stupid move - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-02-2009, 08:41 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

stupid move

wow am i glad i live in the quiet suburbia (i guess) neighborhood i live in. I went to go feed my morning fix for a tim hortons coffee. Grab my set keys for the wifes great lease, the dakota, (sigh) I cant find the keys.. so i find the wifes set (about a 10 pound cluster-fu*k of keychains and misc keys no one knows the use for) proceed to it. I've got my greenlee job box FULL of my tools and misc. stuff i brought home since my last day of work on sunday. I proceed to unlock the door..its already unlocked...oops i said.. i let my coffee pal, the dog, in the passenger side i see my set of keys still in the ignition....holy shi* i said that was stupid.. then i go over to my side get in and realize my set for the grocery getter car (which contains the mail keys) is sitting in the cup holder. i havnt drivin the dakota since sunday. I cant believe i got away with such a stupid mistake. growing up where i did has made this behavior natural for me. I usually dont make that mistake but i have one other time but instead of car keys in the cup holder i left my wallet. I'm just dumbfounded that A) i did that and B) the dakota, the grocery getter, and all my tools didn't all disappear. I guess its nice that there are some honest people in the world, that said i dont think i'll try to tempt fate too often.

Brent.

Despite what you've heard, opportunity does not knock

Last edited by Diggindeeper; 07-02-2009 at 08:44 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-02-2009, 08:46 AM

Good 'hood, or their skeerd your gonna come after them!!

Glad nothing went missing, our son has had the valve stem caps stolen off his car three times this summer.

Bill

I salute our troops. Thanks for your service.

"The Key Board Warriors"

1983 Thunderbird
Big Block Power
466 Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-02-2009, 08:50 AM Thread Starter

they see my blue and grey 91 F250 there all covered in mud parked out front and know a redneck and a gun live there.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-02-2009, 09:01 AM

You better knock on some serious wood!
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-02-2009, 09:04 AM

Here in Montana, we don't see that alot... But it does happen... Back in the 90's, my dad had his body shop in town... He never ever took the keys out of the ignition, even if we weren't there for the weekend or longer... One day he goes into town to get his dad's old '72 ish Ford truck and guess what, it's gone... The shop was right next to the train tracks and we figured a transient or a few of such got tired of walking and took dad's truck on their next voyage...

The funny part is, we were always after my dad because he would never leave gas in anything, including the truck... Well, we found his truck about 5 miles from the shop on the side of the road "out of gas"... I'll bet whoever took it was a little miffed... 1) Because they still ended up walking... 2) The truck had dual tanks on it, and they were both empty... Word must have gotten around, because he still left the keys in his vehicles, but nothing ever came up missing again...

Doug...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] '86 F150... 521 w/ FRPP SCJ Heads, Glide...
Best ET: 1/8---6.17 @ 112 mph N/A @ 1200'
6.34 @ 112 mph N/A @ 5000'
1/4---9.73 @ 136 mph N/A @ 1200'
9.97 @ 135 mph N/A @ 5000'
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-02-2009, 09:09 AM

Hold on here ...You mean your not suppose to be able to leave your keys in the car or truck along with personal effects with the door unlocked, and expect them to be there when you come back to your vehicle.
I must live in a great place then, All my life I've had been able to leave my keys in the vehicle with the doors unlock, and it's always been there when I went to it.

Dan

www.shazampulling.com

The older I get the less I seem to know.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-02-2009, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUKPULR View Post
Hold on here ...You mean your not suppose to be able to leave your keys in the car or truck along with personal effects with the door unlocked, and expect them to be there when you come back to your vehicle.
I must live in a great place then, All my life I've had been able to leave my keys in the vehicle with the doors unlock, and it's always been there when I went to it.

Dan
I grew up ilke that too. Our farm house never even had a lock on the door to lock, the tractors all had the keys in em and so did the cars.

One neighbor's drive shed caught fire and he had all his vehicles in and around it with the keys on his key ring, he was in town. All the neighbors came to help but they had to just sit and watch the tractors and pick ups burn, they couldn't move them

The only theft I remember was the guy across the road had his car stolen, but they left him a small dump truck!! But it was hot too. They did get the car back though.

I miss those days......

Bill

I salute our troops. Thanks for your service.

"The Key Board Warriors"

1983 Thunderbird
Big Block Power
466 Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-02-2009, 09:22 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUKPULR View Post

Dan
I think i SHOULD be able to but i just dont have the trust anymore. I have had stuff stolen from me in the past where i used to live when i was in my early 20's they stole my sony playstation2, my ipod, and my empty beer bottles (from my house, ipod from the car) i never ever locked my doors or took my keys out of the ignition b4 that.
grew up that way, someone might be in an emergency and need your phone or your wheels.

Last edited by Diggindeeper; 07-02-2009 at 09:24 AM.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-02-2009, 09:29 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I grew up in Houston TX and moved about 1-hr out of town to a rural area. I asked my neighbor if there was a locksmith nearby to re key the locks after the house was built. He looked kinda dumbfounded anyone would want to to that. The nearest big town has 5200 people and not one full-time locksmith. There is one guy who does it part time.

I'm also about the only guy around who even has a drive gate on his property

Different way of life.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-02-2009, 11:23 AM

Man it must suck having to lock all your doors in the vehicals, I never lock mine and Always leave the house unlocked but I live next to some good nieghbor that watch out for me, and I all my vehicals have the keys in the ignition, with house keys on the key chain

'he never hit the brakes and he was shifting gears'

Larry (SLIM)

77 F-150 BB on 38.5's
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-02-2009, 01:13 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)

we never lock and thing up there and the guy's right about keys in the equipment and vehical's in the shop , I've never pulled the key's in a tractor or combine in my life and all the trucks on the farm the keys are hanging in the igntion and as far as locking the house or the shops never have the only thing that gets locked is the fuel tanks, locks only keep honest people honest the crooks aren't stopped by a lock !
Frank
sunny southern Alberta!!
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-02-2009, 03:46 PM

I forgot to lock the wifes car one night and the next morning she went to get in and the console and glovebox had been dumped. Then last Sat. a friend of mine who runs a small hunting and fishing shop was robbed by 4 kids 12-14yrs old and shot. No ins. on himself just on his wife and kids. Now I'm really thinking on getting my concealed weapon permit.

Bleedin Ford Blue! "For what shall it profit a man to gain the whole world yet forfeit his soul."
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-04-2009, 11:15 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to 70bbftorino
ever see that show "bait car"? hah. they musta thought it was a sting or something. not that it deters the morons on that show ever......... i think it was on TLC, court tv, or discovery.......should be on comedy central watching those thiefs trapped in the car when it gets shut down via satelite and cannot unlock from the inside. funny ****.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-04-2009, 11:55 AM

Had to change my way of thinking when I moved to town 10yrs ago, although I probably could still get away with leaving me keys in my car since it's a small town (4200 people) but I did have a bunch of tools etc stolen from my falling down garage. But funny thing when I mentioned it to the renter across the street (known lowlife part time druggie) that if I ever find out who I own a 9mm and I never miss. His comment was "you will go to jail" my response??? " yeah but the thief wil still be dead" my tools mysteriously reappeared 2 days later LOL

Oh and when I was selling the farm and equipment, I sold what had been my work truck a 1ton GMC the guy that bought it went to pull the keys out of the ignition and found out that you couldn't evn get them out, I ddn't realize that
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-05-2009, 10:22 PM

I had my truck gone through 20 feet from where I was getting coffee in the morning with 25 people not 10 feet away! we caught the meth head on camera. Cops got him 2 days later doing the same thing at another station! I Lock everything
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in