Awesome weekend (sorry its long) - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 04:08 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Awesome weekend (sorry its long)

Well I went to my county fair this past friday and saturday to compete in the mud sling I have placed second here the past two years so I was really hoping all my upgrades and changes the past couple weeks would help. Got there Friday night entered the truck got all prepped set tire pressures warmed up the engine and so till they called for my class(super stock) go to the staging area and I am second in the hole, well I made my first pass and just blistered the tires and ran a mid 3.2 second pass (not good at all) waited to make the second pass and I was going to be second to last so the pit dried out a little. took it to the line brought it up on the transbrake to 3800 and off I went felt real good on the launch but only posted a 3 second pass which got me third. On the way home talking we figured out after thee last outing we forgot to turn the shift rpm up truck was shifting 1200 rpm early.

OK since I figured out what happened fri. night we go back sat. ready for a good night get to the fair grounds unload the truck get everything ready to go and realize I forgot to turn the air shifter bottle off I had no air for the shifter. I entered the truck and drew 3rd from last in the hole which should be a good number. Well we get called up and first guy in the hole gets crooked and hits the wall. Well as the trucks kept going the tracks stayed right against the wall My turn come up I stage bring the truck up against the brakes and off we go slicker than the night before but I ran a very low 3.0 pass which put me in second. gets back to me and the tracks are now going against the wall right at the timing light I take the old ford up against the brake again and let her fly it hooked up tight and was flyin I hit the wall at the end but the pass felt good before i even turn to go to the trailer I get called back to the line the lights didnt work so I didnt get a time. The tell me I can let it cool off and we see that I pushed mud in the bead and a back tire is going flat fast so we get to put another tire on in 2 minutes (or less) get the tire on stage again and let it fly it hooked up even better and when I hit the wall the truck jumped up tires were above the pit walls landed for a second on the exit and launched it 3 ft off the ground again as I came around the pits to the trailer two more tires went flat. I shut the truck off and I here them call me back they didnt get my time again. i go to the announcer and tell them i need time for repairs and cool down and he says He'll let me run two trucks later so I run back and I have 50 plus people around the truck wanting to help get me back going, so we put my 2 big back tires(luckily I took four spares) on and move one of the little rears to the front and put my other spare rear on the front also added more fuel to the cell got it cooled down and get back in time to run(Thank the LORD for friends!!!) I stage up for my third second pass and mat the truck and I hit the wall agian lauching the truck in the air when it landed off comes the drivers front tire I get pulled off the track enough to be out of the way and they announce I just took the lead with a 2.974 second pass. so two more trucks and the former leader get to run he stages make a wicked pass and nearly flips his truck(chevy) trying to beat me and the clock reads 2.997. Everyone hears his time and the crowd cheers as I beat the out of town guy. This was my first win ever in 12 years of mud racing and only the second time in 6 years of racing this out of town guy I have beat him(He hates being beat and really hates ford so he was livid). It was a great feeling winning my first race in my hometown and beating this guy aswell, but it was an even better feeling when my own competitors/and friends were helping me so I could make these amazing runs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 04:11 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 04:20 PM

Glad you won, it was a good read, glad to see you got the truck moving, how long is the pits that yall run

'he never hit the brakes and he was shifting gears'

Larry (SLIM)

77 F-150 BB on 38.5's

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 04:44 PM Thread Starter

Thank you Bruno

Mr Mud generally we run 100 or 125 feet but because of no shutdown this track was 80 feet. Also generally I run at places that dont dig a hole just chisel plow/disc 8 to 12 inches deep and water down. here it is 3-4 ft deep hole with approx 16 inches of mud(red clay) and a lot of water which causes our time to be higher than average just down the road on 125 ft we run low 2.5 second passes and thank you also.

Todd
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruno View Post
congrats Todd ...great story .....you had my heart pumpin
thats not you heart your were pumpin'...............lol

69 Grande'
P51 headed 563
3070#'s
5.15 @ 134.89
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lghting94 View Post
Thank you Bruno

Mr Mud generally we run 100 or 125 feet but because of no shutdown this track was 80 feet. Also generally I run at places that dont dig a hole just chisel plow/disc 8 to 12 inches deep and water down. here it is 3-4 ft deep hole with approx 16 inches of mud(red clay) and a lot of water which causes our time to be higher than average just down the road on 125 ft we run low 2.5 second passes and thank you also.

Todd
Cool we run a 200; pit, hill and hole/bog, and a 200' sand drag, I run the bog in 9-10sec, and I have not run the flat track since my motor swap, but the 351 I was running 5.2

Larry (SLIM)

77 F-150 BB on 38.5's
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 09:36 PM
Forum Contributor

That's a good feeling when the other guys come and help out to get stuff going again. The race I was at yesterday, the fan cut a hole in the rad and a couple of the other guys were right there with water and help to get me going. A home town win is always a good feeling especially when the crowd is behind you, even sweeter when you beat a poor loser that drives a chebbie. Hard work pays off eventually.

run what ya brung and hope you brung enough
89 F150 mud drag truck
Charter member 460Ford.com "*** kissers"
BUILT 460Ford.com forum TOUGH. Assembled by me and all my friends here. It don't get no better than that.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 10:15 PM

Congrats on the win!
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 09:18 PM

congratulations on your win

1997 ranger

If you cant run with the big dogs stay in the pits
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 09:53 PM Thread Starter

Thank you guys This site has helped me to get the truck where it is!
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-15-2009, 03:46 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)

Sounds like you earned it with all the between run thrashing. Good work !!!!!!!

Where's my beer and that half inch wrench?

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u...cecar066-1.jpg
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-17-2009, 07:08 AM Thread Starter

Talking Update

Well last week was my first win ever went to another fair last night and had a great time but made the night even better by backing up last weeks win with another one. The old blue ford is puttin the hurt on some shivverlays lately and it feels GOOD!!

Also Cletus you are correct that win wasn't possible without all the thrashing and I am so glad I have such good friends willing to help me out.

Last edited by lghting94; 07-17-2009 at 07:09 AM. Reason: spelling
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-17-2009, 11:55 PM

Wink

Todd,

Congrats on your 2nd win in 2 weeks and making the Chevy guys mad.

Later Mark.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-18-2009, 05:03 AM
Forum Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lghting94 View Post
Well last week was my first win ever went to another fair last night and had a great time but made the night even better by backing up last weeks win with another one. The old blue ford is puttin the hurt on some shivverlays lately and it feels GOOD!!

Also Cletus you are correct that win wasn't possible without all the thrashing and I am so glad I have such good friends willing to help me out.

Where is your home track, and what is the rules for the super stock class?

David,

A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.

1977 F-150 4X4 SWB
Mud/Dirt drags.
460 + ?
4.5 Bore X ?

and who cares,
if your winning your cheating, just ask the
bowtie guys
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-18-2009, 06:05 AM

Congrats man

Larry (SLIM)

77 F-150 BB on 38.5's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in