Looking for advice on first semi-auto pistol - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-22-2009, 07:56 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Looking for advice on first semi-auto pistol

Well I'm going home for the first time on leave 5 days after I turn 21 on May 31st. So I want to go ahead and pick up my first semi auto pistol. Ive been around guns my whole life, but its all shot guns, deer and squirrel rifles and a few revolvers. My favorite revolver was(and is) my dads s&w 671 .44 mag six shot. Is there anything out there in a semi that carries that kinda hit? I'd like a 1911 framed pistol in .44 mag. If nothing is available who sells a good one in the $650 to $700 range in .45 acp? Thanks guys.

Nitrous is like a hot chick with STD'S you know you wanna hit it, but your afraid of the consequences.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-22-2009, 08:02 PM

Look for a Kimber carry model in .45acp. Might find a used one for that money. It will always fire. The xd springfields are a good value. A colt defender is also fine carry .45. A .44 mag semi -carry model.....unubtanium. Tres....

533 powered 1961 falcon , my car. Hot Rods and Tuners ....
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-22-2009, 08:45 PM

Get a used Desert Eagle .50AE. They're not much for concealed carry, but they do shoot the bigger rounds and are pretty well built. But yeah, I don't think anyone makes a 1911 in .44 mag

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about answers.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-22-2009, 09:47 PM

You might want to look at the Para Ordnance P 14. 13 in the mag, 1 in the pipe,...45ACP. Alloy frame, steel slide, made in Canada and USA. Weight (with 14 on board) about the same as a steel framed 1911 (with 8 on board).

Some people can break a cannon ball, in a sand box, with their bare hands.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-23-2009, 12:45 AM

This is the only magnum 1911 that comes to mind

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LAR_Grizzly_Win_Mag

but I'm pretty sure they're not made anymore so it's probably going to be priced pretty high.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-23-2009, 08:25 AM

Great suggestions on guns here, someday I want to own a Kimber Arms semi-auto.
I dont like revolvers and have only owned one S&W 357 hammer-less. If you are unsure about the gun as it is your first semi-auto you may want to go cheaper than the recommendations here with Taurus or Glock. I prefer big and slow (45ACP) but have an inexpensive Russian made 9mm that is very friendly as well. The added safety of being double action is a plus as well. I do not carry but if I did it would be a double action auto.

The only 44 magnum auto that I know of is the Desert Eagle MarkVII a bit pricey at around $1000. Gotta love those Israeli's but Eagles are quality weapons.

Dave

69 Mustang ProStreet 580 E85
9.0 @ 148

70 Torino 521
[email protected]
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-23-2009, 10:00 AM

springfeild armory makes a good 1911 in that price range. thats about what i paid for mine.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-23-2009, 10:54 AM

try and find you a 50 BMG then no one will have one bigger.... just one small catch thou you won't shoot it will kill you to pull the trigger....

My suggestion is buy something you can and will shoot comfortably.... I prefer my 9mm. I had a 45 colt and I hated it useless gun.. so much recoil and a wrist killer....I traded it for a 44 mag and it was not as bad as the 45....at least with the 44 you could shoot it farther than 25 ft without having to point it to the clouds to laub the bullet that far.....

Randy
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-23-2009, 11:08 AM

you can get a firestorm or a rock island 1911 in .45acp for around 400.00$ see if you like before you spend alot on one, seen both in pawn shops for 275.00 to 325.00. you can get a hi point .45acp or .40sw for under 250.00. american made, lifetime warrenty , i have the hi point 9mm. for 113.00$ 10 years ago and love it,shoots great and lot cheaper to shoot than my S&W 500 mag. or .44mag. find a buddy or someone who has one n try it out, look at www.auctionarms.com or www. gunbroker.com to look n see what u like n then go to town n find ya one. good luck

EATIN dodges n SH_TIN chevy`s
1963 fairlane 511 bbf in progress
1969 mustang coupe 347 stroker coming soon
1963 stepside F100 429 c6
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-23-2009, 11:12 AM

Quoted: 186 Post(s)

Garage
I recently shot my friend's 1911 Kimber .45acp. Nice gun, but to be honest I liked his .40 cal Glock 23? better. Don't know why, it just felt better.

The Kimber was more accurate at long distances. We were able to hit targets that were 75 yards out pretty consistantly, but at more realistic distances I was better with the Glock.

Bob suggested I check out the Ruger P95 9mm. I think it's a nice looking piece, I just need to find one I can shoot.

Fastest street legal BBF on 460Ford.com
Fastest AFR headed BBF on 460Ford.com
Fastest street legal 2nd gen Montego GT on EARTH!

Last edited by CarsByCarl; 05-23-2009 at 11:14 AM.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-23-2009, 11:30 AM

i had one of these for a wile. it was a very nice to shoot

S&W M&P 40
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-23-2009, 12:35 PM

My friend's cheap Smith and Wesson .40 was horribly inaccurate. The slide was loose on the rails and the barrel would wiggle with the slide, in relation to the frame. My other friend had a PX4 Beretta (for a few days in which time I learned to firmly hold a semi auto for decent accuracy) and now a Sig 220 in .45acp. Both of those guns shot TREMENDOUSLY better than the cheap S&W. Even the friend with the S&W couldn't hit $hit with it but was pretty accurate with his crappy Lorcin 9mm, and very accurate with my .357 ruger revolver. Maybe he just happened to get a dud, but it was brand spankin new when he bought it so it wasn't some cobbled or worn-out pistol. I've heard nothing but good about the Taurus pistols except some of the clips need a little tweeking to get them to feed well.

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about answers.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-23-2009, 01:11 PM

havent had to much exp. with S&W semi auto, but my 500mag is revolver and very accurate, just to damn big for plinkin. the hi point i spoke of in 9mm is also very accurate n a good gun just look funny, i also have shot the rock island 1911 .45acp and liked it alot, thinkin bout gettin one

EATIN dodges n SH_TIN chevy`s
1963 fairlane 511 bbf in progress
1969 mustang coupe 347 stroker coming soon
1963 stepside F100 429 c6
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-23-2009, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottJackson View Post
My friend's cheap Smith and Wesson .40 was horribly inaccurate. The slide was loose on the rails and the barrel would wiggle with the slide, in relation to the frame. My other friend had a PX4 Beretta (for a few days in which time I learned to firmly hold a semi auto for decent accuracy) and now a Sig 220 in .45acp. Both of those guns shot TREMENDOUSLY better than the cheap S&W. Even the friend with the S&W couldn't hit $hit with it but was pretty accurate with his crappy Lorcin 9mm, and very accurate with my .357 ruger revolver. Maybe he just happened to get a dud, but it was brand spankin new when he bought it so it wasn't some cobbled or worn-out pistol. I've heard nothing but good about the Taurus pistols except some of the clips need a little tweeking to get them to feed well.
come to think of it your right, t did feel a bit "floppy", mine shot fairly true though. this is good! thx for the laugh ThndrChkn!
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarsByCarl View Post
I recently shot my friend's 1911 Kimber .45acp. Nice gun, but to be honest I liked his .40 cal Glock 23? better. Don't know why, it just felt better.

The Kimber was more accurate at long distances. We were able to hit targets that were 75 yards out pretty consistantly, but at more realistic distances I was better with the Glock.

Bob suggested I check out the Ruger P95 9mm. I think it's a nice looking piece, I just need to find one I can shoot.

I have a P94 in 40 cal and love it, they are great guns, actually it was the 1st semi auto I ever bought. Since then we'll I have bought a few more. One of these days I will fill it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in