Well I got laid off today too - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 08:52 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Well I got laid off today too

Well my company laid me off today I was the only IT guy there and when I got there 2 years ago the place was a mess, So I got the place running smooth and they laid me off since the can support the place off site now from Canada.... What a thanks for doing a good job.

So if anyone needs computer work just let me know I can repair laptops and desktops some programming and networking

i'm thinking of looking into repairing MSD boxes soon if I can find a bad one to check out.

Okay I feel better now

Dan

Dan
1993 Mustang 514 all motor
1990 Mustang notch 460
1969 Mustang Mach1 351W
fast-machines.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 09:03 PM

sorry to hear that
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 09:38 PM

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. It really sucks when you do end up working yourself out of a job. It happens in IT somethimes though. Been there done that.

Currently I'm at a pretty decent job I enjoy for the most part, very dedicated to get our infrastructure where it needs to be. Been there about 2 years, even got a raise my 3rd day on the job. I think I'm fairly secure since business is good and it seems like my work is appreciated. I've got things in much better shape than when I started. Unfortunately not all of us on the IT team are exactly qualified for the job, but due to workplace politics the problem never gets addressed. Due to that I spend a fair amount of time doing damage control and cleanup. Oh well, eventually the problem will resolve itself.

In any event, when I've been between jobs I've worked for several different contractors that work with Dell doing upgrades/rollouts/etc, and general consulting type stuff. It's not always work every day, the pay isn't very good, but it's work and still something you can put on your resume. Check out Monster and some of the other sites, I'm sure you can find something to hold you over for a while.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 09:43 PM

sorry man. best of luck.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 10:02 PM Thread Starter

thanks guys it's not all bad I was on call 24x7 all year and I got a bonus just a month ago

I needed to get some work done at home... kind of funny when you have the time you don't have the cash LOL

Dan
1990 Mustang notch 460
1969 Mustang Mach1 351W
fast-machines.com
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 10:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadunkle View Post
Sorry to hear about your misfortune. It really sucks when you do end up working yourself out of a job. It happens in IT somethimes though. Been there done that.

Currently I'm at a pretty decent job I enjoy for the most part, very dedicated to get our infrastructure where it needs to be. Been there about 2 years, even got a raise my 3rd day on the job. I think I'm fairly secure since business is good and it seems like my work is appreciated. I've got things in much better shape than when I started. Unfortunately not all of us on the IT team are exactly qualified for the job, but due to workplace politics the problem never gets addressed. Due to that I spend a fair amount of time doing damage control and cleanup. Oh well, eventually the problem will resolve itself.

In any event, when I've been between jobs I've worked for several different contractors that work with Dell doing upgrades/rollouts/etc, and general consulting type stuff. It's not always work every day, the pay isn't very good, but it's work and still something you can put on your resume. Check out Monster and some of the other sites, I'm sure you can find something to hold you over for a while.
I have done the Dell deal before like you said it was okay but not great.... it's funny in the IT world how some people can fake there way in a company for a long time

Dan
1990 Mustang notch 460
1969 Mustang Mach1 351W
fast-machines.com
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 10:06 PM

Sorry to hear that , this whole economy is a mess, seems almost nobody is safe.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 10:19 PM

Sorry to hear that Dan.

Our town is loosing jobs like crazy too. Fram (oil filters), Crane Plumbing (bath tubs, sinks), Standard Products (auto weatherstripping, engine mounts), Dura (park brake cables), KSR (brake shoes). Hundreds of jobs in a couple of years.

You might find you do better on your own!! The wife and I are trying that now, the trucking is pretty slow here too.

Good luck!!

Bill

I salute our troops. Thanks for your service.

"The Key Board Warriors"

1983 Thunderbird
Big Block Power
466 Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-05-2009, 04:35 AM Thread Starter

ya this place is a paper mill and they have never made any money in the 2 years I was there so something had to happen sooner or later. this place was just a big pile of stress but dam it if this happened earlyer I would drove down to the Bash

I have done other types of work so I have some stuff to fall back on. I did hight tech coatings for aircrafts before and auto work.

Dan
1990 Mustang notch 460
1969 Mustang Mach1 351W
fast-machines.com
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-05-2009, 05:02 AM

Damn that stinks Dan. You are a sharp guy It will only lead to something better for you. If you need a hand on the stang let me know I'll drive up. Mondays ae best because We are on short work weeks.....
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-05-2009, 06:08 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I feel you this is my 6th week since laid off. I am looking everyplace I can online. I try applying in person, but I can only get about 1 company out of 10 to take a resume . I hope you have better luck.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-05-2009, 07:18 AM

Soory for your bad luck, I am in construction and we have not done any thing in 3 weeks now, it seems we well work for a week and think it is getting better and all of a sudden it dies, and we do nothing for 2-3 weeks

'he never hit the brakes and he was shifting gears'

Larry (SLIM)

77 F-150 BB on 38.5's
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-05-2009, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblockdan View Post
thanks guys it's not all bad I was on call 24x7 all year and I got a bonus just a month ago

I needed to get some work done at home... kind of funny when you have the time you don't have the cash LOL
i know what you mean. i just got back to work after 8 or so weeks off. They called me back when the electrical supervisor and senior guy quit (the only 2 there) so now they called me back and i'm the BOSS..well...not really but .. in electrical i'm the guy. I wasnt to upset with the time off as i was/am renovating my house. We had some money saved but my bank account is slowly dwindling, Lucky the wife has a good job. Now that i'm back though they cut our wages big time. i'll be making somewhere around 8or 10 less per hour. Its still worth it though as i cant make that wage as a regular construction electrician.

One more thing that sucks is the beer consumption goes up too. I thought about switching to discount brands.
Luckily things didn't get that bad and i could still afford the good stuff.

Despite what you've heard, opportunity does not knock

Last edited by Diggindeeper; 06-05-2009 at 07:31 AM.
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-05-2009, 04:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I feel your pain Dan-today was my last day after 10 years also working on staff for a paper manufacturing company (in Canada). The company has tried to lay us off (no severance) so 40 of us that were given the news at the same time have gotten legal advice. It is a little disappointing, but a little exciting at the same time. I am looking forward to seeing what else is out there.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-05-2009, 05:13 PM

Rumor is that the economy is stabilizing. I think that's a bunch of BS. I'm lucky to still have a job and get OT most every week. Good Luck to all those looking for work. I can't imagine how tough is must be.

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/f...ebsightpic.jpg
1970 Cougar Eliminator
512ci
10.42 ET 133mph
All [email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in