circle track - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-24-2009, 02:44 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

circle track

anyone here run circle track? I've never been interested in it, but its starting to grow on me. Seems like suspension tuning would be just as fun as setting up a drag car haha

>The day after tomorrow is the third day of the rest of your life<
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-24-2009, 08:47 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Hi bloodhound. I have done some circle track stuff, and while it is fun, there is one very important factor to keep in mind: that some of the other folks on the track at the same time do not give a rats *** about you or your stuff. They will crash and stave on you with no mercy, and sometimes they will be doing it on purpose if you run too well or win too much. Been there, done that. I read the local papers, and watch some of the better known area racers moving from track to track from year to year, and I know it is in search of somewhere to race that is free from track politics and vendettas.
If you go try it, stay in a lower division where you won't spend so much money, and try to get to know as many of the other racers as you can, they will treat you better if they know you.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-24-2009, 09:36 PM

Never done it, got a service writer at work that cant help but wreck the car and or blow the motor up (chevy). I've been hit up about fixing his motor problem, but I cant work with junk lol.

69 Grande'
P51 headed 563
3070#'s
5.15 @ 134.89

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-24-2009, 10:29 PM

You didn't say if it was dirt or asphalt, to me dirt is the only way. Suspension and tire set up is a major factor, but you also need a strong motor. I started drag racing when I was in my teens, then switched to circle, wasted a lot of motors for awhile, I was building and tuning the engines the only way I knew how (drag racing), and I melted so many pistons I lost count.
Did circle track for about 6 years back in Iowa, Minnesota, and Nebraska. It was a lot of fun, but there was a lot of work that went with it. If someone would let me just show up and drive the car, I would do it again in a heartbeat. I started out in street stock, moved to hobby stock, then sportsman, moved up to limited late model, which we would run with the late models sometimes, only difference from between the two classes was carb and tires.
Back then, we would race 3-4 times a week, Friday night was Fairmont, Mn, Saturday, Slayton, Mn, and Sunday was Worthington, Mn. Sometimes during the week other tracks would have a special on Wednesday nights. Another nice thing about circle there seems to be a lot more tracks to go to. Other tracks we went to was Alta, Mason City, Webster City, and Des Moines, Ia. Sunset Speedway in Nebraska.
But as was mentioned by others, there is a lot of work and late nights to run 3 nights each weekend. Even if you had no body work or other damage to fix, each morning after you were at the car wash cleaning mud, the rules said that your car had to be presentable each night. I know I pissed off my neibhors more than once, working on the car till wee hours into the night getting ready for the next night. Spent a few nights sleeping on the creeper under the car too.
Here are some old pictures of the cars I had.
http://imageevent.com/rickandcindy/r...9341.buffalo_s

Rick
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-24-2009, 10:45 PM

Circle is a big investment in time. Tuning is part of what is needed. I have driven circle & roadrace , both are fun. Kind of like a drag race with a game of chicken . I have never owned a circle car, but as a part time driver, it's a huge commitment to do it full time. The contengency $$ are tight and the payouts marginal. Then there is road racing...ouch..Tres...

533 powered 1961 falcon , my car. Hot Rods and Tuners ....
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-25-2009, 01:21 AM Thread Starter

those are some good looking cars you had! I was thinking of running a bomber class just to see if I like it. yes there are 3 dirt tracks within 30 miles of home. closest strip is 50 miles away and its 1/8 mile. I know a few guys who run late models and sprints and they seem to love it. i'll have to check into the rules and regs more before I get serious with it.

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-25-2009, 01:44 AM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFord View Post
Hi bloodhound. I have done some circle track stuff, and while it is fun, there is one very important factor to keep in mind: that some of the other folks on the track at the same time do not give a rats *** about you or your stuff. They will crash and stave on you with no mercy, and sometimes they will be doing it on purpose if you run too well or win too much. Been there, done that. I read the local papers, and watch some of the better known area racers moving from track to track from year to year, and I know it is in search of somewhere to race that is free from track politics and vendettas.
If you go try it, stay in a lower division where you won't spend so much money, and try to get to know as many of the other racers as you can, they will treat you better if they know you.
This is absolutely true. I never raced circle track but I used to be there every saturday at the local track with 2 buddies who did race in the hobby stock class. My buddy matt was in the lead one night and had a guy speed up and purposely ram him directly in the side under a yellow flag. His car frame was bent and he could have been hurt really bad, thankfully he wasn't. the loser was immediately black flagged but only banned from the next 2 races. it all had to do with who knew who, but either way my buddy was out several thousand dollars when his car got hit. fistfights were not uncommon in the pits either.

my advice is that if you wanna run circle track, just be careful and watch your ***.

-Dave

1983 F-250 4x4- 472, NP435, NP205, D60/10.25", 37" bead locks
1983 Mercury Capri- 466, C6, questionably street legal
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-25-2009, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukeofdiamonds View Post
This is absolutely true. I never raced circle track but I used to be there every saturday at the local track with 2 buddies who did race in the hobby stock class. My buddy matt was in the lead one night and had a guy speed up and purposely ram him directly in the side under a yellow flag. His car frame was bent and he could have been hurt really bad, thankfully he wasn't. the loser was immediately black flagged but only banned from the next 2 races. it all had to do with who knew who, but either way my buddy was out several thousand dollars when his car got hit. fistfights were not uncommon in the pits either.

my advice is that if you wanna run circle track, just be careful and watch your ***.
Very true, rule #1 when involved in an accident, never get out of the car and remove your helmet, leave it on. Especially after removable steering wheels were invented!

Rick
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-25-2009, 01:08 PM

It only takes 1 idiot to trash a years worth of work. Here's the car my brother and I put together.
The blue car was the replacement. He ended up selling it after 2 seasons to a guy for his 16 year old son. The kid wiped it out the first time out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_1283.jpg (100.4 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1637.jpg (97.6 KB, 14 views)
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-25-2009, 01:23 PM

Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)

Circle track racing is difficult and VERY competitive. Running in a lower class where the rules are more restrictive does not reduce the competitiveness of the class and really makes it even more competitive because there's less difference between the fastest and slowest cars.

Engine packages will vary depending upon track rules some of which tend to make sense and some of which do not. Many tracks require running a 2 barrel carburetor like the Holley 4412(500cfm 1/2 of a 750). This works well to keep speeds in check while still allowing some great racing action to happen. Rpm will be pretty high and expect to see about 7200rpm on a 350ish size engine with that carburetor.

My personal preference is for asphalt over dirt. I just can't get into dirt for some reason and I like the challenge of asphalt chassis setup. Dirt is more driver dependent from what Ive seen. Setups that are not terribly close can be compensated for by the driver. If it pushes he just cranks in more rear brake and drives it in harder etc. Asphalt is not like that at all and if you're off on the setup you are not going to be fast or at least not very fast for very long...

In my opinion even with restricted induction the weight of the parts in the engine is less important on dirt than it is on asphalt where it matters a TON! A lightweight crank, rods, pistons, clutch, damper can and does make a tremendous difference in how the car will accelerate.

Gearing is extremely critical moreso than in drag racing. A customer of mine ran a 5.43, 5.37 and a 5.29 all at the same track depending upon conditions and the 5.37 worked better than the 5.43 which is hard to believe since they are not that different.

Some tracks are very fast and not well suited for beginners. One of my customers used to run at I-44 Speedway(Lebanon MO) which was a nice track that wasn't too tough on parts. Once a year he would go up to I-70 Speedway(Odessa MO) which is a VERY VERY fast track where stuff happens fast! You can bend a race car in a hurry at that place. In the modified where he normally ran a 5.37 at Lebanon he would pull a 4.44 to the same rpm at I-70.

Be prepared to do a ton of work and to spend a lot of money if you run circle track but it's also a lot of fun too.

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic --Arthur C. Clarke

Dave McLain
McLain's Automotive
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-25-2009, 01:39 PM

Dave we ran a 6.20 gear with a glide on both 1/4 and 3/8 mile high bank tracks.
The blue car had the 406 with your cam grind in it.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-25-2009, 04:14 PM Thread Starter

ive noticed there seems to be me bad blood and competition out on the dirt track... yeah even the bomber classes... i think i'll give it a try for awhile... I found some rules for my local tracks. from what ive witnessed at the tracks everyone runs a monte carlo style car... I would think a mustang II or fox with dual a-arms would be suitable but i may be wrong. its just like drag racing already.. you start out wanting to just get to the track and the next thing you know your driving a full tube chassis fox with an a-headed 557 hahaha

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-25-2009, 04:17 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)

My brother in law runs Eduro. Screw that. His cars only last a few races, and then he cuts the roof off, takes out the cage, and sticks it into another car. Too much dang work for me. I watched him race one time. On the last lap, 2 cars got tangled up,and one spun out. The other went to the opposite side of the track and stopped with all of the other cars. Mr. Spinout boy gets his car straight, floors it, and goes all the way around the track wide open and smashed into the other guy on purpose. It looked like he totaled both cars. No way in hell I would get out there with those guys. Idiots.

Where's my beer and that half inch wrench?

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u...cecar066-1.jpg
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-25-2009, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodhound51 View Post
ive noticed there seems to be me bad blood and competition out on the dirt track... yeah even the bomber classes... i think i'll give it a try for awhile... I found some rules for my local tracks. from what ive witnessed at the tracks everyone runs a monte carlo style car... I would think a mustang II or fox with dual a-arms would be suitable but i may be wrong. its just like drag racing already.. you start out wanting to just get to the track and the next thing you know your driving a full tube chassis fox with an a-headed 557 hahaha
I think a lot of the bad blood is, just like how your adrenaline gets going for a 8-9-10 second run in your drag car, now multiply that by minutes that the circle track race takes. Believe me, you really get pumped, then to be involved in a crash, you come out of the car full tilt, itís not easy to calm down and think straight right away. Itís like your not even pissed about the damage to your car, youíre pissed about be taken out of the race, then you get pissed again when you look at the damage to your car.
I have also seen many fights in the grandstands between the spectators, you get 2 or more groups of people cheering on different cars that crash together, and they start blaming the other guy for the accident, and the fight is on. Some spectatorís adrenaline gets going as much as the drivers do during the race. Not only have I seen drivers and spectators fighting, there are nights that the flagman is probably wondering if his job is worth it. I have seen spectators attack the flagman for bad calls. One night at Fairmont, Mn., I seen the flagman holding on for dear life up in the flagman perch, as many spectators were down on the ground shaking the fence and trying to throw him out of the perch. Another night they had to stop the races and have everyone in the pits come out on the front straight away and pick up beer and pop cans, some cans were full and un-opened. Included with the cans were anything the spectators had in their hands that they could throw at the flagman for a bad call. Could you imagine being hit by a full beer can hurdled at you as hard as the thrower could throw? You usually always see police officers at a circle track race, where as you hardly ever see one at a weekly drag race unless they stop by to watch.

Rick
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-26-2009, 05:22 PM

We have one dirt track here in Manitoba, and in Minnesota I the dirt track thing is very big. Around here it never gets as wild with the fights as what some of the guy's have posted here, I have only seen two fist fights in the pits, and one wasn't really because of what happened on the track. A friend of mine that I pit for has won 2 championships in a row here at our home track and in 2007 in Greenbush Minnesota as well. Here is a picture of the car, its the white and red #40
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RRCS08_CD6_18011.jpg (85.5 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by Tomas428; 05-26-2009 at 05:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in