Green Valley WI Pull - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-31-2009, 10:50 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Green Valley WI Pull

Green Valley WI.

OK we had a great afternoon and evening pull in Green Valley Saturday. We had Jimmy Luedtke’s Famous 007 Sled there. This sled has Two different faces depending on how Jimmy loads the weight on the sled. Today he was letting us Run with it seeing we had a track that was 375’ long. Jimmy was able to let us run but still kept us under the 300’ foot mark all day.
Now if you remember I pulled against 007 at Mackville last year and I ran a 850 gear and turned 68 to 7200 Rpm’s the log said a 650 gear would have been a better choice.
So for Super Stock I put the 650 gear in and got I line to the scale. I was 2nd puller in the class with Bruce Wagner being the 1st puller. Well Bruce had Jimmy pull the sled all the way to the left seeing the Privacy fence was casting a shadow on the track. Well as it turned out for Bruce it wasn’t pretty and he turned the first pull down to come back at the end of the class. Now earlier in the day I was playing Flagman for the stock class so I could get a feel for the track. All the stock classes and Open stock for the most part the first couple of trucks where the ones that would end up winning the class due to the track seem to go away during the classes. So when Bruce turned down his pull Jimmy decided to reset the sled and that made me the first puller in the class. Cool beans. Now providing I don’t mess up in a big way I should end up pretty good in the class I thought to myself.
Well as it turned out I had Jimmy put the sled back in the middle of the track, Seeing that’s where they where running for most of the classes and that’s where the moister was.
I got all lined up and tightened up the chain, got the Green flag and eased it out of the hole and kept feeding the throttle to ShaZam as we hit the 100 mark thing where going good ShaZam was at 5000 Rpm’s and hooking pretty good, then I gave it some more and that’s where my motor decide to go places it hasn’t seen for a while. 8000 then 8200 and even one brief instance of 8800 and we where tooling along at about 30 Mph when Jimmy put the last stage down on me and I broke the tires loose and stopped at 278.68’. It’s amazing how much **** can happen in 178’. But as I left the track I was in 1st place, I felt it was a good run and now I’ll just have to sit and watch how it holds up, So back to the trailer I go. And I hoofed it back to the track to watch the rest of the class run. Well as it turned out the 3rd truck to pull after me put 5.5’on my pull and moved me to 2nd place, Now the next truck up was my buddy Dean Wagner and you all know about our bet of who beats who more thru out the season. Well Dean had a good run and pulled it to 278.06’ it was good but not good enough to beat my 278.68’ the .62’ is an *** whooping in my book, as Dean would say. Then the next truck of Donny Skinkis moved me down to 3rd by another 1.64’ I pretty much stayed there till the last two trucks ran, Where Jack Peters got past me and then Bruce Wagner came back at the end of the class to win it all with a 296.90’ pass. So I placed 5th out of 11 trucks in Super Stock.

So off we all went to change tires for Modified class where I was the last truck in the class to pull, Just where I like to be, I can watch and see what’s going on and I know where I have to be at the end off the track. Well I left the 650 gear in the box thinking I’d loose about 1000 Rpm’s with the tire change. Well as it turned out Modified class wasn’t to be for me today. In all the hoopla of the days events I forgot to check my tire pressures in those big old dirt digging tires and as I went down the track the back of my truck started to surge and I knew I had a low tire back there. Sure enough I was stopped at 277.22’ and finished 7th for the day out of 9 trucks. When I got back to the trailer I check the tire and it had 8.5 # of air in it where I usually run 28 #, So here’s my sign Stupid.
And Dean did beat me in Mod. So where tied up still at 3 apiece .

OK this upcoming weekend we have a two day pull with pulls in Branch WI on Friday Night and Borth WI on Saturday night, so hope to see some of you’s there. If not the write up will be posted soon as I get home from the pulls.

Dan and ShaZam

www.shazampulling.com

The older I get the less I seem to know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-31-2009, 11:04 PM

Thats cool, Dan. Sounds like your getting a handle on ShaZam.

Do you have a quick change diffs in that? How can you change ratio's so fast?

Cool write up, keep 'em coming!! Maybe you can woop up on Dean some more next weekend!!.

Bill

I salute our troops. Thanks for your service.

"The Key Board Warriors"

1983 Thunderbird
Big Block Power
466 Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-31-2009, 11:12 PM Thread Starter

We run a ProFab transfer case which lets us change final ratio in about 5 minutes. 8 little 1/4" bolts hold the cover on and I have gears from 400 27.9 final to 2000 which is a 15.4 final. which with the 2000 gear in the box and turning 8000 Rpm's the truck will top out at 54 Mph.

Dan

www.shazampulling.com

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-31-2009, 11:19 PM

That sounds like a cool set-up.

Sorry for the stupid questions!! Like I said, I love watching them, I just don't know much about them

Thanks
Bill

"The Key Board Warriors"

1983 Thunderbird
Big Block Power
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-01-2009, 06:10 AM

Sounds fun, Id like to try it one time

'he never hit the brakes and he was shifting gears'

Larry (SLIM)

77 F-150 BB on 38.5's
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-01-2009, 10:27 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Good job Dan, I'm proud of ya' Keep up the good work!

I've also done heads for Jack Peters, although I think he has more than one truck, but as long as he was in a Ford, I'm proud of him also.

Charlie Evans
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-01-2009, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billandlori View Post
That sounds like a cool set-up.

Sorry for the stupid questions!! Like I said, I love watching them, I just don't know much about them

Thanks
Bill
Bill,

Here's a link to one of the manufacturers that make them to see what one looks like...

http://www.profabmachineinc.com/quickchange.html
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-01-2009, 04:57 PM Thread Starter

OK a couple of emails and a phone call and it turns out I only have one pull this weekend. Both Branch and Borth are the same night, SO I have Friday night at home to take the bride out for Supper and then I'll be heading to Borth on Saturday.

Steve thank for bring this to my attention udder wise I'd been drinking all by myself Friday night at Branch.

Dan

www.shazampulling.com

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-01-2009, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomeRide View Post
Bill,

Here's a link to one of the manufacturers that make them to see what one looks like...

http://www.profabmachineinc.com/quickchange.html
Hey thanks Tom!! That sure is a trick lookin unit. It must make the set ups a lot quicker.

Bill

"The Key Board Warriors"

1983 Thunderbird
Big Block Power
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in