need alittle more clearance - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-25-2009, 07:25 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Send a message via Yahoo to FACracr
need alittle more clearance

so you can see from my build thread my back tire's arn't exactly fitting, and I really want to use them.

here's a question for ya.....
can I cut the rails where the tire would contact them. Then get another set of rails from the same chassis (with an extra 4-5 in both sides) and weld them to the rails I already have? An extra 4 in of tire clearance would be really nice.
I also want to redo part of the rear suspension. The galaxie has 2 long LCA and a single offset short UCA. Then a panhard bar for a locator.
could I take and put 2 uca in a triangle (like a 5.0 but longer) to remedy this? I have an old 4 link kit sitting that could work.
cletus66 you got some frame rails?

Thanks

dunno
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-26-2009, 06:57 PM
Forum Contributor

you could cut them out to clear and build some fender flares out of fiberglass had a freind do that to a comaro to clear his
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-26-2009, 07:18 PM Thread Starter

I have to replace most of the panel anyways so I was thinking that I could do that then. I just didn't want it to look wierd if I did that.

dunno

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-26-2009, 08:34 PM

IMHO, it'll look better if you move the wheels in. I'd do a mini tub and adjust the wheel's backspace to center the tire on the tail light(when viewed from behind).

Some people can break a cannon ball, in a sand box, with their bare hands.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-26-2009, 08:35 PM
Forum Contributor

his turned out real good his was also rusted out when he finished you couldn't tell it, it is some time comsuming but worth it in the long run when you figure what you would have in it replaceing qt. panels vs fiberglass and time
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-27-2009, 03:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Stevens View Post
IMHO, it'll look better if you move the wheels in. I'd do a mini tub and adjust the wheel's backspace to center the tire on the tail light(when viewed from behind).

If I could I would
those are 16in wide tires, I can fit a stardard 325 easy but these are 390's they are sitting against the frame now (a true frame not like on a unibody).
I really prefer to move them in over widening the thing hence my question about splicing 2 frames together.

dunno
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-27-2009, 09:04 PM

Only 16 inches wide? PIKER, try 18.5.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0065.jpg (90.8 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0066.jpg (91.1 KB, 28 views)

Some people can break a cannon ball, in a sand box, with their bare hands.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 03:04 PM

Cut the frame rails, move them in. If you cut the frame in the correct spot, add a cross member to join the front half together ( side to side ). Re-use the stock rear rails. I sure you will have to cut and narrow the remaining cross members for the rear half. add gussets, bracing, Etc... Are those the M & H's you are using?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 03:40 PM Thread Starter

yes, MH drag radial 390-45-15. seems to be every bit as good as the MT's they were going to replace on my last stang. if I have to cut the frame it's almost worth a 4 link but I really don't want to go that far. There are a few local series that require "stock suspension". I think If I leave most of it intackt I can pass.
And chuck well at least mine..... but mine are........ but you don't have....... sorry no excuses yours are bigger.

dunno
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-12-2009, 01:42 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)

I just saw this thread. When I originally did my 66, I cut the framerails, and spaced them in enough to run a 10 inch wheel. I didn't put a cage in it, and you could feel the car twisting up while accelerating. The guy that did the work for me said it was a total pain in the @$$ because of all of the weird angles of the factory frame. Eventually I broke the welds while out horsing around, and that's when I bought the Alston stuff. Sorry, I don't have any framerails laying around, or I would hook you up.

Where's my beer and that half inch wrench?

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u...cecar066-1.jpg
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-12-2009, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FACracr View Post
so you can see from my build thread my back tire's arn't exactly fitting, and I really want to use them.

I also want to redo part of the rear suspension. The galaxie has 2 long LCA and a single offset short UCA. Then a panhard bar for a locator.
could I take and put 2 uca in a triangle (like a 5.0 but longer) to remedy this? I have an old 4 link kit sitting that could work.
cletus66 you got some frame rails?

Thanks
I keep looking at mine and thinking I could just build both CA out of DOM with some Heim joints, and just add another upper short arm to it. I am also going to get rid of the factory coils and go coilover but so far even with eh stock suspension it's not doing to bad (granted I don't have much for power, just a warmed over 390 but still doing 1.945 60ft on MT et streets with 8.5" tread width)

Guess I hadn't thought of doing the triangulated 4link with the short upper, just don't think there is enough room to get the upper arms to work doing that.

I debate doing that or going ladder bar (and would take opinions on either one) I can ladder bar the car without back halving it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in