New laws in effect in Ohio - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-01-2009, 07:28 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

New laws in effect in Ohio

Some new laws are in effect in Ohio starting today.
1.Truckers are allowed to drive 65 mph. same as cars where its allowed.
2.If its raining your headlights must be on
3. if your wipers are on your headlights must be on
4.when approaching a tow truck at the side of the road, you must change to far lane
Possibly more I haven't heard about.

Rick Brown
(LIL TWEETY) BBF 62 Falcon Tube Chassis
Member of a BAND OF BROTHERS

Pro Motion Machining
Perfect Reflections Photography
Bronx Corner Automotive
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-01-2009, 07:45 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

All of them sound reasonable except for the Semi's running the same speed as everyone else. IMO,.....they need to run at least 5mph (really needs to be 10) slower than everybody else on the road.

I can't stand riding beside one of those large trucks on the interstate. I worry about a tire blowing out & schrapnel (sp) flying through my window and killing me. Not to mention, the stopping distance is greatly reduced when they allow them to increase their speed.
There will be a lot more accidents/fatalities with that law in effect,......I gaurantee it.

I always get away from those big trucks if at all possible. Whether I have to break the speed limit or not. My life is worth more than a measly traffic citation.

Keith Blackburn

93 Pro-Street Lightning
598" of Jet-Boat Bob Power
5.89/9.33
http://www.nloc.net/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=717
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-01-2009, 07:53 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

x2 on the tire blowing, I got hit by a small piece one time, but fortunately was a passenger and not the driver. Even a small piece left a welt! I wonder how fast they will drive now, most did ~70 on the highway already.

Glad I have daytime running lights.

Ohio sucks.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-01-2009, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBFmavrick View Post
Some new laws are in effect in Ohio starting today.
1.Truckers are allowed to drive 65 mph. same as cars where its allowed.
2.If its raining your headlights must be on
3. if your wipers are on your headlights must be on
4.when approaching a tow truck at the side of the road, you must change to far lane
Possibly more I haven't heard about.
And your point is ????
Neil
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-01-2009, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpierce55 View Post
x2 on the tire blowing, I got hit by a small piece one time, but fortunately was a passenger and not the driver. Even a small piece left a welt! I wonder how fast they will drive now, most did ~70 on the highway already.

Glad I have daytime running lights.

Ohio sucks.
that does suck!......I ride a dyna low rider religiously!...year round. I was behind a semi once coming from Port Arthur tx. back to la. when the truck ran over an entire front airdam off a rice burner...when It came out from under the truck all I could do is grit my teeth and say oh sh*t!!......I caught it in the middle and it folded around my bike beating and slapping the crap out of me before it slid up and over the windshield of my bike. That windshield stays there permanently now!

73' mustang coupe 514/C6
66' mustang coupe
69 GTO/clone
49' Hudson supersix/390FE Ford
proud member keyboard warriors
and the Southern group
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-01-2009, 11:38 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Leigh Racing View Post
And your point is ????
Neil
Do I have to have a point? I was just saying there was some new rules in Ohio starting today, Good/bad.

Rick Brown
(LIL TWEETY) BBF 62 Falcon Tube Chassis
Member of a BAND OF BROTHERS

Pro Motion Machining
Perfect Reflections Photography
Bronx Corner Automotive
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-01-2009, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBFmavrick View Post
Do I have to have a point? I was just saying there was some new rules in Ohio starting today, Good/bad.
I knew what you ment Rick it was for the people that live or drive through there, so that they would know the laws, and thanks I dont live there but it is nice to know that there are people out there that acctually care about others rather than only there self

'he never hit the brakes and he was shifting gears'

Larry (SLIM)

77 F-150 BB on 38.5's
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-01-2009, 11:58 AM

Not to get defensive, but the truck drivers are the profesionals on the road, I drove for 6 years and never had a tire blow once. Maybe it was luck, maybe it was my pretrip inspections.

I always felt that having a large diff in speed between the trucks and cars caused a lot of issues when the trucks have to step out to get around a cop or broke down car on the side of the road. I always figured it was better to slow down the fast lane as I drove the speed limit than to scare the sh*t out of someone on the side of the road.

I always drove the speed limit in all the states, there isn't enough money in it to be paying speeding tickets.

Ohio was never a place to speed through, the "polar bears" are merciless to truck drivers.

Just my .02

Bill

I salute our troops. Thanks for your service.

"The Key Board Warriors"

1983 Thunderbird
Big Block Power
466 Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-01-2009, 12:03 PM

That is true what bill said truck drivers have to have physicals and take severial other test to be able to drive, they have so many limits and every thing else, and from working in construction and I know my loads were no where near what theres are, but I know that there is as good of a chance to have a blow out at low speeds as it is in highspeeds

'he never hit the brakes and he was shifting gears'

Larry (SLIM)

77 F-150 BB on 38.5's
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-01-2009, 12:19 PM

1,2,3, are laws in NY for some time , 4 don't know but is a good one. always try to get in the left lane if any car/truck is pulled over. 65 for the trucks is not a big deal
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-01-2009, 12:31 PM

In CA, the trucks & anyone towing a trailer are restricted to 55, cars to 65, sometimes 70. When you are on a freeway & a truck wants to pass another truck at a differential speed of 2 MPH or so, it backs the cars up for miles, then the left lane lemmings never move over & those of us wanting to do 75 or so are bottled up... Driving interstate, I loved the trucks going 75. Kept everything flowing nicely.

John Strube
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-01-2009, 01:04 PM

I thought it was real funny when I went through TX for the first time. The speed limit was 65 daytime, 55 night time, and 45 for mobile homes!!

Bill

I salute our troops. Thanks for your service.

"The Key Board Warriors"

1983 Thunderbird
Big Block Power
466 Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-01-2009, 01:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by billandlori View Post
I thought it was real funny when I went through TX for the first time. The speed limit was 65 daytime, 55 night time, and 45 for mobile homes!!

Bill
and every one goes 80 day, night, rain, fog. The fdrive faster near and in towns - slower between towns
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-01-2009, 01:33 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by billandlori View Post
Not to get defensive, but the truck drivers are the profesionals on the road, I drove for 6 years and never had a tire blow once. Maybe it was luck, maybe it was my pretrip inspections.

Ohio was never a place to speed through, the "polar bears" are merciless to truck drivers.

Just my .02

Bill
Not to start a fight, but that is you and not all the truck drivers. It was probably more your responsibility of doing "pre-trip" inspections. If you made the drive I did everyday (until getting laid off) you might see why the "polar bears" are merciless in Ohio.

1. Fedex double pup drivers going from 75 to 275 come off the exit at 70-75, even when it was a 2 lane construction site with a 50mph limit.

2. I watched a truck driver leave one of my former workplaces knowingly overload his truck and so bad that one wheel would not turn. Seen him flipped over later that day on the way home.

3. When I worked in receiving I can't tell you how many drivers came in drunk/high. We had to kick one trucking company out from some of their issues.

4. We have a large "pay per load" gravel quarry out this way, and those guys have one priority, they don't give a crap what gets in there way. Rick knows what one I refer to if I am a betting man.

You might be a responsible truck driver but it concerns me knowing how some of these guys drive already, just how much more I have to put my life at risk to get to work. I have been driven off the road by semi's on the highway about 3 times in the past year.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-01-2009, 04:07 PM

dang! I hope #3 isn't a law here in Iowa. I NEVER turn on my headlights when I squirt the windshield with washer fluid to wipe off the dust, pollen, and/or bug guts. I mean, if it's a bright sunny day, what's it matter? Does it just apply to front wipers or also to rear window wipers? I usually do the wipe/wash thing after driving on a rock road in my Explorer. Going to be tough to remember to turn on the headlights first. And when I wipe off the windshield after getting out of the car wash, same thing, if it's daytime and good weather I don't turn on the headlights. Guess that's just the inherent rebel in me.

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about answers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in