much worse as the nicottene makes everything sticky, the fans in them can be replaced if you can find the right one as there are so many different models out these days, my employer has a problem with their compaq laptop after only 4 months, but they both smoke at it and its used 12 hours a day.

Steve

2001 Ranger mud drag racer
632 ci with C heads and 2 -1150's
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-26-2009, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Touchngo View Post
overheating will make it act exactly as you described, blow it out every couple of months, if you do it with your shop air turn the psi down , smoking around them makes it much worse as the nicottene makes everything sticky, the fans in them can be replaced if you can find the right one as there are so many different models out these days, my employer has a problem with their compaq laptop after only 4 months, but they both smoke at it and its used 12 hours a day.

Steve
I hate working on PC's that people smoke near.. I smell like old cigerettes after it just sucks.
Proof that 2nd hand smoke is bad

Dan
1993 Mustang 514 all motor
1990 Mustang notch 460
1969 Mustang Mach1 351W
fast-machines.com
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-26-2009, 10:49 AM Thread Starter

Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)

This computer is pretty darn old and again I inherited it from my sister and it was probably full of dust then! The BIOS on this machine is rather crude and it doesn't give a whole lot of information about temps etc. Really about all you can do is change the boot order and a few other things. I'd say that laptops must be a lot worse than a desktop PC just because their compact nature doesn't allow for a lot of thermal headroom. It loses a little cooling and the temperatures become a LOT hotter.

I don't smoke but I understand exactly what you're saying because I like to clean out the power amps that my band uses every year or two and they are always amazingly dirty from playing in smoky bars. An old CS800 can pick up an incredible amount of dirt rather quickly. In my bass rig I use a Crown MacroTech 1200 and it has a filter which I think is a great idea. A couple of times a year I pop it off and wash it out and the water runs nearly black for a few seconds, nasty.

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic --Arthur C. Clarke

Dave McLain
McLain's Automotive
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 02:38 PM

cooler

dave u need a laptop cooler. it sits under the laptop and has 2 - 4 fans in it and it plugs into the laptop or the wall for power. they cost 20-50 bucks on ebay. if you run a laptp longer 30 min it is a must to have. it will not cut off for overheating again. i use a targus 2 fan cooler. it pulls down not push air up. may have dust also but not likey your problem. 45 min is a long time with no cooler it will burn up you power supply.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in