Detroit Locker - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 09:49 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Detroit Locker

Guy's I have been fighting a wheelhop issue for a while. I run a set of Caltracs and the guys at Calvert have went above and beyond to help sort it out. Heres the deal I run a detroit locker no clutch type but a gear to gear like is used in nascar racing. I think this may be the problem anybody else run one? It will do this with street tires drag radials and slicks. If the track is greasy it seems like it goes away because of the lack of bite in the track. Just looking for the cure!!
Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 10:18 PM

I would think the CalTracs should stop the wheel hop, how are your shocks?? Maybe some tighter valving would help. Maybe the caltracks are hitting too hard and bouncing the tire??

Just a few thoughts,

Bill

I salute our troops. Thanks for your service.

"The Key Board Warriors"

1983 Thunderbird
Big Block Power
466 Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 11:04 PM Thread Starter

shocks

Rancho 9 way adjustable less than a year old. Exact same thoughts from Travis at caltracs
moved the bars to lessen the hit and changed the shock settings also. Same problem. Thats why Im begining to think its the locker. If Im on a clean peace of pavement and you nail it you can see where the tire is skipping for a lack of a better word. I will try to get a picture of the marks tommorow without a ticket. lol Appreciate the thoughts!!!
Steve

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 06:39 AM
Forum Contributor

It's not the locker. I'm running an old Nascar locker and the cal tracs and having zero wheelhop.

If you're using the factory leaf springs you may be fighting a losing battle. If they're weak, the cal tracs are going to make them act very strange.

MY brother had severe wheelhop with his car. All we did was change his rear springs and the wheelhop is gone.

Did you install the aluminum bushings in the spring eyes?

In Limbo at all times
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 08:45 AM

One other thought is what the Dodge super stockers used to do, clamp the front half of the leaf springs. Kinda makes it more like a 4 link with your caltracs.

If your getting wheel hop and its not hitting too hard the spring must be wrapping up and releasing, clamping the front will stop that.

Don't get a ticket!!!

Bill

"The Key Board Warriors"

1983 Thunderbird
Big Block Power
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 09:00 AM
Forum Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by billandlori View Post
One other thought is what the Dodge super stockers used to do, clamp the front half of the leaf springs. Kinda makes it more like a 4 link with your caltracs.

If your getting wheel hop and its not hitting too hard the spring must be wrapping up and releasing, clamping the front will stop that.

Don't get a ticket!!!

Bill

Calvert has told me in the past that the cal tracs need a very stiff spring to work properly. If you have a low ride height in the rear or maybe even super shackles, you're going to have trouble no matter what you do.

I should note that my bro kept testing his wheelhop issue out, and broke one of his leaf springs clean in two in the process. Wheel hop WILL tear stuff up fast.

This is a vid of my bro's car doing a burnout after we swapped in my old super stocker type springs I made up.

No hop of any kind.

In Limbo at all times
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 09:05 AM Thread Starter

Smile springs

Aluminum bushing was installed. Springs are clamped at each section. Springs are not factory but a set from st louis spring comany. Bought them in the 90's.It is one of the few things that has not been changed. Glad to here it's not the locker!!
Greg I can't remember are you running the split mono's from calvert?
Thanks,
Steve
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 09:11 AM
Forum Contributor

Steve,

Yes I am running the split monoleaf springs. I am not ready to say that I am sold on them at this point, though.

Did Travis tell you to clamp the rear of the springs? I tried that and it did not work at all.

Also, when they say to "clamp" the spring, they are not talking a solid clamp, they're talking a band type clamp to prevent separation of the leaves, but still allow the leaves to slide together.

Greg

In Limbo at all times
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 10:03 AM Thread Starter

clamp

Greg,
I had the springs clamped even before I switched to the Caltracs. It's a band type clamp to
allow the springs to move but not seperate. I should been more clear on that.
Steve
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 10:48 AM

I'm running the full Calvert Suspension on my 'Chero, never had wheel hop, the Et Street's just bite.

KenW
' 71 Ranchero GT , 466 , 4:11 Detroit Locker, Merkl Race Shop C6
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 04:53 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)

Maybe your tires are square. I have been fighting wheelhop with my car. I read somewhere about some of the MT radials not being exactly right . I jacked up my car till I could just see daylight under the tire. I spun the tire, and I can literally see that the tire is not round and is scrubbing the floor in different spots. I haven't gotten out my dial indicator yet to check the wheel, so I won't throw MT under the bus just yet. But it could be something to look at. Let us know what you find.

Where's my beer and that half inch wrench?

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u...cecar066-1.jpg
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-11-2009, 03:37 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cletus66 View Post
Maybe your tires are square. I have been fighting wheelhop with my car. I read somewhere about some of the MT radials not being exactly right . I jacked up my car till I could just see daylight under the tire. I spun the tire, and I can literally see that the tire is not round and is scrubbing the floor in different spots. I haven't gotten out my dial indicator yet to check the wheel, so I won't throw MT under the bus just yet. But it could be something to look at. Let us know what you find.
That's an interesting point. I try not to get troubled by vibration the first couple laps after rolling the car off the trailer because sometime the tires take a while to get round if they are the same as mounted for the tow. Perhaps use different rub for the transit to the track? Lockers are great.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-16-2009, 07:16 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up fixed

Guy's it took me awhile to get this finished. bought a set of mono leafs from calvert racing
and put them in thursday. Went to the track last night and all the hopping is gone. 1/4 turn of preload and the bars in the bottom hole. Hooks the best with the shocks on 8 changed them to the 2 setting and went for a wild ride way to soft!!. I will try the upper hole next weekend if I get to go. Won the index class while t&t last night also. The car does have a little more wheel spin now but i think with more fine tuning it will go away.
Heres the amazing part to me car sits exactly like it did with the old springs in it my guess is the front half of the old spring just was not stout enough.
Thanks,
Steve
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-16-2009, 07:31 PM

Good to hear you got it sorted out Steve!!

Congrats on the index win.

Bill

"The Key Board Warriors"

1983 Thunderbird
Big Block Power
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in