Progress... - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-23-2009, 08:00 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Progress...

Seems like it's taken forever, but I've gone form this...

To this...

I had some crazy notion I'd have the old engine out and the engine bay scrubbed by now. The plan was to wake up in the morning, drop new engine in and wake up the neighbors. In any event, by the end of the night I should have the engine the rest of the way complete and the trans bolted up so it'll be ready to drop in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-23-2009, 08:26 PM

lookin good. you need to clean off your bench due to fire regulations. its clealy labeled. Is that hub off of a Dana 50?

Despite what you've heard, opportunity does not knock
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-23-2009, 10:26 PM Thread Starter

Haha yeah my fire fighter buddy gave me the sign to remind me to clean my work bench. lol I guess I'm in flagrant violation. Ya that's one side of a Dana 50 sitting there. Got two complete Dana 50 sitting here waiting to go to scrap. Tried to sell 'em on Craigslist for best ofer but no one wanted 'em. Oh well. I don't want 'em either!

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-24-2009, 01:33 PM

looks good whats it goin in?

EATIN dodges n SH_TIN chevy`s
1963 fairlane 511 bbf in progress
1969 mustang coupe 347 stroker coming soon
1963 stepside F100 429 c6
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-24-2009, 02:49 PM Thread Starter

Going into my daily driver '86 F-250 Supercab. When I swapped the C6 for the ZF5 in the truck I got a cheapy clutch that didn't hold up too well between pulling my boat and the leakyrear main so now it chatters. I figure a bad clutch is as good a reason as any to build a 460 for it. This one will have a ZF5 behind it and initially a NP208 but once I find a married 205 locally I'll twin stick that and throw it in. Don't really go wheelin' anymore since my buddies got rid of their trucks but you never know.

Just painting a few brackets and such now, gonna bolt up the trans shortly and then it'll be ready to drop in. Once I got everything bolted together and I know it's ready to drop in I'll start pulling the 351.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-24-2009, 03:21 PM

Cool thats a nice looking truck

'he never hit the brakes and he was shifting gears'

Larry (SLIM)

77 F-150 BB on 38.5's
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-24-2009, 08:18 PM Thread Starter

Progress has been... Halted. Stupid me when I got my ZF5 the guy gave me the clutch/flywheel/pressure plate. Said it was practically brand new, clutch has plenty of meat and no signs of or warpage on flywheel so I was like, good enough for me. So I go to bolt it on and see the pressure plate is packed with mud. Not just dirty, freakin packed solid like no gription packed. This was about 8:00. So I figure screw it, I'll just go buy a new one. Slackers at all the parts stores closed so no dice. Figure I try to clean it out, so removed several lbs of dirt and it grips but not evenly. I feel like an idiot for not checking the clutch bits more closely, haven't looked at them in months. Been to the parts store today and yesterday too. Oh well, I'll try again in the AM. At least I'll be well rested to tackle the swap in the morning.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-24-2009, 08:35 PM

Good luck

Larry (SLIM)

77 F-150 BB on 38.5's
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-25-2009, 10:15 PM Thread Starter

Out with the old...

In with the new...

Unfortunately due to lots of wasted time chasing mostly, of all things, bolts on a holiday along with hunting for a bracket I accidentally put in the scrap pile I didn't get to fire it today. Hope to finish it tomorrow since forecast all week is rain and the ol' XT isn't ideal for riding in the rain when I gotta be presentable at work.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-25-2009, 10:41 PM

you got any 50 gearsets?
you never offered me the 50's i love them.
nice lookin 86 btw. my fav body style
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/p...0&id=660520936

thats me and my old beast in a Tuff truck comp. I won, made the front cover of the paper and got laid that night.
but it all went down hill when i had to replace some parts. thats a diesel pickup too so the front susp, balljoints, and tierods didnt survive. Oh and the drivers side TTB housing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg n660520936_1617580_7773[1].jpg (41.0 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by Diggindeeper; 05-25-2009 at 11:38 PM.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-25-2009, 11:22 PM Thread Starter

haha They're yours if you want 'em. I've broke enough TTB's in my time, that's why I did the 60 conversion.

Wicked photo! I bet it hurt a bit on the way down though. Must have been some carnage. Last time I had a truck in the air like that it was an '83 stepside F-150 and it blew one rear shock mount clean off and cracked the frame nearly in half on each side. Truck burned to the ground a few days later, guess the thing had enough of my abuse. My air time was due to a momentary loss of throttle control.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-25-2009, 11:29 PM

it wasnt as much carnage as you (or I) would have thought. it was still drivable, and i drove it for a couple of months after that then i rebuilt the whole front end anyway. Mine was not cause of lack of control..only lack of judgement..caused by liquid encouragement. The body mounts are starting to sag now.. but the truck hasnt seen many miles in the past couple of years, mostly Some towing and Dump runs. Its got just under 400,000 on it now.. its about time to start rebulding some other stuff on it.
Oh yeah what ratio gear sets you got for them?
AND how much lift is that? or is that 1 ton springs in there?

Last edited by Diggindeeper; 05-25-2009 at 11:40 PM.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-26-2009, 06:14 AM

Weel it looks like it fits okay, atleast those big trucks have all kind of space under the hood

Larry (SLIM)

77 F-150 BB on 38.5's
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 08:51 PM Thread Starter

Made more progress last night adn tonight. Amazing I always forget how time consuming all the little stuff is. Just gotta bolt up my passenger side exhaust, then rad support goes in, fix a broken wire on alt harness and it'll be ready to fire. Hoping if I keep motivated tonight I'll get it ready for cam breakin and tomorrow afternoon I can go ahead with it.

I was surprised to see the 460 driveline is several inches shorter. Figure i anything I'd have to cut the rear shaft. Front shaft is of course too long but I may have one laying around that'll fit. It'll run tomorrow but probably not go anywhere. The 460 seems like it looks a lot more at home in the truck, and more accessible all around than the 351. Headers installed easier too.

Fortunately despite a forecast of rain the weather has been dry so riding the old Yamaha to work has not been a problem. Crossing my fingers that cam breakin goes well and I can get the driveshaft situation sorted this weekend.

diggindeeper, both Dana 50's are 3.55:1, pretty common. The truck is 4" diesel lit springs in front and in rear Sky shackles with stock springs. Rides pretty nice for having a lift, though my one buddy commented last time I had the boat out that it rides nicer with the weight on back. It's a Ford though, so it was made to work. Definitely feel the difference from TTB to D60, I like that it rides like a truck now.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-30-2009, 06:45 PM Thread Starter

Broke in the cam yesterday afternoon. Seemed to go well other than a minor temp creep up to 190-195. Moved my bigfan right up against the rad and put the heat on, went back to 180-185 for rest of breakin. Looks like I just didn't get all the air out, topped it of today and temp seems steady.

Reassembled front clip, went junkyarding for a rear shaft of correct length, new u-joints, various other BS... Got back from a test drive a little while ago. Runs good, shifts beautifully. Good 40 psi at idle, 60 at speed. Didn't really get on it but I chirped the 35's at moderate throttle without meaning too. Certainly seems as though the truck has grown a pair.

Now I gotta clean out the garage (nightmare from the past week of working on the truck) and tidy up some wiring and little stuff on the truck. Hopefully get me a real exhaust tomorrow, as it's running through leaky 2.25" pipes now. Probably do 3"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in