Tree removal - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-06-2009, 11:08 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Send a message via AIM to OldRedFord
Tree removal

We have 2 trees in our yard that need to come down. Possibly a 3rd. All the trees are pines...pushing 30 feet tall.

The optional tree is about 3 feet across at the ground. Big ol sucker. Kind of close to the house too.

Anywho...

The tree that first needs to come down is about 2 feet away from our tool shed and has a lean towards the shed and neighbors porch. The top fell out of it last winter. My dad talked to one of the neighbors and supposedly me and the neighbor are now volunteered for this job It seems to me that the best way to take this tree down would be to cut the top half out of it and then the bottom half, with ideally both haves landing mostly in the yard and not in the pond. Followed by dragging the sections completely out of the water with my trusty Ranger. Climbing it seems really iffy seeing how the very top fell out of it. Makes me wonder how sound the rest of the tree is and I really think that its a matter of time before the rest of it falls. I fear it will be sooner then later.

The other tree is pretty much in the middle of the back yard. Another 30 footer. The base of the tree is showing signs of rot. Almost looks like termites are eating it. This one leans a few different ways as you follow the trunk so who knows where it wants to go.

Neighbors idiea involves roping off both trees. The one by the shed I would rope off twice cause I think here redundancy won't hurt. Use a climbing deer stand and cut the top half out. Then cut the rest down. Same idea with the other tree. But like I said I am unsure of the stability of tree #1
A good shove and I can make the tree sway 3" at the top.

The other optional tree is defiantly a job for a pro. No way I want to fool with it. Way too many branches up top. Lots of weight.

Here are pictures. I have taken 1 tree down this size in the past. Only thing was it was in the middle of nowhere and had a definate lean away from anything that could be smashed.

First picture is the tree with the rotten wood at the bottom. Circled in red for clarification.

Second picture is of the tool shed. Older pic but it will do. The hardwood directly behind the shed was taken down when I built a lean-to off the camera facing side of the shed. The tree circled in red is the dead tree. The tree in blue, if removed would make getting the dead tree down easier. The tree circled in green is the optional tree. Getting rid of it would make vehicle access to the back yard easier, like parking a trailer or such.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...d/DSC00602.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...d/DSC00604.jpg

So I am wondering...is it considerably cheaper to have a tree company come in and just get the trees down? No stump grinding or anything, just drop the trees and leave. I can handle the rest.

2002 Ford Ranger 4x4
1972 Ford F100 Sport Custom
460, C6, 9" rear, lwb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-06-2009, 11:19 PM

Send a message via MSN to fordsbyjay
How tall are they? I would cut the blue one first and hopefully use the red tree as a guide to keep it away from the shed.

That being said we were cutting trees down at my brothers acreage the other day and he had one fall 90 degrees off of where he cut it so you will be taking a risk regardless.

The question is "is the juice worth the squeeze?" Are you saving enough by doing it yourself to pay for the damage "should" it all go to hell and a hand basket? LOL. One other good point a co-worker made recently was how much will it cost you financially should you get hurt? If you can't work for 6 weeks did you save anything by doing it yourself? That's the scary one when I started thinking about all the crazy stuff I have done of the years.

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid-in-sideways, totally worn out, shouting.."holy crap.... what a ride!"
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-06-2009, 11:29 PM

Thats a real nice spot you have there!!

Roping them off will cut down the unknown a bit but you never know for sure. We heated with wood when I was a kid and we cut many trees down, every now and then you get one that does something completely wonky.

Our neighbor paid $600 to have one tree cut down, they cut up the brush but he kept the logs for his fire pit. I thought that seemed to be kinda high but they have the equipment and the risk!!

Bill

I salute our troops. Thanks for your service.

"The Key Board Warriors"

1983 Thunderbird
Big Block Power
466 Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-06-2009, 11:35 PM

I use my f350 and a long rope to pull the tree's in the direction I want when there is a structure in danger. One person cuts and another is in the truck and pulls when it is cut enough. Just make sure the chain/rope is long enough that the truck isnt in the fallen path.
Topping a tree while you are in it is very dangerous.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billandlori View Post
Thats a real nice spot you have there!!

Roping them off will cut down the unknown a bit but you never know for sure. We heated with wood when I was a kid and we cut many trees down, every now and then you get one that does something completely wonky.

Our neighbor paid $600 to have one tree cut down, they cut up the brush but he kept the logs for his fire pit. I thought that seemed to be kinda high but they have the equipment and the risk!!

Bill
I paid 1800.00 to get one sycamore taken down, it was 51/2 ft. in diameter, about 5 feet from the house, about 50 feet tall, well worth the money.

let it happen.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 12:18 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to OldRedFord
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordsbyjay View Post
How tall are they? I would cut the blue one first and hopefully use the red tree as a guide to keep it away from the shed.

That being said we were cutting trees down at my brothers acreage the other day and he had one fall 90 degrees off of where he cut it so you will be taking a risk regardless.

The question is "is the juice worth the squeeze?" Are you saving enough by doing it yourself to pay for the damage "should" it all go to hell and a hand basket? LOL. One other good point a co-worker made recently was how much will it cost you financially should you get hurt? If you can't work for 6 weeks did you save anything by doing it yourself? That's the scary one when I started thinking about all the crazy stuff I have done of the years.
All three are 30-40 feet tall.

Not my house, its my folks. I just sleep here and fix crap when it brakes.

If it ends up looking best to hire this one out, I am prepared to sit down with my dad and tell him that I will foot 1/2 to 3/4 of the bill depending on how much it is.

I figure its the least I can do for them putting up with me for 23 years and putting me through college.

Money is a issue on my dads end so that's why the tree is still up. Id just like to get it down before it takes out something.

2002 Ford Ranger 4x4
1972 Ford F100 Sport Custom
460, C6, 9" rear, lwb
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 01:07 AM

Send a message via MSN to Blackcoupe
I dont know if there is any logging going on in that area but if there is (and theres any substantial amount of wood in those three trees) call and see if any of them have a selfloader( log truck that has a loader built onto it, itd be a one man show as long as the driver had half a clue on how to run a saw) and theyd prob do it for free if you let them keep the wood if its enough for a load(depending on what kind of wood it is). If you do it yourself and you're gonna top that tree like you were saying before you fall it be VERY careful as trees can do unpredictable things when you top them.
Jr.

87 coupe 306 5spd
85gt 466/c-6 sold
85gt new project
69 4x4 460/4spd
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 01:33 AM

It's hard to tell from the pics, but it looks pretty easy. I cut trees during the winter for firewood also (old farm house with wavy windows and no insulation = lots of firewood). Just cut a V notch on the side you want it to fall toward and then start cutting on the other side. I wouldn't trust a pine with questionable roots to hold me up in it aside from the fact that's already been state that it simply is far from safe to cut the top off while you're in the tree. As said, pull it with a truck and a LONG rope if it's leaning the wrong way.

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about answers.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 05:01 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Something to look into. The state is paying a private company to do the annual tree trimming in our area. They are willing to cut down the trees along the road that need trimming if you ask them. They want what they can use for mulch. but you get to keep the big stuff. No charge.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcoupe View Post
I dont know if there is any logging going on in that area but if there is (and theres any substantial amount of wood in those three trees) call and see if any of them have a selfloader( log truck that has a loader built onto it, itd be a one man show as long as the driver had half a clue on how to run a saw) and theyd prob do it for free if you let them keep the wood if its enough for a load(depending on what kind of wood it is). If you do it yourself and you're gonna top that tree like you were saying before you fall it be VERY careful as trees can do unpredictable things when you top them.
Jr.
I will tell you from experrinse there is not enogh wood in them 3 trees for them to even coonsider it

'he never hit the brakes and he was shifting gears'

Larry (SLIM)

77 F-150 BB on 38.5's
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 06:00 AM

Considering this is part of what I do for living, I would do like some have said and Tie a rope to the top, dont make the mistake most do and use the little rope, and if there is any wind dont even think of cutting in to it, those pines do wierd things and the only time we top trees is if theyre Big oak or there is apsulatle no way to drop it, O kay when you get your Rope secured Nacth it the way you want it to fall, and then get the one doing the pulling to to tighten up the rope but dont pull to much or you will snap it, and then go just above the nocth on the other side and start cutting as you get further into the tree have them to start easing forward, until it is droping and then they need to go on, it is much easyer if when you cut it that you dont try to cut it even to the ground the first time, come up about 4-5' and start there that way if it does something un seen then it is easyer for you to get out the way with out a tree falling on you, and from experence it is not fun when they do, if you need any thing else then just ask, from what I see and could possible be more but it would be about $300 a treee to cut down

Larry (SLIM)

77 F-150 BB on 38.5's
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 10:17 AM

Send a message via MSN to Blackcoupe
Cool, I was curious how much there was,not familiar with that neck of the woods. On mine I can put 30 tons on 6axles (pretty light setup for a logtruck) but I havent hauled anything in quite a while as I got back on the water after the industry did what it did.
Good luck,
Jr

87 coupe 306 5spd
85gt 466/c-6 sold
85gt new project
69 4x4 460/4spd
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-11-2009, 08:51 AM

So did you get these trees down OldRedFord???

Bill

I salute our troops. Thanks for your service.

"The Key Board Warriors"

1983 Thunderbird
Big Block Power
466 Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 02:56 AM

How I remove trees!......gonna love this one!

After reading, I figured I'd give my thoughts on tree removal........As a heavy equip. operator, I used to clear road ways and by far the easiest and quickest way was to use a back hoe or even a mini x-cavater ( I had a huge komatsu pc300). I have pulled down trees WAY BIGGER than whats pictured with a 333 bobcat mini excavator....If youre not worried about renting a small track hoe...etc. You simply dig up enough to break the roots free, (not all of them!).....keeping a watch on how the tree's moving and get behind it with the bucket as far up as feasible and push.......It will come down.....then drag it off. No worries about renting a stump grinder...just have to worry about where your going to get dirt to fill the crater in with lol!!......Great thing about a mini-excavator got a bucket and a push blade!!!......

73' mustang coupe 514/C6
66' mustang coupe
69 GTO/clone
49' Hudson supersix/390FE Ford
proud member keyboard warriors
and the Southern group
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smasher O'Brannan View Post
After reading, I figured I'd give my thoughts on tree removal........As a heavy equip. operator, I used to clear road ways and by far the easiest and quickest way was to use a back hoe or even a mini x-cavater ( I had a huge komatsu pc300). I have pulled down trees WAY BIGGER than whats pictured with a 333 bobcat mini excavator....If youre not worried about renting a small track hoe...etc. You simply dig up enough to break the roots free, (not all of them!).....keeping a watch on how the tree's moving and get behind it with the bucket as far up as feasible and push.......It will come down.....then drag it off. No worries about renting a stump grinder...just have to worry about where your going to get dirt to fill the crater in with lol!!......Great thing about a mini-excavator got a bucket and a push blade!!!......
X2, we do that quiet a bit to

Larry (SLIM)

77 F-150 BB on 38.5's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in