why do YOU like ford over all else?.....whats your story?? - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 111 (permalink) Old 06-26-2009, 09:33 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

why do YOU like ford over all else?.....whats your story??

Hey folks...I really like the "what was your first BBF" post. This one is for those "true blue" ford guys who would push a ford before they drove something else. So whats your story?....why did YOU become a "ford man"?.........

As for myself, I always loved autombiles and engines when I was a little kid. I used to read entire sets of encyclopedias as a child.(I was a brainiac)......One day I came across "The Father of Ford himself"....Mr. Henry ford. I was fascinated with him as an inventor and pioneer of many things such as the assembly line, His first prototype car in 1903, and his idea of building a car for the working class, A vehicle for the "low class people who also wanted durability and dependability. After that I had my mind made up that one day I too would own a Ford for those reasons and would be proud to stand behind a product of such a class act as Mr. Henry Ford. So to me, theres nothing better than that blue oval or shiny ford script I've came to love. .....I love my fords!...I can honestly say i've never owned anything else ever......just a ford. Now my wife hates that i'm so biased and everytime something goes wrong with someone else's chevy.....I simply tell her "its because its a chevy baby!"

73' mustang coupe 514/C6
66' mustang coupe
69 GTO/clone
49' Hudson supersix/390FE Ford
proud member keyboard warriors
and the Southern group
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 111 (permalink) Old 06-26-2009, 09:36 PM

Quoted: 106 Post(s)

I don't ... if it's an engine, I like it.

www.rmcompetition.com

R.M. Competition - The finest Custom Engine Building for any venue ... !
Selling Parts and Supplies from companies I use ... 1(586)909-1591

CUSTOM ground camshafts
Carburetor modifications for specific applications
CNC porting
post #3 of 111 (permalink) Old 06-26-2009, 09:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmcomprandy View Post
I don't ... if it's an engine, I like it.
thats why it says for those of you who are true blue

But I agree, I love engines also!......The physics part is what I like!

73' mustang coupe 514/C6
66' mustang coupe
69 GTO/clone
and the Southern group

post #4 of 111 (permalink) Old 06-26-2009, 10:15 PM

I like 'em cause the Bishes around here love them Stangs....

Especially the fast ones...

Travellin' through time...
5.66 @ 124
8.91 @ 151
557-A429's-Glide-4.10's
post #5 of 111 (permalink) Old 06-26-2009, 10:24 PM

Thumbs down

Chevy sucks.

69 Grande'
P51 headed 563
3070#'s
5.15 @ 134.89
post #6 of 111 (permalink) Old 06-26-2009, 10:30 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to moparman
I like fords because they make me so much money! Someone's gotta fix 'em around here! lol, kidding kidding...

I'm not partial, I just owned mopars since before I became, not partial. And it costs too much to buy new crap...

I'd love to have an old '50s Merc with a BBF in it. That'd be sweet

Bumblebee tuna...
post #7 of 111 (permalink) Old 06-26-2009, 11:05 PM
Forum Contributor

My reason pure and simple, I LIKE TO WIN. The BBF platform is the best there is for mud drags and truck pulling. We have the best blocks and the best iron heads hands down. To top it all off even though many consider the TTB front axles to be inferior for anything, they are surprisingly stout and work quite remarkably in mud drag situations.

run what ya brung and hope you brung enough
89 F150 mud drag truck
Charter member 460Ford.com "*** kissers"
BUILT 460Ford.com forum TOUGH. Assembled by me and all my friends here. It don't get no better than that.
post #8 of 111 (permalink) Old 06-26-2009, 11:11 PM

For me, it was because my dad is an independant mechanic. I grew up in his shop and in my early teen years, the '88 up chevy trucks were coming out. There were literally 10 chevies to 1 ford out there. Made up my mind then that I would drive fords. I don't hate chevies, they made it easy for my dad to support us growing up! Chris
post #9 of 111 (permalink) Old 06-27-2009, 01:02 AM
RJP

I became a Ford guy because the 1st car I remember as a very young kid [4 or 5 y/o] was our family's 52 Ford 2 dr Ranchwagon. That 110 hp flathead V8 pulled a travel trailer that housed a family of 5 all over the west coast before there were interstates. Back in the days when traveling was a real adventure. We even had the "Desert" canvas water bag on the front of the Ford as every once in a while the flathead needed a drink after pulling that trailer up a long grade on a warm day. The only breakdown that 'ol Ford ever had was a U-joint went south on US 99-W [Now I-5] somewhere around Red Bluff on a hot summer nite. That Ford took us from California thru Oregon, Washington into Canada and down to Arizona and into Mexico pulling that travel trailer on various family vacations.
post #10 of 111 (permalink) Old 06-27-2009, 01:17 AM Thread Starter

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJP View Post
I became a Ford guy because the 1st car I remember as a very young kid [4 or 5 y/o] was our family's 52 Ford 2 dr Ranchwagon. That 110 hp flathead V8 pulled a travel trailer that housed a family of 5 all over the west coast before there were interstates. Back in the days when traveling was a real adventure. We even had the "Desert" canvas water bag on the front of the Ford as every once in a while the flathead needed a drink after pulling that trailer up a long grade on a warm day. The only breakdown that 'ol Ford ever had was a U-joint went south on US 99-W [Now I-5] somewhere around Red Bluff on a hot summer nite. That Ford took us from California thru Oregon, Washington into Canada and down to Arizona and into Mexico pulling that travel trailer on various family vacations.

Now thats a good Ford story! Cheers!

73' mustang coupe 514/C6
66' mustang coupe
69 GTO/clone
and the Southern group
post #11 of 111 (permalink) Old 06-27-2009, 04:20 AM

I Love Fords because my first REAL LICENSED car was a 65 Mustang 289/225 4 speed. My buddy and his brother had a 58 Ford Race Car w/332 4 speed that they ran in S/S at the Local track. They did'nt have much luck winning because of good parts. So they had to cheat a little w/other FE parts available. So I also had to have me a 57/58 Ford. So I got a good job and bought me a 57 300/custom and they helped me put together a 427 LR for the street.WOW would that thing run in 1973. The rest is ANCIENT history

Rick Brown
(LIL TWEETY) BBF 62 Falcon Tube Chassis
Member of a BAND OF BROTHERS

Pro Motion Machining
Perfect Reflections Photography
Bronx Corner Automotive
post #12 of 111 (permalink) Old 06-27-2009, 06:50 AM

Because I am a man and there is no such thing as a chevy man there all little boys with ther bowties

Well growing up the only thing both parents and family members drove were fords and when i turned 16 I bought an 88 ranger, and then a 88 F-150 and so on, actually the Mudtruck I have now is the same 77 Ford F-150 that my parents brought me home form the hospital in

'he never hit the brakes and he was shifting gears'

Larry (SLIM)

77 F-150 BB on 38.5's
post #13 of 111 (permalink) Old 06-27-2009, 06:51 AM

Cool thread!

I guess I'm with Smasher on this, I was inspired by the Henry Ford story. In grade school I did a project on Mr Ford and I wrote to Ford of Canada for info, I didn't really expect much if anything back, just anaother kid annoying them!! They sent me a huge package with cool 8.5X11 pics of the early cars and everything!!

My dad has owned a bunch of Fords too. When I was about 10, he bought a 74 Thunderbird for parts and I got to tear it apart. I sure learned alot that year!! He isn't a hard core gear head but he knew I was so he just let me go on it!!

I've always loved the Ford style, and they are not what you see on every corner. Just like to be different.

The big block power is something I've always loved, that kick in the a$$ from all that torque is great!!

Bill

I salute our troops. Thanks for your service.

"The Key Board Warriors"

1983 Thunderbird
Big Block Power
466 Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake

Last edited by billandlori; 06-27-2009 at 06:53 AM. Reason: added info
post #14 of 111 (permalink) Old 06-27-2009, 08:34 AM

When I was a little kid, my dad always drove Fords. But a lot of years went by before I found out why. After WWII, (Dad flew a P-51) Dad went to work for Alcoa. They were heavy into R & D, developing new alloys for engine parts for military aircraft, as the pistons of the day weren't all that good at tolerating high levels of boost in the turbocharged Allisons, Merlins, Grifons and such. As Dad used to say, "When the fan quits turning, you can't just get out and walk home." Anyway, all the major automakers had stuff being developed there, too. The engines were Fords, Cadillacs, Packards, Studes, Chevies, etc.

Their methods were crude, as Dad told it, but they would assemble these engines with the latest parts, fire them up and run them under load with the throttles open...and wait for them to come apart. He said that it appeared to him that the Fords generally stayed together longer than the others, and he started buying Fords for that reason. His youngest brother (Uncle Jack) went to work for Ford in the late fifites, eventually supervising development of emissions systems before he retired. He lived in the Detroit area but he spent lots of winters in Florida, flogging new iron at the Naples proving grounds What a cool job!

Anyway, since those guys were my heroes, I naturally followed suit. I guess my love of Fords is sort of like diahhrea.......It runs in my genes (jeans).

The older I get, the smarter Dad was.
post #15 of 111 (permalink) Old 06-27-2009, 08:59 AM

I grew up with my grandparents, and my grandfather was a big believer in Ford. He owned a lot of non Ford "cars", but when it came to work vehicles, or any truck, it was nothing but Ford for him.

In the early 60's, my dad was kicking azz in the quarter with a 390 Galaxy that at that time was hopped up. My grandfather had a '62 406 and out on a back road would kick my dads butt with his daily driver.

In my early days, after graduating high school I was in charge of the maintenance on a fleet of oil field trucks. I can assure you, the few GM vehicles we had could not stand up to the beating that the f-150s did.

All of the people I hang with run Chebbies, and they are always on me about swapping. The only thing that would even make me consider it, is the lack of of tooling and knowledge on high performance machining for BBF's in our area. Its a PITA shipping stuff around just to find someone that is comfortable doing all necessary operations to assemble a reliable bracket motor.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in