Well Guys I need Opinions !! - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

View Poll Results: Semi Built 390 or Semi built 460"
390 FE 6 31.58%
D9 Block 460 13 68.42%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-29-2009, 11:49 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Well Guys I need Opinions !!

I just found out the Block is craked on my 70 F250 I have own since 74..she has 98K orginal on the clock.. Its not a Daily driver , just has been a weekend cuiser for the last few years.. My Dad (RIP) has the motor rebilt by some *** out in SoCal..and alot of my Hipo FE parts were never put back on..

Anyway with the carcked block..My Bad...the wife and I had it out an a hose broke...will in the side box I carry extra hose's cable's etc..But forgot to add more anti freeze in the mix...So i started look for another block and wanted to step up a grade or so..well my Buddy Rick Tooms came to my aid..of a free block ..i just have to drive to Tenn.. to get it.. No Problem..

Then this Guy Scudder500 has a set of Ported C4AE-G heads for sale in SoCal..for $350 so I get the change together to but them..and when I mention My Brother who has been a wrench for FedEx for 27 years..well come buy and Mag them....He backs out?? Humm..as I wanted to jump the build up somewhat...from about 300hp...I know guys some of your starters on your car make that much HP..LOL

So Now my Idea is to find a D9 block and with maybe some help from the crew here.. I can do the 390 out and keep it for later "if" ever sold.. It will likely go to my oldest nephew when i die... But anyway go the 460 route... It would just seem to me to be alot cheaper in the long run..."IF" I can handle the swap ? So i would want your guys opinions..as what all I might be in for.. and where would you make the build too.. I have had the truck on a diet for a few years..But a brick is a brick...I think , never been on the scales...But it started out at 5000lbs and out of all I have takin out of it..I think maybe 4600lbs right now..

But at 54...and not having a shop to work out of its not going to be a picnic...I believe once I finish up the half shafts on my uncles Vette..and can use that side of the shop... I'am going to be straight up guys..I dont have alot to try this...So please be kind on prices you might have...I'am not asking for a hand out..Just some Idea's as if you were in my shoes..and maybe a hand...

Thanks Guys...I appreciate any and all help and suggestion are more than welcome..This will also be a tow vehicle...If I can ever get a race car going...LOL...

~Russ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-29-2009, 12:40 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I would say if the budget is low stick with the 390, you can make it do what you need it to for less than the cost of fitting/building the 460.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-29-2009, 12:45 PM

Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)

Going to the 460 involves changing out a LOT of stuff because just about everything is different. So unless you have a nearly identical truck with a 460 that you can use to get every piece it'll be less costly to just do a good solid 390. The can run well in a pickup truck application. From my FE experience where you'll probably spend some money will be on the heads not for performance but just because they will generally need guides, valves, hardened exhaust seats and resurfacing on the chamber and exhaust sides of the heads. Then they will be better than new.

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic --Arthur C. Clarke

Dave McLain
McLain's Automotive

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-29-2009, 05:13 PM Thread Starter

Well Not having a donor truck...Lays the problem.....So i guess I'll just make the trip down to Tenn.. and get a service block from Rick Toombs, and go from there... Yeah I agree the stock FE heads suck....I'll have to do something about that... Thats one thing about Virginia when it comes to FE parts...we suck...
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-30-2009, 06:56 AM Thread Starter

Well According to the poll its almost 2 to 1 in Favor of the swap !! Very interesting...

Thanks guys for your input...
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-30-2009, 08:12 AM

Results will be biased here. I love the sound of a good FE, and I'd love to build one some day. Problem is they cost a lot of money to make power, where a 460 is relatively cheap. Of course with your setup you have to deal with the extra work and money for doing the swap. I've never done one on those trucks so I couldn't tell ya how much work of $$$ is involved.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-30-2009, 09:26 AM

If you don't mind the added expense and time of doing the swap, I'd go the 460 route... The 390 is a great engine, but in my opinion, the 460 is a better choice...

Doug...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] '86 F150... 521 w/ FRPP SCJ Heads, Glide...
Best ET: 1/8---6.17 @ 112 mph N/A @ 1200'
6.34 @ 112 mph N/A @ 5000'
1/4---9.73 @ 136 mph N/A @ 1200'
9.97 @ 135 mph N/A @ 5000'
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-31-2009, 12:33 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to moparman
The 390 is not a bad little engine. If you're worried about the heads, buy a set of Edelbrocks. You get 11/32 valves and a better flowing port. Not to mention, everything is new! Your goal of 300 hp won't be an issue. Just make sure the oiling on that block is addressed. FE's need a little help there. The passage from the oil pump to the oil filter adapter is small and needs to be enlarged.

Bumblebee tuna...
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-31-2009, 01:59 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I had a F250 1971 camper special. I did the change over in one weekend and it cost me under $300 less the 460 of course. I think the trans is still sitting at my daughters house in Mi. After the truck rusted out I kept the motor and trans. What you need is to use the tail housing from the C6 you have & re case to the 460 case, this makes it almost a bolt in. I used box tube to make the motor mount suports.
Van
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-31-2009, 05:58 AM Thread Starter

Well I have built a few FE's in my day...with good results.. and the bad block motor thats in it right now is semi modded an d has around 300 to 325hp...and going back a few year ago I have built some FE's with as much as 500hp, But that stepping on a semi stock block pretty hard.. and you have to pyt alot more cash into the 390 to get there..

Where as with the 460 bigger bore , longer stroke...and getting 500hp out of one is pretty much a no brainer...and a hell of alot cheaper than the FE... I guess I'll have to visit the L&L site and see what there swap kit goes for vs the money I'd save on some performance parts for another 390 block and performance parts for both...and see in black and white where I would stand...

Everyone who has replied brings up very valid points !!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in